Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista 64 wont install updates

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 14, 2010 5:50:52 PM

I am running a laptop and the system needs new updates. Its running Vista 64 Ultimate. The best thing is that the updates show. I tell it to install. It installs and says they were successfull. But if I restart Windows or check for more updates, the same ones come back saying they need to be installed.

Sometimes they try to install then they have an error. I have tried every MS fix, deleted the SoftwareDistrobution folder and even scaned for viruses such as Aluron.Gen/Aluron.H which are known to stop updates. Nothin.

Anyone else have any idea what it could be? My mind is racked with this one.
Related resources
July 14, 2010 9:11:27 PM

Tried everything from your first post except a sfc. Might try that now. But man I have never seen anything like it. I have had some that had Aluron, easy fix with MSE. But this has nothin. Going to try a SFC now and will post again later.

BTW, its running NOD32.... that wont screw with it would it?
m
l
July 14, 2010 11:08:55 PM

Tried everything. SFC couldn't run properly. CCleaner did nothing usefull. I unfortunatley do not happen to have a copy of Vista with SP2 yet and have yet to make a slipstream disk since there is no real easy way to do it like with XP.

Tried the link that Scottq posted. Nothin. Its kinda weird too. I watched on of the install attempts and it said there was 15 updates needed. Well then it said it was installing update 1 of 3. Then it said all 15 failed. I have never seen it.

Its for a customer though so I said screw it and started a old files (nice Vista/7 feature) since he was ok with that. But man..... I have never had that problem.

Thanks for thew help though.
m
l

Best solution

July 14, 2010 11:33:42 PM

There are other ways to start the chkdsk function here.

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-che...

Well I have had problems with installing updates before. It was the background intelligence function being hosed. I tried everything for months. Finally just reinstalled the OS. Just a thought, but perhaps some of the updates that are already installed are corrupted and corrupting further extenssions of updating generally? Myself...LOL, I would uninstall every update I could through update uninstall feature and add/remove programs. If I couldn't solve it that way, I would do a fresh fomat and install of Vista and try again. Note, there has been recent updates to MS .Net framework. I had a Win 7 virtual machine fail updating due to .NET frame work. I had to do a complete delete and reinstall of .NET to VM. I fixed it by 'redoing' .NET framework. A long shot, but you could possibly try this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Window...
July 14, 2010 11:41:16 PM

Yeah. I haven't had anything with my homes 7 machine go wrong yet. But then again its a custom build thats highly maintained with no crapware on it. This on the other hand is a customers laptop thats a Dell.

Either way reinstall is starting. Makes a Windows.old to the side that will save the files to be able to transfer the needed documents and such.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 14, 2010 10:48:18 AM

Best answer selected by buwish.
m
l
!