Sign in with
Your question

Windows backup wont work

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 16, 2010 1:30:49 PM

Hi. I am trying to do a backup for the first time on my Sony Vaio, using the Windows Backup utility. The program starts and I get to the part where it tells me to insert a disc. I have tried several different discs, ones was a dvd disc (blank of course) and a couple of cd-r's. When I tell it "ok" that a disc is inserted, nothing happens, it just stays on the message. But down on my taskbar on the right I get a message that "file backup needs your attention". When I click on that, it only takes me back to the place where it says to insert a disc.

I did try allowing windows to format the discs after they wouldn't work, and that didn't help either. Any suggestions are welcome - TIA.
July 16, 2010 9:12:16 PM

Thanks for the good article Jonmor68. It was worth reading. Unfortunately I still don't know what the problem is. I was able to finally back up my system using an exterior hard drive, but I didn't really want my backup on that drive, I wanted it on disks. I couldn't get them to work no matter what I tried. If anyone has any ideas, I'd still rather put the backup on disk - thanks!
m
l
July 17, 2010 12:27:03 AM

I rebooted into Vista to see what the problem is, but it wouldn't do anything until I done a full drive backup first. I din't want to use up a stack of disks I don't need or want, trying or trying to cancel after startup.
If you don't mind spending a few dollars, I would suggest getting Acronis True Image 2010 it's on special at the moment for a limited time at $29.99.
It will do everything you want, from a complete image of the drive to individual files and folders.
Go to Acronis for more information.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
m
l
!