Time-Warner 8300 HD question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
March 3, 2005 5:39:55 AM

Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual from
Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
there is no such info available.

I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce
perform for the Oscars....

Roger
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:55:53 AM

Roger wrote:
> Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual from
> Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
> simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
> the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
> is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
> can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
> there is no such info available.
>
> I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
> new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
> shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
> hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
> 8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
> your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
> got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce
> perform for the Oscars....
>
> Roger

Make sure the box is OFF be four you press Info and guide on the box Not
the remote.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:34:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:39:55 GMT, "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:

>Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual from
>Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
>simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
>the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
>is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
>can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
>there is no such info available.
>
>I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
>new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
>shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
>hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
>8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
>your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
>got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce
>perform for the Oscars....
>
>Roger

Related resources
March 3, 2005 3:50:45 PM

Yup I did make sure the receiver was OFF before I pressed Info and Guide
simultaneously. A message comes on the screen telling me to press the CBL
button which is stupid because you got to press CBL and then PWR on the
remote to turn it on!
Roger
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:21:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <h11e21lgt6iqk1755g8dgdhjskbefi5104@4ax.com>,
the_professor@atbi.com wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:39:55 GMT, "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual from
> >Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
> >simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
> >the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
> >is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
> >can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
> >there is no such info available.
> >
> >I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
> >new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
> >shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
> >hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
> >8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
> >your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
> >got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce
> >perform for the Oscars....
> >
> >Roger

And this is the machine Sean brags about? Makes one feel like an Alpha
tester doesn't it.
March 3, 2005 5:21:39 PM

Actually, though I have the Adelphia version rather than the TW, I
certainly don't feel like an Alpha or Beta tester. My 3 8300HDs have
worked great, have never had a single problem, and have been extremely
reliable. I'm not crazy about parts of the UI and there are some
features I wish were different.

My 921 (now returned to Dish) OTOH, was absolutely horrible.
Unreliable, buggy, locked up, etc. Timers didn't work, sound
drop-outs. It wasn't even ready for Alpha release. In the 2.5 months
that I've had the 3 SA8300HDs I've had no errors. I averaged lockups
on a consistent basis with the 921.

Who's the Alpha tester?

--
wmhjr, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
March 3, 2005 5:21:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:21:38 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <h11e21lgt6iqk1755g8dgdhjskbefi5104@4ax.com>,
> the_professor@atbi.com wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:39:55 GMT, "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual from
>> >Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
>> >simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
>> >the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
>> >is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
>> >can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
>> >there is no such info available.
>> >
>> >I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
>> >new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
>> >shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
>> >hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
>> >8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
>> >your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
>> >got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce
>> >perform for the Oscars....
>> >
>> >Roger
>> >

>And this is the machine Sean brags about? Makes one feel like an Alpha
>tester doesn't it.

Wrong Jackie. I brag about the Motorola 2 tuner model.

For the SA product I've been saying all along that they'd get it right
before too long. Sounds like the 8300 is a huge improvement over the
8000.

Which of course all you Tivo rumpswab geniuses said would never
happen. It was too expensive for them to replace the 1st generation
hardware.

Except you morons were wrong.

How is your alpha test of Tivotogo going?

Sean
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 8:21:24 PM

In Canada the SA8300HD has been out quite a while. I still have the 8000HD
but I will be upgrading shortly.

Lots of posts here on both boxes
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php...

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
> Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual
> from Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
> simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I
> think the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that
> setup mode is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A
> software you can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and
> such but on mine there is no such info available.
>
> I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a
> brand new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a
> small shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to
> cool the hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have
> a model 8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because
> tomorrow your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD,
> and never got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to
> see Beyonce perform for the Oscars....
>
> Roger

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:08:26 AM

There are two different sets of software that currently run on the
8300 (and 8000) DVRs: Passport and SARA. Time Warner uses both of
these software packages (!) depending on where you are located
geographically. The Scientific Atlanta manuals refer only to the SARA
software.

It sounds like you have a Passport box, since pressing the Info-Guide
buttons doesn't get you to setup mode. Passport doesn't really have a
setup mode like SARA, buy you can get to most of the settings by
pressing the Settings key followed by the A key.

Drive space is a bit tricky under Passport. You can go to the
diagnostics screens by simultaneously pressing the select key and the
exit key (on the box, not the remote). After a couple of seconds a
tone will sound and the display panel will display diags. Now release
the two keys and press the exit key, and you will go to the diagnostic
channel. Scroll down to DVR AVFS and you will see Used space and Free
Space.

-barry

p.s. I had two 8000 units for almost a year with absolutely no
problems, but I do like the 8300HD better.

