I am running a laptop and the system needs new updates. Its running Vista 64 Ultimate. The best thing is that the updates show. I tell it to install. It installs and says they were successfull. But if I restart Windows or check for more updates, the same ones come back saying they need to be installed.

Sometimes they try to install then they have an error. I have tried every MS fix, deleted the SoftwareDistrobution folder and even scaned for viruses such as Aluron.Gen/Aluron.H which are known to stop updates. Nothin.

Anyone else have any idea what it could be? My mind is racked with this one.

Solution
There are other ways to start the chkdsk function here.

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Well I have had problems with installing updates before. It was the background intelligence function being hosed. I tried everything for months. Finally just reinstalled the OS. Just a thought, but perhaps some of the updates that are already installed are corrupted and corrupting further extenssions of updating generally? Myself...LOL, I would uninstall every update I could through update uninstall feature and add/remove programs. If I couldn't solve it that way, I would do a fresh fomat and install of Vista and try again. Note, there has been recent updates to MS .Net framework. I had a...
Tried everything from your first post except a sfc. Might try that now. But man I have never seen anything like it. I have had some that had Aluron, easy fix with MSE. But this has nothin. Going to try a SFC now and will post again later.

BTW, its running NOD32.... that wont screw with it would it?

Tried everything. SFC couldn't run properly. CCleaner did nothing usefull. I unfortunatley do not happen to have a copy of Vista with SP2 yet and have yet to make a slipstream disk since there is no real easy way to do it like with XP.

Tried the link that Scottq posted. Nothin. Its kinda weird too. I watched on of the install attempts and it said there was 15 updates needed. Well then it said it was installing update 1 of 3. Then it said all 15 failed. I have never seen it.

Its for a customer though so I said screw it and started a old files (nice Vista/7 feature) since he was ok with that. But man..... I have never had that problem.

Thanks for thew help though.

There are other ways to start the chkdsk function here.

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Well I have had problems with installing updates before. It was the background intelligence function being hosed. I tried everything for months. Finally just reinstalled the OS. Just a thought, but perhaps some of the updates that are already installed are corrupted and corrupting further extenssions of updating generally? Myself...LOL, I would uninstall every update I could through update uninstall feature and add/remove programs. If I couldn't solve it that way, I would do a fresh fomat and install of Vista and try again. Note, there has been recent updates to MS .Net framework. I had a Win 7 virtual machine fail updating due to .NET frame work. I had to do a complete delete and reinstall of .NET to VM. I fixed it by 'redoing' .NET framework. A long shot, but you could possibly try this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643

Solution
Yeah. I haven't had anything with my homes 7 machine go wrong yet. But then again its a custom build thats highly maintained with no crapware on it. This on the other hand is a customers laptop thats a Dell.

Either way reinstall is starting. Makes a Windows.old to the side that will save the files to be able to transfer the needed documents and such.