advice for noob on card for graphics

Robert_01

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Hi

i am a noob when it comes to computers and i dont know much about them, i want to build a PC so i could play some games my friends helped me with most of the parts now i need a card for graphics, they recomended Nvidia 8800GTX something, will this be enough to play games, to be honest i will most likely play one game (2d fighting game called melty blood) will one of these card be enough they said i could put in 2 of them..

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Some friends...

Best thing to do is to tell us:

- your budget
- a more comprehensive list of other games you play (if any)
- the rest of your system specs
- the resolution you game at
- whether you do anything else with your PC (i.e. HTPC use etc)

From the very sketchy info you've given so far, an 8800GTX is likely to be extreme overkill.

Robert_01

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Ram 2 of OCZ2N1066SR2GK
Hard disk 150 gigabyte Western digital Raptor
Processor Core 2 Extreme
mother board GiGa byte GA-P35-DQ6
did i miss something?

well the budget doesnt mater very much, i just dont want to play games good,i dont want to look for parts or have my friends look for me because mine is not good
by resolution u mean screen thing?? i am not very sure...
i might watch video and listen to music on the computer but mostly play games

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
If you're going to get an 8800 GTX for 2D games it would be like shooting a nuke to kill a little bunny :D . It's basically at the top of the list as far as videocards go ( besides an overpriced ultra). You're going to want a sturdy powersupply for it aswell, which is one part you haven't listed.
As for resolution, what monitor do you have? LCD, CRT, 19", 20",22"? By giving us these specs we should be able to determine what res you're likely to be on.
Are you going to overclock ? If so get a decent cooler, if not, you could settle for regular pc6400 ram unless the price is ok for what you chose.
Almost forgot... if you're getting the GTX make sure you buy a case that can handle it. Here's a list for those:

http://forum.sallandautomatisering.nl/viewtopic.php?t=4192&sid=2ab1e1ffebb6a31ba3fa95427cfd5f5e

There are more of those out there so if you're thinking of a case that's not on the list just google or post back.

GL.

Robert_01

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
to be honest i wanted to buy a dell , but my friend works in a computer store and he insisted that what he can build is better, and the PC would be worthless and i wont be able to play on it unless i get those i listed up, i never knew a PC should cost this much but o well, i might get a Sony bravia 42" full HD as screen and for power supply thing, u mean the box with a fan in it? i think it was 700+

This may sound a bit blunt but from what im seeing money dosent really seem to be an issue for you so i would go to Alienware as they make dedicated gaming machines and just get whatever is the most expensive.
Mactronix

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
This may sound a bit blunt but from what im seeing money dosent really seem to be an issue for you so i would go to Alienware as they make dedicated gaming machines and just get whatever is the most expensive.
Mactronix

Word.

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
That sounds like a nice rig.The 8800 GTX is top of the line except for the Ultra which is just an overclocked GTX and too expensive.Don't worry about overclocking or anything though, that machine will be a beast for gaming.The 8800GTS 640 is also a nice card and a little cheaper than the GTX.I would suggest at least a 22" monitor from samsung or viewsonic as TV's aren't the best for PC gaming. Don't go with Alienware as another poster said.They are more money for the same parts. Do a little research in the forums, on other tech sites,read some reviews,etc.You will learn and keep from getting stuck with things you don't need ,want,or can afford.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
you do realise that even a $400 pc can play 2D games right?

The components you mentioned would be the sort of stuff you would by if you wanted to play the new 3d games at a fairly high screen resolution.

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Maybe you should wait for the next Intel/AMD generation CPU due out in Q3 of '08. Also Nvidia is working on the new 9000 uberUltra to match a secret ATI 25 nm based GPU that will make the 8900 look like a FX5200. Both CPU and GPU will be based on nanocarbon material rather than silicon. You will be able to play any game at MAX on any size monitor plus it will do your homework or reports for you while you are out doing something else. I am surprised that your friend didn't tell you about this. He is probably holding back so his rig will have bragging rights! Trust me!

Something is fishy here. Your friend is advising you to buy overpriced parts such as Core 2 Extreme, 8800 GTX, DQ6, Raptor, DDR2-1066, and he probably makes a comission if he works at the store where you buy them. You could play your 2D games on a $500 machine and he makes you get a $4000 machine. Are you sure he's a friend and not just taking advantage of you?

Furious5k

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
You should revise your guide to who is considered a friend, and by revise I mean tear it and put it alight. :lol:

I would tell him to choke on his greed and show him a healthy dose of rude gestures.

If you want to play a 2D game, you won't need to spend more then $500 on a computer, and that's most likely including a monitor.

Robert_01

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
from what i hear here it is either the parts arent good enough or that there are better, i am suprised by how much computers cost these day, 800$ for a case it is just a metal box, this all isnt very promissing and isnt motivating...

however i asked my friend about alienware and he said that it would be a good shot, he would get one for himself too. he also said it's better to get an alienware computer that you build on your own than building a normal one. he would get me one cheaper than other stores he said

Furious5k

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Where exactly does your friend work? I don't see how he can get you a cheaper computer from Alienware.

Where the heck did he find a case for $800? Top of the range cases (and you don't really need one of those) cost $300, maybe $400.

It sounds like a load of ... to me and it would seem he wants to buy the computer for you so he can tell you a higher-then-actual price and cash in on the difference.

Or maybe he found a deal like "buy one get the second one 50% off". I'm buying some towels tonight with a coupon like that :lol:

Either way, be very careful.

A really nice case like Lian-Li V2000 costs under US$ 400. I can't even imagine a $800 case, unless it includes some fancy liquid cooling system (which you totally don't need, by the way).

Alienware is good for people who know little about computers and have plenty of money and want to play the latest and most demanding games like Crysis or Flight Simulator. If that's you then do consider them, and also get a quote from Dell.

Ok so this is a wind up right? you know jack S*** about computers but dont have to ask if a sony brava will even connect to one?
Its either that my friend or you are the most gullable person out.
Lets assume for a min that you are for real take a list of what your friend says you need and what they cost,go to Ebuyer or some other online shop(type "computer shops" in to your browser)and compare the prices.
Go to dell you can find them on line or phone them up ask them what it would cost.
compare what results you get and go with the cheapest.
Or is it a case of your friend will help you build it if you get the parts from him.
If so please remember that the price dell quote includes building one and sending it to you and a warranty.

AdamJ

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
do me a huge favor and tell your friend to jump off a cliff and land head first on some boulders or some shit.

Thanks

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/03/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/index.html
Check this link and also go check Newegg.com to see what prices are.
1500$ will build you a really nice rig with monitor.Your friend either doesn't know better or wants to make a quick buck but there is price vs. performance to consider. Even though those are good parts he's suggesting you can get better bang for your buck if you check things out a little bit and not make any snap decisions.

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I agree if thats all he wants to do but if he has some money and wants to do more in the future he can start like most of us did and learn to build his own with better parts for less money that will handle anything.Other than that get a Dell.

Robert_01

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
ok i wont get the parts from the a** ho** i compared prices with newegg 200$+ atleast on each part
so now it is either i get my own part dell or alienware

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
If you read the forums and ask some questions things will become more clear.I refer people to check out Toms Hardware or PCStats.com.They both have some good resources for what's what.Hey everybody started out as a NOOB.