-b

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:

>Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual from
>Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
>simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
>the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
>is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
>can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
>there is no such info available.
>
>I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
>new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
>shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
>hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
>8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
>your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
>got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce
>perform for the Oscars....
>
>Roger

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:21:06 AM

I guess the posting below sort of answers my question:

I just got the Explorer 8300 HD DVR from Time Warner Cable of NYC.
The box works great, but ...

I hate those damn gray sidebars when looking @ SD 4:3 on my 16:9 HD
[Toshiba] set. The 65-page manual I downloaded from SciAtl says that
pressing "settings" on the remote twice will take you to a menu page
where you can change the color of the sidebars to black.

Well-- it doesn't work. A call to SciAtl informs me that this
function is determined by the service provider, and a subsequent call to
Time Warner would seem to indicate that they, in fact, do not allow you
to access the menu.

What gives? It's rather annoying.

Anyone have any thoughts or other experiences with this box?

Thanks,

Josiah

In article <s2gf21do766enkh18kcqr22q0rhgn7mmqq@4ax.com>,
Barry F Margolius <bfm@pobox.com> wrote:

> There are two different sets of software that currently run on the
> 8300 (and 8000) DVRs: Passport and SARA. Time Warner uses both of
> these software packages (!) depending on where you are located
> geographically. The Scientific Atlanta manuals refer only to the SARA
> software.
>
> It sounds like you have a Passport box, since pressing the Info-Guide
> buttons doesn't get you to setup mode. Passport doesn't really have a
> setup mode like SARA, buy you can get to most of the settings by
> pressing the Settings key followed by the A key.
>
> Drive space is a bit tricky under Passport. You can go to the
> diagnostics screens by simultaneously pressing the select key and the
> exit key (on the box, not the remote). After a couple of seconds a
> tone will sound and the display panel will display diags. Now release
> the two keys and press the exit key, and you will go to the diagnostic
> channel. Scroll down to DVR AVFS and you will see Used space and Free
> Space.
>
> -barry
>
> p.s. I had two 8000 units for almost a year with absolutely no
> problems, but I do like the 8300HD better.
>
> -b
>
> "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual from
> >Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
> >simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
> >the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
> >is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
> >can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
> >there is no such info available.
> >
> >I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
> >new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
> >shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
> >hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
> >8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
> >your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
> >got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce
> >perform for the Oscars....
> >
> >Roger

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:37:26 PM

Not exactly. Time Warner in your specific geographical area
determines which firmware (Passport or SARA) is installed into the
8300 - actually this decision is based upon which head-end equipment
TW is using in your area. This decision determines which features
your box has or doesn't have. For example, the "press settings twice"
that you mention works fine at Time Warner in upstate New York (SARA),
but does not work in NYC (Passport).

So, it's not true that they "do not allow you to access the menu".
It's more like the firmware that runs on the box (Passport) doesn't
support that option.

BTW, I too am a Passport user, and I think that Passport is a
significantly better implementation, although SARA is improving and
the two may soon be on a par.

-barry

Josiah Gluck <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine. I think
>> >the local T-W has software installed by a third party, and that setup mode
>> >is not activated. The other thing missing is that with the S-A software you
>> >can press "Settings" twice to get hard drive space info and such but on mine
>> >there is no such info available.
>> >
>> >I had the 8000 HD earlier. Its hard drive crashed in 2 days so I got a brand
>> >new one. That hard drive crashed in 3 weeks. Luckily they had a small
>> >shipment of the new 8300 HDs, and a tech told me it has a fan to cool the
>> >hard drive to prevent crashes which the 8000 did not. If you have a model
>> >8000 HD, don't bother to save nice shows..see them fast because tomorrow
>> >your hard drive is going to die! I had the Oscars recorded in HD, and never
>> >got to see it because the hard drive crashed. So I never got to see Beyonce

March 5, 2005 5:43:18 PM

Thanks, Barry, for the valuable info. Yes, my 8300 uses Passport. I'll try
the diagnostics using the method you describe.
Roger
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:39:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:39:55 GMT, "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual
>>from
>>Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
>>simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine.
=====
With my 8300HD, via NYC's TWC, you get into setup using the
settings/more-settings option on the remote. Procedures vary with locales
and 8300Hd operating systems. Haven't waded through all the posts so someone
may have pointed this option out earlier.
John
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:05:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 3/10/05 10:39 AM, in article hv0Yd.26062$534.22894@twister.nyc.rr.com,
"John Blake" <jblake@bamspam.com> wrote:

>> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:39:55 GMT, "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual
>>> from
>>> Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
>>> simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine.
> =====
> With my 8300HD, via NYC's TWC, you get into setup using the
> settings/more-settings option on the remote. Procedures vary with locales
> and 8300Hd operating systems. Haven't waded through all the posts so someone
> may have pointed this option out earlier.
> John

I know that for some of them, the power button must be OFF before you hit
the Info & Guide buttons.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:29:38 AM

Steve D Wrote:

> >[/color]
> I know that for some of them, the power button must be OFF before you
> hit
> the Info & Guide buttons.

that exactly what is say on thier website www.sciatl.com cable box must
be of then hit info and guide

--
hbk409, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

The info/guide function along with others are *not* implemented on
TW-NYC's 8300HD boxes.

