how much to pay for 8800GTS?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I'm wondering what the price/performance point for a 8800GTS is.

The 8800GTS boards are $300/320GB version and $410/640GB. At least, in my area, they are. If I was to order online, that's the prices currently.

I think the 640GB card's price is too high but I would like it for the versatility.

Then it would not matter what resolution I use (for the most part).

Is there any chance these cards will reduce in price again? I thin they are way too high and would even look at DX9 cards although I would rather just buy one as I don't usually upgrade my hardware much. I might buy a better case fan or something like that. I might upgrade the cpu but I would rather buy one video card that can be used for a long time.

I don't care much about which brand or stock speeds as they can be overclocked if so desired. BFG, eVGA (preferred but...), XFX or PNY, it doesn't matter to me as I go after best price and looking for 640MB.

When is the 8900 series coming out? Is the cards right now considered a decent price? I've read that the 640MB versions are thought to be at a decent price at $350 but that is American currency.

My use for the card is light gaming but mostly video converting/editing and HTPC work (including HD).

deathun0

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
I dont know much about the new 8900 or what ever, considering your going for video editing etc, i recomend the 640 as the bigger memory will always help when convering files/transfering them, it is more expensive but it will help later on.

Last rumors I've read:
8900 won't be released at all
9800 will be released around Christmas (or Thanksgiving)

Anyway, the 8800 GTS 320MB is excellent value, better than anything else on the market probably. If you've got a big monitor get the 640MB, otherwise you'll be fine with the 320MB version.

BFG and eVGA have great customer support and excellent warranties. That's not so true about PNY, as far as I know. Don't know about XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.

Get a Q6600 after the July 22 price cuts, that should help a lot with the video editing.

bliq

Distinguished
Last rumors I've read:
8900 won't be released at all
9800 will be released around Christmas (or Thanksgiving)

Anyway, the 8800 GTS 320MB is excellent value, better than anything else on the market probably. If you've got a big monitor get the 640MB, otherwise you'll be fine with the 320MB version.

BFG and eVGA have great customer support and excellent warranties. That's not so true about PNY, as far as I know. Don't know about XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.

Get a Q6600 after the July 22 price cuts, that should help a lot with the video editing.

I'd be surprised if they called it a 9800... ATI's lawyers would have something to say about that...

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
That´s nonesense. The lawyers can complain all they want. It´s a number, not a name. Otherwise Nvidia would´ve sued intel blind for using their 6800 "brand".

They´ll probably name it differently because of brand recongnition. Nvidia doesn´t want it´s cards associated with ATI in any way.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
That´s nonesense. The lawyers can complain all they want. It´s a number, not a name. Otherwise Nvidia would´ve sued intel blind for using their 6800 "brand".

They´ll probably name it differently because of brand recongnition. Nvidia doesn´t want it´s cards associated with ATI in any way.

Why not? Many of ATi's cards were better then nVIDIA's... 9800 Included.

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro > 5800/5900 any day in my book.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Last I heard there will be no 8900 - the next major nVidia high end release will be the G90 at the end of the year.

The 640MB costs no less than �230 in the UK => $460. I just found this one on newegg for $359 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071
Unfortunately, I can't order from newegg. They still won't ship to Canada and probably won't unless Canada reforms their postal system.

I only go to newegg to read the reviews and what people say about the hardware they bought.

Well, Canada has more important things to reform first :p

Try these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...h.asp?keywords=8800+GTS&image1.x=0&image1.y=0
http://www.directcanada.com/search/?kw=8800GTS
http://www.ncix.com/search/?q=8800+GTS&minprice=Min.+Price&maxprice=Max.+Price

Here are some results for the 8800 GTS 640MB (all in Canadian dollars, about 94 cents US last time i checked):

www.ncix.com $510, $440
www.directcanada.com - $443, $456, $406
http://www.tigerdirect.com/ - $410 (eVGA), $370 (XFX)

These are all shipping so add shipping charges.

Some local prices in Ottawa, no shipping charges:
$540, $470 (shopRBC)
$497, $470 (Orleans Computers)
$447,$457,$624 :p :p (Network Supply)

Shop around...

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
TigerDirect has some decent prices but they have super high shipping costs. DirectCanada has free shipping if you choose ground shipping.

If you're in Ontario, you can get some good deals from B.C. vendors (tax reasons). I don't want to pay more than 4. I guess if I thought I was going to get a 8800GTS, I should have got one when they had the discounts but 4 and a half is too high for my blood. :wink:

You still need to factor in taxes.

cbhm

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
never buy from tigerdirect. it is hit or miss, and many times miss, resulting in lots of downtime and hair-yanking-ly frustrating phonecalls

Damn :evil: (Am I allowed to say damn on the forum ?).

It's a shame, it had the best price there and some free headset included too.

What about NCIX and DirectCanada, are those OK? I heard good things about NCIX but very little about DirectCanada. Any others you like?

cbhm

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
sorry, i dont know much about ncix or direct canada, but youre best chances are searching for customer reviews on google, and try and find negative feedback and check for any similarities among the complaints.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I think Direct Canada is good. They probably have the best price for graphics cards if you compare among all the product lines and their speeds. As for NCIX, they have decent prices on occasion but you have to be quick on sales because they don't last long. Another interesting note is how the Canadian shopping pages rarely update prices for NCIX or at least shopbot.ca doesn't (for whatever reason). It gets annoying when you think NCIX has a good price from the shopbot site and when you click the link, the actual price is around $100 more. I use shopbot and pricecanada.com to compare prices among various hardware or whatever it is you're looking for.

I bought a Hard Drive from Razor Computers and they were quite fast with shipping. The price even went lower since I bought it.