Check my build and add a case + PSU

Jurosem

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Hi, I was back here at the start of the year asking alotta questions, and you guys helped alot. And just when I was ready to build my first computer... I got fired, and had to hold off. Now I'm getting close to buying again, and I got a few more final (hopefully) questions.
Based on my research and advice I've received, this is what I'm thinking:

AMD X2 3800+
MSI K9N SLI Platinum
Western Digital Caviar 160GB SE WD1600AAJS
ASUS EAX1950PRO/HTDP

People have been suggesting the X1950Pro, but I'm wondering about this particular card. Look good? I can post more details if necessary.

Adata Vitesta 2 X 1 Gb
Cellshock V2 2 X 1Gb
Corsaire XMS2 2 X 1Gb

Actually, the list goes on and on for RAM now, those are just a few samples. I can now get decent RAM for around the same price as those listed at CL4, or one pair that is even CL3. Is it best to go for something CL 4 as opposed to CL5, or with this system is it more important to get a decent brand and something reliable? That being said, I think even some of the better brands now have CL4 DDR2 SDRAM for a good price.

So, what do people think of the combination? Is there any one component that is holding the others back too much, or out of sink with the others? I was thinking maybe that motherboard was a bit too fancy, I think there's a cheaper one called MSI K9N Ultra 2F, that would maybe suit me just as well? Probably won't be utilising SLI anytime soon.

I also need a case and power supply. WHat's the minimum wattage I would aim for with this system? I am on a limited budget, and I'd rather spend money on things that will make the 'puter more powerful than on things like power and case, but of course I don't want power to be a problem either.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=383537 Antec
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=312779 Arctic Cooling

These are two cases that are in my price range, chose them for no particular reason just so I could get comments on what's good about them and what's bad. Both 500W. People think that's enough for the system I'm planning? The second one is a little cheaper. The links are in Danish unfortunately, but I think it's clear enough. Strømforsyninger means powersource, and blæsere means fans ;)

I want the computer for gaming. I'm not that into FPSs, but on the other hand I want to play as much as I can, so as much gaming power for my buck is my goal (I've been looking at demo vids for BioShock recently and it's giving me wet dreams)

So, let me hear your thoughts and advice, and thanks in advance.

PS. I'm in Denmark, so have limited availability. I can get most stuff, so go ahead and make suggestions if you think there's some part that would suit me better than what I've listed, but don't bother with links to NewEgg or anything ;)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I have a couple of Sonata II and they're great, quiet, easy to work with, and Antec makes good PSUs. That 500w should work. If you're not partitioning the drive, you might want to get a small hdd, 60GB to 80GB, for the OS and programs and a larger one for storage. If you're partitioning, I'd get a larger hdd, at 250GB and preferrable 320GB given how inexpensive they are