I called both TW and Sci-Atl and they confirmed that it is not part of
the software offered to TW-NYC customers. A total drag if you ask me,
as I would like to be able to change the "pillar boxing" to black
instead of gray.

Here's another odd problem that just popped up:

My Toshiba 30HF83 [love it...] has DVI in, but not HDMI. The 8300HD has
HDMI out, but not DVI. So-- I got a DVI to HDMI adapter (it goes in the
8300HD as I already had an expensive DVI cable) and lo and behold it
works.

Sort of.

It turns out that the 8300HD likes the TV to be on first, otherwise it
[the 8300HD] comes up with a screen that says I need to use component
inputs. Anyway-- all was fin up until a couple of days ago. Now, I
get no picture whatsoever on the DVI input, but the component works fine.

Anyone here have any thoughts? I've checked all possible connections
and menu settings. It's as though the HDMI output (or my DVI input)
just stopped working.

Thanks for listening,

JNG

In article <BE569133.D17%mdrsteve@charter.net>,
Steve D <mdrsteve@charter.net> wrote:

> On 3/10/05 10:39 AM, in article hv0Yd.26062$534.22894@twister.nyc.rr.com,

> > =====
> > With my 8300HD, via NYC's TWC, you get into setup using the
> > settings/more-settings option on the remote. Procedures vary with locales
> > and 8300Hd operating systems. Haven't waded through all the posts so someone
> > may have pointed this option out earlier.
> > John
> >

> I know that for some of them, the power button must be OFF before you hit
> the Info & Guide buttons.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:30:48 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:30:47 GMT, Josiah Gluck <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

>The info/guide function along with others are *not* implemented on
>TW-NYC's 8300HD boxes.
>
>I called both TW and Sci-Atl and they confirmed that it is not part of
>the software offered to TW-NYC customers. A total drag if you ask me,
>as I would like to be able to change the "pillar boxing" to black
>instead of gray.
>
>Here's another odd problem that just popped up:
>
>My Toshiba 30HF83 [love it...] has DVI in, but not HDMI. The 8300HD has
>HDMI out, but not DVI. So-- I got a DVI to HDMI adapter (it goes in the
>8300HD as I already had an expensive DVI cable) and lo and behold it
>works.
>
>Sort of.
>
>It turns out that the 8300HD likes the TV to be on first, otherwise it
>[the 8300HD] comes up with a screen that says I need to use component
>inputs. Anyway-- all was fin up until a couple of days ago. Now, I
>get no picture whatsoever on the DVI input, but the component works fine.
>
>Anyone here have any thoughts? I've checked all possible connections
>and menu settings. It's as though the HDMI output (or my DVI input)
>just stopped working.
>
>Thanks for listening,
>
>JNG

Check with Sean. He's the Sci Atlanta shill here.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:30:48 PM

Josiah Gluck (xxx@xxx.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> It turns out that the 8300HD likes the TV to be on first, otherwise it
> [the 8300HD] comes up with a screen that says I need to use component
> inputs. Anyway-- all was fin up until a couple of days ago. Now, I
> get no picture whatsoever on the DVI input, but the component works fine.
>
> Anyone here have any thoughts? I've checked all possible connections
> and menu settings. It's as though the HDMI output (or my DVI input)
> just stopped working.

That's almost certainly a copy-protection issue. HDMI has HDCP copy
protection, but DVI does not support copy protection (although it uses the
same wires as HDMI, just in a different connector).

There aren't any problems if the destination supports copy protection but
the source does not. If the source supports it and the destination does
not, though, you can see all the things you have seen, including seemingly
random malfunctions.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/Obedience...
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:49:40 PM

John Blake wrote:
>>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:39:55 GMT, "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi anyone out there have a T-W 8300 HD receiver? The instruction manual
>>>from
>>>Scientific Atlanta says that if you press the Info and Guide buttons
>>>simultaneously, you get to a setup mode. Does not do that with mine.
>
> =====
> With my 8300HD, via NYC's TWC, you get into setup using the
> settings/more-settings option on the remote. Procedures vary with locales
> and 8300Hd operating systems. Haven't waded through all the posts so someone
> may have pointed this option out earlier.
> John

be sure to press the info/guide buttons simultaneosly while the power
button on the set top box is OFF
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:21:51 AM

.... "My 921 (now returned to Dish)...." I'm in the same boat and am
thinking of dumping Dish. Did they buy back the 921 from you?

Thanks,
Curt....

!