Sign in with
Your question

Access database / Wireless setup query

Last response: in Business Computing
July 10, 2011 1:28:43 AM

Hello all:

I have a networking/database question that I'm hoping I can get some advice on.
Because of limited budget and a paranoid boss, the MS Access database at work is running through a simple Linksys wireless E2000 N router rather than a more dedicated server setup.

A server PC is storing the Access database and 3-4 laptops are connecting to the split database linked tables via an internal wireless N adapters only.

Upon having several people accessing and updating records we've noticed a huge amount of instability frequent network interruptions.

I have several theories but would like anyone's take that may have some insight:

1) It could be the location of the router, which is on the far end of the building, though a weak signal it hasn't posed a problem thus far.

2) Interference: Several other routers, all on 2.4Ghz could be creating too much interference. (none of the laptops support 5Ghz)

3) Number of individuals accessing the database at one time. This is where I'm unclear. Could having 3-4 people working on the database at once pose any potential problems? I'd ordinarily think not, but this is such a rickety setup that I am unclear.

Any ideas or recommended changes?

Thanks in advance!
July 14, 2011 4:21:34 AM

What is your "server"? It is common for smaller businesses to be using consumer hardware and the network within many consumer boards is simply not setup for network reliability but more for cost effective, "good" quality. If you NEED to stick with that server, look at a server network card with redundancy (2 network ports) and gigabit network. It is also quite possible the router is too far away but, wireless n has proven to be quite stable for many business environments. Also, this could also be a drivers issue on the server, where the OS isn't communicating with the NIC and subsequent devices.
July 14, 2011 2:21:10 PM

The server is simply a Core i5 desktop in a staff member's office, meant to keep the data in one spot. It's a Dell I believe. I can find out what the specs are. I am confident it most likely has a gigabit ethernet NIC. Oddly enough, no one else was using the network yesterday and I was able to work w/o disconnects from far at the other end of the building. That makes me think location isn't the problem. I will take a look at the host NIC/drivers next time and see what I can find.
!