Another AGP Question

magic_mahi_mahi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Hello all (new member to the forum) I have a question, but first off let me say that i don't know a lot about computers. I can build one, but actually knowing what is going on in what I build is a different story. So here's my problem: I need a new video card to play games like WOW, KOTOR, City of Heroes, Sims 2, Guild Wars etc. and maybe even Oblivion (though I don't expect perfection). And the card I was hoping to get was this one:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102071

and I have this mobo:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00069442&lc=en

Do you all think they will be compatible? I know they are both AGP 4x/8x but I wanna be sure.

P.S. Do you think I could run tough games like Oblivion on my system?

1 gig of RAM
300 gig drive
X1950 Pro (I hope)
AMD Athlon XP 2100 Mhz 3000+
Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

Thanks a lot for listening to my rant :p.

Garrett

Are you in the middle of building this or is it an existing build if it is an existing builb what do you have in it for a graphics card at the min?
As they are both AGP them yes it will go as for the psu im not an expert on these but i beleive it will be ok.
There is a sticky all about psu`s i beleive if you wish to check it out.
Mactronix

magic_mahi_mahi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Its an upgrade to my current computer, also the PS I know will work (thankfully) becuase I used to have it with this comp but I had to return it, not becuase it didnt work though. (I used more money than I thought I had :( ) Thanks man :)

magic_mahi_mahi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
At the moment I'm just going off onboard graphics which suck. I just want to play something without so much lag. This will be my first video card. I was always a console gamer and never had to work with a comp so I never needed one.

honestjohn_

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Hello all (new member to the forum) I have a question, but first off let me say that i don't know a lot about computers. I can build one, but actually knowing what is going on in what I build is a different story. So here's my problem: I need a new video card to play games like WOW, KOTOR, City of Heroes, Sims 2, Guild Wars etc. and maybe even Oblivion (though I don't expect perfection). And the card I was hoping to get was this one:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102071

and I have this mobo:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00069442&lc=en

Do you all think they will be compatible? I know they are both AGP 4x/8x but I wanna be sure.

P.S. Do you think I could run tough games like Oblivion on my system?

1 gig of RAM
300 gig drive
X1950 Pro (I hope)
AMD Athlon XP 2100 Mhz 3000+
Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

Thanks a lot for listening to my rant :p.

Garrett

Damn good choice for a card. I had one for 3 months or so before I started suffering from the grass is greener mentality. That's Best bang for your buck card there is in AGP in my opinion.

The power supply you chose scares me though. It's hard to find a quality power supply for under $90 that will give the X1950 Pro the juice it needs on the +12v rail. The Rosewill may work, or it may not. Either way I guess NewEgg has an excellent return policy should you need a different one.

You may also want to consider bumping up your system DDR to 2 GB. The stuff is pretty cheap right now.

I'd recommend a bump to 2 Gb of RAM too. The PSU will be taxed - ensure it has 2 +12V rails available for its sole use (meaning that there must be at least 3 external rails: one for HD+DVD, the other two for the card).

Other than that, I wonder if the CPU won't be a bit of a bottleneck - I'd recommend at least 2.5 GHz for a K7 cpu (be ready to O/C) or a dual core (X2 3800+).

Considering the price difference between an AGP and PCIe X1900, you may get a new mobo+CPU (get it off eBay with s939, X2 3800+, so as to re-use your DDR) with a PCIe version for cheaper than the AGP card by its lonesome.