Xp reboot loop

requalsthree

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have a problem PC boots normally until it gets to the desktop then it restarts. This happens every time. PC worked fine before this problem, but 2 days ago "Opera.exe" file went missing, so I had to reinstall Opera. Also, for the past few months, when shutting down my PC while there is some program still running, it shows a "Memory referenced..." error for Winamp or Adobe (or some similar error, I can't check it right now because i can only get pc to boot in safe mode without restarting). I tried scanning the hard drive with Avira's and Malwarebyte's programs, there was some malware and it was removed, but the problem persists. Any tips?

Solution
If you can get into safemode, try looking into the event logs to see how far the system got in the system startup. The event viewer can be accessed by running "eventvwr" from Start - Run. See if there are any errors messages in the application log and system log to help you find out where it is hanging up from.

It could also be that the malware programs that you removed had corrupted your system files, or the scanning programs have unknowingly removed some system files as well. You could try a system restore or a system repair to see if you can get your system back up and running in normal mode.

MS Article on how to perform a system restore - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

MS Article on how to perform an in-place upgrade...

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If you can get into safemode, try looking into the event logs to see how far the system got in the system startup. The event viewer can be accessed by running "eventvwr" from Start - Run. See if there are any errors messages in the application log and system log to help you find out where it is hanging up from.

It could also be that the malware programs that you removed had corrupted your system files, or the scanning programs have unknowingly removed some system files as well. You could try a system restore or a system repair to see if you can get your system back up and running in normal mode.

MS Article on how to perform a system restore - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

MS Article on how to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstall) -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Hope that helps

Solution

requalsthree

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks, I tried using the event viewer and there are logs of following messages which happened this evening:

System:

1) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AsIO
asuskbnt
avgio
avipbb
EIO
Fips
intelppm
ssmdrv

2) The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Application:

1) The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

2) Windows saved user P5LD2-X\User registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Any idea what that means?

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi there,

Those looks like regular messages from your boot into safe-mode. Try to look a bit further back and see if you can see other errors, or perhaps errors related to the time when your other applications started crashing.

You can also try to boot into normal mode and then safe-mode and check the logs after.

One other thing you could try is to see if "Last known good configuration" will work as well.

requalsthree

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Both "Last known good configuration" and "System restore" did not work, so I tried to boot into normal mode and then safe-mode, and then checked the logs. It shows this among other information:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x3e951fe8, 0xaa0118f4, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121409-01.dmp.

I think that happened during the normal boot.

Also, this happened, but I think it was in safe-mode:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\comxp_sp2\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Try the option "disable automatic restart" and take note of the entire bluescreen message. It might give more information regarding the stop error message. Sometimes it gives the offending DLL files.

If system restore doesn't work, then perhaps you might be left with the repair (in-place) upgrade option. Just make sure you re-update your OS and make sure you have your windows key.

Did you also scan your computers with an antivirus program along with Malwarebytes?

Alternatively, PM me and I'll give you my email to send me that dump file. I can look at it for you.