Secondary hard drive disappears after "sleeping"

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 2, 2007 7:42:34 AM

I just recently added a secondary hard drive- 500 gig SATA 3 GB/s.

Because my motherboard doesn't support sata 3 gb/s I put the jumper in to force 1.5 gb/s. I have no problems with the hard drive except when I put my computer in sleep mode.

When I turn my computer back on the hard drive disappears. It doesn't show up anywhere. The only way for it to come back is to restart my computer.

Any ideas?

More about : secondary hard drive disappears sleeping

July 3, 2007 1:33:05 PM

First rule of thumb when you post your problems, your best bet is to post your specs of your system.

Post that, including your O/S in your reply. A lot of people put their system in their signature to save them the trouble of typing it in when they need help.
a b G Storage
July 3, 2007 3:55:43 PM

Forley:

Does it disappear from Disk Management? From Device Manager?
Does this occur in suspend mode? Do you hear any beeps as it is sleeping?
Related resources
July 4, 2007 9:37:00 AM

I'm Runnin:

Windows XP Pro
Abit KV8 Pro
Athalon 64 3000+
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Primary HD 160gb Mator sata
Secondary HD 500gb samsung sata 3.0 gb/s (jumper set to force 1.5 gb/s)

I have had no problems with this new Samsung HD. It is quick and works great- except the disappearing after sleep mode, and only sleep mode. Doesn't make any funny noises.

Once I wake up computer it doesn't show up in disk management or windows explorer. Once computer restarts, no problems.
July 4, 2007 10:22:37 AM

I know that this doesn't really help you, but I never use standby/hibernate mode. I have seen too many times that computers with it enabled have problems when resuming. Set power options to turn off the monitor and HDD but never standby or hibernate. As far as I'm concerned MS never got that right, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
a b G Storage
July 4, 2007 5:06:27 PM

Check your event long in System Management. Anything out of the ordinary?
August 15, 2007 8:55:38 PM

I have the exact same issue. My second drive is a WD 150GB. I too can see it in my computer before I hibernate but after it is gone and not in the device manager. I also have to restart to see it but as soon as I hibernate and awake it is gone.

Any help is appreciated

I'm running XP home edition
CPU AMD|A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K R
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 R
MB ASUS M2N-E SLI NF500 SLI AM2
HD Primary 250G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD2500KS
HD Secondary Western Digital 150 GB PATA
a b G Storage
August 15, 2007 10:41:16 PM

This may sound a bit odd, but disconnect the SATA cable from both motherboard and hard drive, wait a couple of seconds the reconnect. This is kinda like re-seating a component and can clear up your problem.
!