Error Message driving me mad

Can't play videos using WMP or Quicktime or view photos, the screen goes
black then appears again. The other day I saw little blue squares dotted
around on the screen.

In the last couple of hours it has switched itself off and on twice, after
the first time when I rebooted it took me into the bios and displayed this
message, it's not the first time this has happened. It was set at 333MHz

Caution, According to CPU external frequency setting, system memory can only
operate at frequency higher than or equal to 333MHz, please make sure the
DRAM maximum frequency is not less than 333 MHz

I've no knowledge on these things what so ever, what can I do to make my PC
better again ?

Lau
3 answers Last reply
More about error message driving

    Lau wrote:

    > Can't play videos using WMP or Quicktime or view photos, the screen
    > goes black then appears again. The other day I saw little blue squares
    > dotted around on the screen.
    >
    > In the last couple of hours it has switched itself off and on twice,
    > after the first time when I rebooted it took me into the bios and
    > displayed this message, it's not the first time this has happened. It
    > was set at 333MHz
    >
    > Caution, According to CPU external frequency setting, system memory
    > can only operate at frequency higher than or equal to 333MHz, please
    > make sure the DRAM maximum frequency is not less than 333 MHz
    >
    > I've no knowledge on these things what so ever, what can I do to make
    > my PC better again ?
    >
    > Lau

    I don't think you want to be messing around in the BIOS at all. From
    your description, it does sound like you are having hardware problems.
    It could be general overheating and/or the video card could be dying.
    Here are general hardware troubleshooting steps:

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    laptop, although of course the power
    supply can be faulty.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Whether he wants to, or should be, messing around in the bios may not be
    under his control. Many M/B's, all of my Asus boards included, will take you
    there against your will under certain failure conditions. If this happens,
    and the person does NOT know what they are supposed to do, it is best to set
    the bios to the default settings - save - and exit!

    With Asus M/B's, you will likely NOT be operating at the maximum FSB speed
    your CPU and RAM are capable of, if you do this. The FSB speed will default
    to the lower, and slower, setting! This will likely slow down the CPU
    (horribly slow) as well as the RAM operation.

    It is best to allow someone with bios knowledge (not a "friend" - please, or
    Best Buy) find out the system specs and then reset the bios accordingly (FSB
    speed, cache settings, boot settings, legacy settings etc.). A competent
    technician can do this!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    Richard Urban wrote:

    > Whether he wants to, or should be, messing around in the bios may not
    > be under his control. Many M/B's, all of my Asus boards included, will
    > take you there against your will under certain failure conditions. If
    > this happens, and the person does NOT know what they are supposed to
    > do, it is best to set the bios to the default settings - save - and
    > exit!
    >
    > With Asus M/B's, you will likely NOT be operating at the maximum FSB
    > speed your CPU and RAM are capable of, if you do this. The FSB speed
    > will default to the lower, and slower, setting! This will likely slow
    > down the CPU (horribly slow) as well as the RAM operation.
    >
    > It is best to allow someone with bios knowledge (not a "friend" -
    > please, or Best Buy) find out the system specs and then reset the bios
    > accordingly (FSB speed, cache settings, boot settings, legacy settings
    > etc.). A competent technician can do this!

    Thanks for the info about Asus boards, Richard. I completely agree with
    your conclusion that the OP should take the machine to a shop.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com