My son previously installed Lotus 5.0 and and Front Page Express and
although they both are working fine, I have no need for either and would
like to uninstall them. However, neither show up in the add/remove programs
nor does a search of their program files show an uninstall file. What are
my options?

"JKR" wrote:

> My son previously installed Lotus 5.0 and and Front Page Express and
> although they both are working fine, I have no need for either and would
> like to uninstall them. However, neither show up in the add/remove programs
> nor does a search of their program files show an uninstall file. What are
> my options?
>

> this is one question i'd like to see the answer to

If you have the original CDs you can probably remove them by running setup in
the program. It works for Microsoft products. There will be a choice to
remove. I'm not sure with Lotus. You might have to reinstall Lotus over the
current install and then see if it shows up in Add/Remove so you can
uninstall it properly.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"JKR" wrote:

> My son previously installed Lotus 5.0 and and Front Page Express and
> although they both are working fine, I have no need for either and would
> like to uninstall them. However, neither show up in the add/remove programs
> nor does a search of their program files show an uninstall file. What are
> my options?

Just because Windows XP has the Add or Remove Programs feature it doesn't
mean your application will appear in the list.

Some items are hidden from Add or Remove Programs intentionally.

[[The simplest, safest and recommended way to uninstall an application is
via 'Add/Remove Programs' (in Control Panel).

Some applications (particularly older ones) do not create an entry in the
'Add/Remove Programs' list, but instead create an "uninstall" or "remove"
shortcut in the Start > Program Groups menu.

The remainder of these notes are intended only if you have tried the above,
and the application will not uninstall.]]

How to manually uninstall an application
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uninstall.htm

Uninstall Programs Manually
http://www.theeldergeek.com/manually_uninstall_programs.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uNdnYdNeFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
JKR <JackofAtl@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> My son previously installed Lotus 5.0 and and Front Page Express and
> although they both are working fine, I have no need for either and would
> like to uninstall them. However, neither show up in the add/remove
> programs nor does a search of their program files show an uninstall file.
> What are my options?

Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked the question because it has become a learning
experience for this old geezer.

The Lotus 5.0 resides in a folder C:123R5W. It was installed from seven
floppies and a review of each under Windows Explorer shows no uninstall
files. (I'm surprised it even runs under Windows XP). Further, the 300
page users manual (oh, the good old days) makes no reference to uninstalling
the program. I have checked each of the keys in the registry and find
nothing relating to either 123 or to Lotus. My inclination is that a simple
delete of the folder and its contents might be all that is needed but I will
put that off until I am completely sure.

Likewise, Front Page Express also does not show up in the registry keys.
From my understanding, this was a Microsoft program written for Windows 98
or before, and may also require just a deletion. That too shall wait.

Wesley, in one of the articles you referenced, it mentioned that renaming
the folders and allowing them to stay on your computer for some period of
time before deleting might be prudent to determine whether a subsequent
deletion would be successful. Have I interpreted this correctly?

"JKR" <JackofAtl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My son previously installed Lotus 5.0 and and Front Page Express and
> although they both are working fine, I have no need for either and would
> like to uninstall them. However, neither show up in the add/remove
> programs nor does a search of their program files show an uninstall file.
> What are my options?

JKR,

Yes. It seems like a safe, reasonable idea.

[[Whilst it is tempting to simply delete the directory ('Some Company' or
'Some Product' in the above examples), it is strongly suggested that you
instead rename it instead. Add '.old' to the directory name. This will have
the same effect as deleting it - in that shortcuts etc will be broken so the
application will not run but it has the advantage that if you need to
"undelete" it later then you can simply rename the directory. If after a few
days or weeks of running without problem then delete the old directory.]]
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uninstall.htm

Lotus 5.0
[[Originally scheduled to be released in late 1997, version 5.0 is now
scheduled to arrive in January 1998.]]

[[Although Microsoft discourages using INI files in favor of Registry
entries, some applications (particularly 16-bit Windows-based applications)
still use INI files. ]]
From Windows 95 Registry Overview

It looks to me, I have no experience with Lotus anything, that Lotus 5.0 was
probably written for Windows 95 or even Windows 3.xx. So having no registry
entries for Lotus 5.0 is not surprising. However, I wouldn't be surprised
if Lotus 5.0 modified your system.ini and win.ini.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User