Case suggestion please

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007

APieceOfCheese

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
If you want the 900 that badly, just make your own filters. Get some type of fine breathable mesh-like material and cut it to fit in front of the fan.

ajw84

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
i have the Antec 900 and i haven't had any real dust problem so i would highly recommend it.

a mate of mine has the gigabyte and it is one beautiful case, and very large with lots of space. however the airflow is fairly poor. but it's ready for water cooling if thats your plans.

if not the 900 is the case for you.

A.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
how much dust a case collects is a function of the environment its in. If your current system collects a lot of dust, a new system will to. Th only thing you can do is filter it.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Okay, I own the antec 900 and just recently put my new rig into it. It is a tight fit to get everything in there. Granted, my rig is full of stuf like tuners, soundcards+headers, and whatnot so it was definately harder to manage the cables. I wholey recommend the p182 over the 900, I built an identical rig on the p182 previous to my current rig and the difference is substantial, everything in the p182 was thought out to make construction as simple as possible while maintaining a clean looking interior. Why they choose a fricken close sided case to employ this innovation is beyond me, since the obvious choice would be to have the 900 with the cable management holes. Anyway, I spent 4-5 hours on prep alone, drilling holes, mounting the PSU, routing cables and finally squeezing in all my compenents into the case. In the end the case isnt as pretty as i had hoped and the back panel bulges a bit from all the wires routed behind the mobo plate (non removeable).

In short. Antec 182 is the better choice, and the case I had wished I had bought when I began the construction phase on the 900. Had I not already mutilated the case with several dremel-cut holes I would have returned it and swapped it for the p182.

Apparently there will be a version of the 900 with the holes for easy cable management and I will definately be purchasing it and junking the case I have at present. The cost, effort, and time just isnt justifiable to me to recommend the 900 to anyone until they incorporate the CM seen in the p182's.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
He could also run a vacuum cleaner through the room every week :p

If you really want to deal with dust issues, you have to do much more than vacuum the room. For example, in forced air-heated places, plan on getting a better filtering system and having the ducts professionally cleaned. And there will still be dust around, so cases with filters are a good idea, assuming you'll do the maintenance.

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Okay, I own the antec 900 and just recently put my new rig into it. It is a tight fit to get everything in there. Granted, my rig is full of stuf like tuners, soundcards+headers, and whatnot so it was definately harder to manage the cables. I wholey recommend the p182 over the 900, I built an identical rig on the p182 previous to my current rig and the difference is substantial, everything in the p182 was thought out to make construction as simple as possible while maintaining a clean looking interior. Why they choose a fricken close sided case to employ this innovation is beyond me, since the obvious choice would be to have the 900 with the cable management holes. Anyway, I spent 4-5 hours on prep alone, drilling holes, mounting the PSU, routing cables and finally squeezing in all my compenents into the case. In the end the case isnt as pretty as i had hoped and the back panel bulges a bit from all the wires routed behind the mobo plate (non removeable).

In short. Antec 182 is the better choice, and the case I had wished I had bought when I began the construction phase on the 900. Had I not already mutilated the case with several dremel-cut holes I would have returned it and swapped it for the p182.

Apparently there will be a version of the 900 with the holes for easy cable management and I will definately be purchasing it and junking the case I have at present. The cost, effort, and time just isnt justifiable to me to recommend the 900 to anyone until they incorporate the CM seen in the p182's.
I heard some people complaing about p82 case that an 8800 gts wont fit...Cause i am getting an gts card another reason of getting antec nine hundred cause it has better cooling then p82 case especially the 200 mm fan. I am getting q6600 cpu after price drop on july22 I believe thermalright 120 extreme wont fit on my antec nine hundred case, I can get tuniq tower it definatly going to fit on my antec nine hundred case though but it would be good if i could've goten an 120 extreme fit inside my antec nine hundred Unless I change my case to this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154
not sure about Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case any one owned this case here?

Even an 8800 GTX will fit in the P182. Rather close fit, but it will fit, just leave a hard disk bay empty. The GTS is 1.5" smaller than the GTX, it should fit too.
The Thermaltake Armor is huge, it won't have any such issues.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I just bought a P182 and put in an 8800GTX. Fits fine.

Nice and quiet with 3 120mm fans. Excellent airflow.

I'd never built a system before and it was a snap. The case gave my chubby fingers lots of room to manuever. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It also has filters. Had it less than a month so I'm not sure how dusty it'll get inside, but the filters are washable.

Nice!!!

Do you have an aftermarket cooler? Is it big? I'm just asking because I read some posts where people said they couldn't fit a Tuniq Tower or some other models in the P182.

What about the fans, did they come with the case or did you buy them separately?

Thanks!

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Nice!!!

Do you have an aftermarket cooler? Is it big? I'm just asking because I read some posts where people said they couldn't fit a Tuniq Tower or some other models in the P182.

What about the fans, did they come with the case or did you buy them separately?

Thanks!

The fans come with the case... 1 blows air out the top back, 1 out the back top, and there's 1 in the lower HD cage.

I put in an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro... I'm not into OC'ing, but I thought I might to OC a little. At least when I get around to trying, I should be ok.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10450AC4602&vpn=FREEZER-7-PRO&manufacture=ARCTIC COOLING

I don't know how the Tuniq tower compares size-wise, but there's plenty of room with the Arctic Freezer, so I would assume a Tuniq would fit as well.

All around a great case... great air flow... quiet... big.

That's great news, thanks. It means I can take "replace fans" off my list and save $70 or whatever :p I was thinking of getting some Scythe fans or SilenX, but if it's quiet enough already with the original fans I won't bother.

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I haven't used one myself but have heard from anumber of sources that the Coolermaster Centurion is a good cooling case with filtration and for around 70$

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
If you want cheap and nice, get the Aerocool Masstige, though i doubt that it is very nice to clean. Not as big as the baydream but a bit cheaper.

5h!t, 1 more post and i go to hell.

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Get this armor instead. It has 250mm fan on the side panel for additional airflow and much cooling. I got one of this and it is very well worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

By the way what's the rest of your system?
That case kinda little expensive 8O.My new build going to be q6600 cpu ,2 gig ram,P35 gigabyte PS3R,gts 8800 640 mb, 750 psu,500 gb hd, Thermalright 120 EXTREME hs.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Get this armor instead. It has 250mm fan on the side panel for additional airflow and much cooling. I got one of this and it is very well worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

By the way what's the rest of your system?
That case kinda little expensive 8O.My new build going to be q6600 cpu ,2 gig ram,P35 gigabyte PS3R,gts 8800 640 mb, 750 psu,500 gb hd, Thermalright 120 EXTREME hs.

I agree with Chuck about the Armor being worth it. Good quality throughout, great airflow, functional filters.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I know it is expensive. I'm just suggesting it, in case you have some extra cash for the budget. But my important advice first of all is to get the main components first. You can actually get a very cheap case granted if you don't move it around or you don't go to lan parties.

You can even have a shoe box for a case and spend all that money focusing on the main components like the cpu and graphics which is the must important.

If you are overclocking, change the cpu cooler to Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. That way you have the air cooling and give more stability to the overclocked cpu.

But as for your selection get the Antec 900. I believe the Ultra-120 Extreme fits in the Antec 900. Can anyone confirm this?