DSL Wireless nightmare!!!

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Hello all,
I just ordered SBC DSL and the line was activiated today. They sent me a modem, 2 cables and a DSL filter. So I hookup the modem according to their instructions, done. Because I have wireless network, I hookup the modem to my wireless router(Netgear 614). I have solid lights for "DSL" and "Ethernet" which means those 2 are working properly, but I dont have internet connection, dont know why. I was on the phone with SBC tech for over 1/2 hour with no progress made. Do I need to get a DSL modem that supports wireless? Does it matter how the modem delivers the signal?

Thanks in advance.

A very upset SBC customer.

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Here's an update. I spoke to a different sbc tech last night. He had me hookup via a lan cable and he was able to get me on to the internet no problem. But when I made the switch to wireless, I dont get internet connect even though I have "Ethernet", "DSL", and "Internet" lights on the modem. I have to use wireless because my modem is set in the living room and my room is down the hall. I only have one active phone jack and that's in the kitchen. My wireless router is a Netgear WGR614. Do I need to reset the router? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I would power cycle both the modem and router.

Are you getting an IP address on the wireless device from the routers DHCP server?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Yes I'm setup to obtain IP address via DHCP. I thought I power down both modem and router, I'll double check that. When I hook the router back to the cable modem, it works fine. It's the DSL side that I'm experiencing problem. I still keep my cable service in case things like this happen so that I have internet access. Maybe I need to reset the router?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What are the exact symptoms on the wireless side? You can ping the router, but you can't surf the web?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Correct. The SBC tech ping the crap out of the modem last night. I haven't try pinging the router. It's strange that the router works with cable modem but not dsl. Maybe the router doesn't support DSL?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you have to take a step back here, because you're going in multiple directions at once.

First order of business:

Does the wireless device obtain an IP address from the router (which I'm assuming is your DHCP server) and if so, can it ping the router.

If we can get those 2 questions answered, then we'll worry about your WAN connectivity.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
For cable modem..yes the wireles device obtains IP address from the router and can ping.

("Does the wireless device obtain an IP address from the router (which I'm assuming is your DHCP server) and if so, can it ping the router").

I'm assuming that the wireless device obtains IP from the router. I'm not using static IP address. I haven't try pinging the router yet. DSL works when I connect using LAN cable but not wireless.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Reset your router. We shouldn't speak about your cable modem ever again. Focus on the DSL.

Setup your router according to the instructions. Get the IP dynamically through DHCP. Pick a SSID that is unique. Don't bother with WEP yet. Broadcast out the signal and get all the computers to show up. If you'd like, find their MAC addresses and assign them to the router as the only ones able to access the network.

Now add the modem. Data cable from the wall to the modem's internet port. Ethernet cable from the router to the PC's NIC.

You have setup an account I assume at this point. Make sure you're logged in. If you used the CD you probably log in automatically.

Getting internet on your rig at least at this point? We have to assume that the wireless router is ok since you've got it working with cable.

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Wiggidy Wack!!!!</A></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
BTW, I just set up a wireless network using SBC last night. Their modem worked fine and as a matter of fact my activation date isn't until next tuesday and it still worked.

Try going through the automatic setup on the cd if you have to. I just wouldn't install all the extra software. Uncheck all the boxes.

<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Wiggidy Wack!!!!</A></b>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Finally, someone who is using DSL with wireless. Yes I have my account setup already. I can access the internet via LAN cable, from DSL modem to my PC. Please bare with me because I'm stupid when it comes to networking. I'm using Windows XP. Does every PC use the same SSID? How do I go about finding their MAC addresses? I assume that I'd type 192.168.0.1 to access netgear's setup site and enter the MAC and SSID there, correct? Also, you mention that (Ethernet cable from the router to the PC's NIC)..how? All 3 of my PCs have wireless card and all are away from the router. Router in living room along with the DSL modem, one PC is in my room, the 2nd one is in the garage and the 3rd one is in my sister's room.

Please keep in mind that I'm stupid :D .
Thank you for your help.

Jlanka, thank you also.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
ummmm I'm using wireless with DSL, also, just didn't mention it.

If you can ping the router from the wireless device, your wireless config is fine.

Whats the exact error you're getting when you try to surf the web? is it a 404? Or something else?

Also, can you try ftp'ing to an ftp site? Like ftp.microsoft.com

type ftp ftp.microsoft.com at a DOS prompt. What happens then?

Also, is your DNS working? Type

ipconfig /all|more

from a DOS prompt, what does it say for the row "DNS server"

Does that port work? (FTP runs on IP port 21)

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
From the router, I can ping the ip address but not the url such as www.yahoo.com. When I open up IE, I get page not found. My DNS is setup to DHCP..192.168.0.1 I'm going to call Netgear when I get home later today. I think it's the setting in the router like hdlucke mention in the earlier post. Eventually I'll get this resolved via lots of helps.

Thank you for your time and expertise jlanka, hdlucke.

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Ok here's an update. I just got off the phone with Netgear's tech. He walked me through the "wireless configuration" page of the router and is able to get me online via wireless. I didn't disable the "Turn on Access Control" option and didn't have "Region" selected which is United States. The SSID is correct. I told you that I'm dumb when it comes to networking. But anyway..I really appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge on this forum jlanka and dhlucke. Have a nice weekend.

dhlucke

Polypheme
So you're up and running right??