AMD Phenom delayed until 1Q08?

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20070702PD201.html

AMD intends to modify its process technology to increase the yield rate and frequencies of Phenom processors in order to improve the competitiveness of the CPUs against Intel's Penryn family, said the sources. AMD has already notified several motherboard makers that Phenom will now begin test-production in November or December, and will launch in first quarter of 2008, noted the sources.

If this is true, it looks like there will be no desktop K10 in 07 then... :(

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

AMD intends to modify its process technology to increase the yield rate and frequencies of Phenom processors in order to improve the competitiveness of the CPUs against Intel's Penryn family, said the sources. AMD has already notified several motherboard makers that Phenom will now begin test-production in November or December, and will launch in first quarter of 2008, noted the sources.

Its OK. They're just doing it to hide K10 from Intel so Intel cant react :p :wink:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I'd heard that they won't have the desktop quad core out until Q1 2008, and that doesn't bother me all that much. I still wish they'd call it Agena, as Phenom is the lamest name I can think of for a CPU line.

What I'll most likely do is get a Phenom when Nvidia has their integrated graphics DX10 hybrid SLI chipset on AMD boards. That's when I think it will be worth it, not on an AM2 board.

I'd love to have a 65 watt quad core Phenom on an AM2+ board with 4 gigs of DDR2 where the DX10 IGP can take over from an 8800GTS class card when the PCIe card isn't needed, and add to the card's power when it is.

Short of Fusion working out similarly in a few years, that's the best I can imagine for a budget gaming/multimedia system. AMD needs to implement some hybrid Crossfire on their upcoming DX10 IGP boards.

Actually, there needs to be one standard where, in the future, an AMD Fusion CPU would work alonside a discreet GPU from anyone, including Nvidia and Intel, using the power saving features of hybrid SLI.

I really hope the Inquirer's not wrong on this, they're the only source I've found for a mention of hybrid SLI implemented in end of this year Nvidia IGP chipsets.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Dream on...

Back to reality, Intel needs to cut a deal with Nvidia and license its sli tech. (Although I might guess that they actually make more money selling MB chipsets than actual MB's...)

endyen

Splendid
(Although I might guess that they actually make more money selling MB chipsets than actual MB's...)
I wouldn't put money on that!
Asus stopped being a boardmaker for Intel, because it just cost too much.
Since intel is buying the boards at rock bottom prices, then selling them at a premium, I'd say they do pretty good with the board sector.
If they weren't, they would probably just buy a second tier maker, like gigabyte, and actually manufacture the boards themselves.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
(Although I might guess that they actually make more money selling MB chipsets than actual MB's...)
I wouldn't put money on that!
Asus stopped being a boardmaker for Intel, because it just cost too much.
Since intel is buying the boards at rock bottom prices, then selling them at a premium, I'd say they do pretty good with the board sector.
If they weren't, they would probably just buy a second tier maker, like gigabyte, and actually manufacture the boards themselves.

Ok, for the sake of an esoteric discussion...

I was under the impression that Intel DID make their own intel-branded MB's (or at least spec the entire process and then farm out the actual board assembly). I am sore that there are some left on this forum that might clarify that bit though...

As to Asus not making Intel MB's... I don't think you actually mean that they are making p35 MB's without buying a p35 chipset from Intel? I'd have to imagine that would violate some few agreements at the least.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007

If it is true, then 4Q07 is going to really suck for AMD. The whole idea was to launch in time for Xmas. Hopefully, this rumor is just a bunch of bs.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

This is disapointing but if they do still launch "on-time" in late 2007, you can bet that they are all going to the server market (Sun) and then to large companies like Dell and then to us last as a standalone part. It will also take some time to ramp up production and phase out the older K8 based chips.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I don't like to trust people that quote "our sources". This story is rather believable because of all the trouble AMD has been having, but I really think AMD knows better than to push it back.

Actually everyone knows it better, yet, and that is why the story is so believeable, AMD will delay it anyway.

