CALLING YOUR EXPERTISE for a few watercooling questions

pattherat111

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
Hi
im thinking about setting up a water cooling setup to cool my rig.
i have a few queries that you may be able to answer if you can thats great :D.

Before i ask here are the things im going to cool

E6850 overclocked hopefully to 4+ Ghz (or open to suggestions to something better)

Gigabyte 8800GTX overclocked not sure what too but something
with the following:
Apogee GTX
DD GTX V/C blcok
Black ice 360 Stealth
DD D5
Clearflex 60
DD MCT-05 coolant
Double Bay floppy reservoir
DD= Danger Den

So my queries.

1. i was thinking about running the loop in paralell because of all the heat that will be dumped into the line is this a good idea

2. Thinking about cooling the NB because i know the DFI 680i gets hot from high overclocks. is it worth the money

3. Comment on the setup
Thankyou in advance

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Should work out fairly well for you. Look for some Swiftech parts, rad/pump especially, as that might save you a bit of money, they tend to price their stuff far more competitively than DD. Also, that rad is a trip, right? I can't keep track of how they name them, but you're going to want at least a triple rad. Depending on your case, consider a passive resevoir such as this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2235/ex-res-90/XSPC_Passive_150mm_Reservoir_-_BLACK.html?tl=g30c97s167

They help quite a bit actually, especially if there's good airflow in the case, if you can't fit one a bay one will be fine. Koolance offers essentially the exact same block for the GTX for 30 bucks less:
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=405
You can find it a bit cheaper if you shop around. I would consider cooling the NB if you plan on pushing much beyond 4Ghz. Monitor your temps carefully.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
As long as you have the capacity to dissipate the heat generated in your loop through your radiator, you won't need to run your loop in parallel. Just set your loop to run like this:

Reservoir > CPU > GPU > Northbridge > Pump > Radiator > Reservoir

This will put the coolest fluid on your CPU, and your warmest fluid on your Northbridge chipset, and any heat that dumps from the pump will be lost in the radiator and reservoir.

The idea with water cooling is not to get your cooling loop to the lowest temperature possible (though this is a laudable effort), but to keep it all at a stable temperature without a significant change, ao any heat that is dumped into the loop is immediately dissipated through your radiator.

As far as cooling the mainboard chipset, it's pretty much a wash. If you have active cooling on the Northbridge already, and hate the noise generated by 40mm fans (like I do) then it is an investment in your sanity. Don't expect any magical improvement in temperatures or performance, though, like you get on your CPU and GPU. Just remember to have some active fans cooling your case, since you still have RAM and power suppy MOFSETs on the mainboard that still need some active cooling.

pattherat111

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
yes it is a triple radiator. Im not sure on the DD pump i was thinking about a koolance pump reservoir combo but dont know anything about them. If i dont get the combo i might think about the Swiftech pump .

Thanks for yuor help on the queries i had it cleared them up