680i build needs finishing touches.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Its seems that I've seen thousands of these posts looking for advice on a system build. I always thought in the back of my head, "They could answer their own question with benchmark results and a budget." Here I am, half way into a build, and stumped. Some brutal honesty would be much appreciated.

What I have so far:
Silverstone Temjin TJ09
PCPower&Cooling 750W Silencer
eVGA 680i A1
4GB (1GBx4) Patriot DDR2 800 PDC22G6400LLK

What I still need:
CPU | thinking E6600 C2D
Graphics card

I flop around on my upgrade path for a graphics card constantly. The real truth is this a terrible time to buy a card and any money spent is going to be wasted in less than 6 months. Part of me feels cheap out and suffer now and be happy with an upgrade later. The other part says just get something high powered and dont look back, be happy now. Its like split personalities. Part of my build includes a new monitor. (2707FPW) The native res is 1920x1200 and I'm hoping to get decent FPS but I can wait for great gaming performance. There is nothing Im super hot to play at the moment.

I jumped the gun with the 4GB of RAM to a degree. I will be wasting a bit of money on RAM if I dont get a 64-bit OS. I fear one possible mistake might be driving me into another. I could use 2GB of that for another build (HTPC) so its not so terrible I guess.

My budget is somewhat flexible. If I see lasting value and quality I am willing to pay for it. If its a flash in the pan I will not be pleased. Anyhoo, hit me.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
More info is needed to help pick a card, what type of gaming, other uses, monitor default sizes.

The e6600 is a solid CPU, will be nice for at least a year.

I would go with an 8800, but you might not need that.