System startup feels slow.

I just built a computer (Core i5 2500K, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 570) and startup just feels slow. There's like 10 to 15 seconds before the login screen shows up where it's just the mouse pointer on a black background. After I log in it takes a little bit for everything to start up (Kaspersky, Steam, and the Intel RAID software all have to start). I mean, I try to launch Chrome as soon as I'm on the desktop and it doesn't start up right away. Should this happen?

I'm probably just being paranoid. I have to take this computer to college in about a week and I'm terrified that I'll find something wrong with it right before I leave. Has anyone experienced similar behavior? Am I overreacting?
5 answers Last reply
More about system startup feels slow
  1. And your HDD is which model? How much free space is there on the partition on which the OS is installed?
    The HDD plays a key role here, much bigger than the components you've listed
  2. I have two Samsung SpinPoint F3 1-TB drives in an Intel RAID 1 array.
  3. orange3 said:
    I have two Samsung SpinPoint F3 1-TB drives in an Intel RAID 1 array.

Well, i don't know about the welcome screen responding so slow, but the rest seems alright, antivirus software, drivers etc all take a while to start, and you can't expect to launch a program/app immidietly after you log in. (except when you have a fast SSD :)) Wait for 5 secs, then you're good to go.
  4. if you have a lot of files on desktop they have to load as well before you can start doing things

try installing smart defrag 2

and do a "full defrag and fully optimise"

that will speed it up

(then do a boot defrag that speed's it up)
  5. Have the same problem with my Core2duo E7200. I defraged my hard drive, uninstalled all unnecessary programs, disabled all startup programs and services.But all in vain. Mine problem is a little bit similar to you.But after entering password, welcome screen appears for 7-10 seconds, then a black screen appears for 10-15 sec, then taskbar apears, then desktop wallpaper, then icons, then gadgets.And during all this time, my pc remains unusable.But after 2-3 minutes, it become fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7