Check if DVD is blank?

June 24, 2005 5:02:26 PM

When I put a blank CD-R in a DVD-CD drive, the drive's property shows that
the disc is blank (it indicates that used space is 0 and free space is
702MB).

But when I put a blank DVD+R in the same drive, its property does not show
whether the disc is blank or not (it indicates both used and free space
equal to zero).

So, how can one check if a DVD disc is blank or not?

The OS is WindowsXP Pro and the DVD-CD drive is a Pioneer DVR-A09.

Thanks in advance, Gerhard

More about : check dvd blank

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:02:27 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:02:26 -0400, Gerhard wrote:

> When I put a blank CD-R in a DVD-CD drive, the drive's property shows that
> the disc is blank (it indicates that used space is 0 and free space is
> 702MB).
>
> But when I put a blank DVD+R in the same drive, its property does not show
> whether the disc is blank or not (it indicates both used and free space
> equal to zero).
>
> So, how can one check if a DVD disc is blank or not?
>
> The OS is WindowsXP Pro and the DVD-CD drive is a Pioneer DVR-A09.
>
> Thanks in advance, Gerhard

If viewed in Explorer are there any contents visible?

XP and a DVD drive can read DVD disks but cannot record to them. (NOTE: dvd
player and codecs needed for viewing some multimedia). Since there is no
recording ability, that could explain no free/used space being shown.
Workaround: view/analyze the disk using your DVD burning software.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

news:o toGtVOeFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:02:26 -0400, Gerhard wrote:
>
>> When I put a blank CD-R in a DVD-CD drive, the drive's property shows
>> that
>> the disc is blank (it indicates that used space is 0 and free space is
>> 702MB).
>>
>> But when I put a blank DVD+R in the same drive, its property does not
>> show
>> whether the disc is blank or not (it indicates both used and free space
>> equal to zero).
>>
>> So, how can one check if a DVD disc is blank or not?
>>
>> The OS is WindowsXP Pro and the DVD-CD drive is a Pioneer DVR-A09.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Gerhard
>
> If viewed in Explorer are there any contents visible?
>
> XP and a DVD drive can read DVD disks but cannot record to them. (NOTE:
> dvd
> player and codecs needed for viewing some multimedia). Since there is no
> recording ability, that could explain no free/used space being shown.
> Workaround: view/analyze the disk using your DVD burning software.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Also go onto the Pioneer website, and update the flash on the dvd.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_3...

snip>
To customers using the Pioneer DVD/CD writers "DVR-109 series"Pioneer is
offering a free upgrade for certain DVR-109/109BK, DVR-A09XLA/XLB/XLC,
DVR-109XLA1/XLB1/XLC1, and DVR-109AXL/BXL/EXL DVD/CD writers to correct a
problem that may occur when recording on DVD+RW discs. If the host computer
experiences a buffer underrun during +RW recording, user data may record
improperly on the disc and may not be retrievable. The problem can be fixed
by downloading and installing the free Firmware Update (v1.09), which is
available here. All users of DVR-109 and DVR-A09 drives with firmware
versions of 1.05 or lower are encouraged to install this Update.<snip

--
Pete S
!