Can't install windows...

So I'm trying to go from vista to windows server 2003. But whenever I do the auto run, the option to "Install Windows Server 2003" is shaded out... any hints??
8 answers Last reply
More about install windows
  1. Are you booting from the Windows Server 2003 CD?
  2. Quote:
    Are you booting from the Windows Server 2003 CD?

Yeah whenever I did that, it would try to read the disk and then boot vista like normal.
  3. Get a genuine Windows Server 2003 CD. Why would you want Windows Server 2003 anyway?
  4. Quote:
    Get a genuine Windows Server 2003 CD. Why would you want Windows Server 2003 anyway?

Haha, it IS a genuine disk, I bought it a few years ago.

I'm using it for a home server for all the computers in my house. With 9 computers in the house constantly having flash drives being thrown around to print stuff, I wanna make a legit server that everybody can use as a vps to store w.e they want.

I WOULD use 2008 but I don't have the money to fork up right now, and I've had a copy of 2003 since about 2006 haha. So yeahh..
  5. If it's genuine, you should be able to boot from it. That's the only way to install Windows Server 2003.
  6. Quote:
    If it's genuine, you should be able to boot from it. That's the only way to install Windows Server 2003.

Which is why I'm confused..

I got it working now, so it at least boots from the disk. But is says "read disk error press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

... :/
  7. Bad CD?
  8. Quote:
    Bad CD?

I don't know how that could possibly be the case.. It's from microsoft... I've even tried the backup disk I made of it and that doesnt work..
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Server 2003 Windows Vista