TechInspector

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I'm confused, if the motherboard makers said that they were informed by AMD, but AMD claims that they never said any such thing, then who's telling the truth here. :?:

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
While I think that AMD is probably scared of Penryn, I would imagine that it would be better to get something out as fast as possible. We'll see how the numbers for Q2 shake out, but for some reason, I feel that Intel either maintained or gained MSS.

AMD needs a decent competative product and missing Christmas reaaaaallly won't help their financials. They've already ignored back to school sales, they probably don't want to miss another. However, if they can show soon that Barcy is the best thing since sliced bread, maybe they can have people hold off purchases until Barcy is actually purchaseable (especially at the corporate level). The game is getting interesting (or so we hope!).

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
AMD has rebutted allegations that the launch date of its long-awaited Phenom processor has been delayed to Q1 2008 after the chip company fell behind on its original Q4 2007 release schedule.

A DigiTimes report says sources at unnamed motherboard makers maintained the delay is due to AMD's wish to increase the yield rate and frequencies of Phenom processors, in an effort to improve the CPU's competitiveness against Intel's upcoming 45nm 'Penryn' Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads.
Click here to find out more!

It was originally thought that AMD was still on track to release four processor models under the Phenom brand during Q4, more specifically around November this year. This was thought to include the Phenom FX-80, the dual-core Phenom X2 GS-6550 and two quad-core Phenom X4s, the GP-7100 and the GP-7000.

Despite the sources claiming that AMD has already contacted several motherboard makers with news that Phenom will begin a test production process between November and December 2007, but not launch until the first quarter of 2008, the chip giant still maintains that its H2 2007 release schedule has not changed.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/02/amd_denies_phenom_delays/

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
While I think that AMD is probably scared of Penryn, I would imagine that it would be better to get something out as fast as possible. We'll see how the numbers for Q2 shake out, but for some reason, I feel that Intel either maintained or gained MSS.

AMD needs a decent competative product and missing Christmas reaaaaallly won't help their financials. They've already ignored back to school sales, they probably don't want to miss another. However, if they can show soon that Barcy is the best thing since sliced bread, maybe they can have people hold off purchases until Barcy is actually purchaseable (especially at the corporate level). The game is getting interesting (or so we hope!).

I agree. They need to show something, and at this point sooner is better. Too miss Xmas would be bad, but on the otherhand, the 2.0GHz K10 server SKUs in Q3 dont sound that inviting. If they can get Phenom to 2.5~2.6Ghz by going to a Jan08 launch instead of a 2.0~2.2GHz Q307 launch, it may have some positive PR value....the whole 'first impressions have the greatest impact" thingamajig.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
AMD has rebutted allegations that the launch date of its long-awaited Phenom processor has been delayed to Q1 2008 after the chip company fell behind on its original Q4 2007 release schedule.

A DigiTimes report says sources at unnamed motherboard makers maintained the delay is due to AMD's wish to increase the yield rate and frequencies of Phenom processors, in an effort to improve the CPU's competitiveness against Intel's upcoming 45nm 'Penryn' Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads.
Click here to find out more!

It was originally thought that AMD was still on track to release four processor models under the Phenom brand during Q4, more specifically around November this year. This was thought to include the Phenom FX-80, the dual-core Phenom X2 GS-6550 and two quad-core Phenom X4s, the GP-7100 and the GP-7000.

Despite the sources claiming that AMD has already contacted several motherboard makers with news that Phenom will begin a test production process between November and December 2007, but not launch until the first quarter of 2008, the chip giant still maintains that its H2 2007 release schedule has not changed.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/02/amd_denies_phenom_delays/

Well, The Inq is about as credible as its printed counterpart, the Enquirer. Digitimes credibility however, is a different story (prolly the Inqs "source" in this case)

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070702PD201.html

In either case, until AMD confirms this publically, it falls into the catagory of so much guesstimation.

nilo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Multiple sources tell us that Barcelona will be delayed. In fact all sources say the same (except for official AMD press releases) H ere is another such source:

http://www.fabtech.org/content/view/3083/

sailer

Splendid

Its OK. They're just doing it to hide K10 from Intel so Intel cant react :p :wink:

:idea: And by hiding K10 from people, people can't react, like maybe buying the chip and giving AMD some profit. Then agin, why does AMD need profits?