Printing trough wifi in LAN

G

Hello everyone,

Probably this subject is already discribed, but i can't find it anywhere.

Here is my problem:

We've got 4 computers in our LAN

2 notebooks ( WIFI ) ( WINDOWS VISTA )
1 desktop ( CABLE ) ( WINXPPro )
1 desktop ( CABLE ) ( WINXPPro ) -> with printer attached that support WiFi ( HP Photosmart D7160)

the problem is, 1 of the notebooks can't find other computers on the network, but is connected, so he can't print trough wifi.

All the other computers find eachother in the network.

So the other laptop with vista ( the 2 laptops are the same type, model) can print trough wifi just normally.

I just can't understand why the other laptop can't print, he has to find the desktop with the printer in order to print i guess.

I've allready turned off the anti-virus and firewall, but no effect. I even connected the laptop to the internet with a cable, but that doesn't help either.

Any suggestions?

Thx in advance,

Mezzie

SizroSpunkmire

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
When you say 'cant find' are you referring to the fact the the computers don't show up when you go into My Network Places?

If so, try to ping the said computer instead. If you get a reply you are one of millions who have discovered the wonderful annoyances with the GUI portion of Windows networking.

does the laptop connect to the network okay?

Start --> Run
type in 'cmd' then 'ipconfig /all'

On the Vista system that can't 'see' what are its:

IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:

EricLegge

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Have you installed the printer's driver on the laptop that won't connect.

I read that it has to be installed in order for file and printer sharing to work.

I always do that myself, so I'm not sure if it will will work without installing the driver.

I use the driver that allows networking the printer.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/

Manpreet kaur

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Hi,

I too am facing a similar issue. Hope you guys can help.

I have HP office jet at my home that I try to connect through my Dell wifi enabled laptop. The problem is that at some day it works perfectly fine however on some other day it does not do much. since i am not a technically savvy, i hope u folks can help point out what is that i should look for.

cheers
Manpreet Kaur
Financial Researcher
News Desk
http://www.economynews.in/