Old configuration, infuriating domain logon issues

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
We run a Windows 2000 Mixed-mode network with two Domain Controllers. The PDC also acts as a DHCP server. Existing PCs on the network are able to login and access all network resources fine for the most part. Some PCs when changing their computer name, changing user info, or reseting the password, will prevent the machine from even seeing the domain controller when attempting to authenticate from the domain. After being taken off of the domain, it will fail to see a domain controller in the domain when attempting to re-add it to the domain. It asks for the user name and password for authorization (which to me means it can see the domain), but will say that a domain controller was unable to be contacted when clicking OK.

Most of the time, I can completely disable (it will not work after simply repairing the connection) the existing network adapter and then re-enable it and this will temporarily fix it (until the next reboot) to allow for me to join it to the domain. When this works it will refuse to logon to the domain upon reboot, but I can log in locally, disable and re-enable the network adapter, and then log off the local account then back onto the domain.

This happens with dozens of computers regardless of operating system (happens equally with XP, 2000, and even Vista) network adapter, drivers, BIOS or OS patches that are installed. Also these computers usually even see the domain controller on the network places and can even open it (to look at the shares on it) while the message from the join workgroup or domain dialog box continues to say that it is unavailable.

I have lived with this problem for a while, but the disable-re-enable trick is not working with one of our Windows Vista laptops now. It lets me add it back to the domain (again only if after it tells me the domain is unavailable I disable the network card and re-enable it), but when I reboot it will not let me logon to the domain (There is no domain controller available to log you on at this time). HELP!

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
One thing that you might want to try as it has worked for me in the past:
1. Remove the machine from the domain
2. Go into the Computer name section and click change (XP)
3. In the "computer Name Changes" section click "more"
4. change the Primary DNS suffix to the proper domain
5. Hit ok
6. Hit OK
7. Reboot and try to readd to the proper domain.

Best of luck.

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Something else you might try...

In Active Directory, navigate to the computer account that's having issues, right click on it, and choose "reset account"

fluorescein

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I'm having a similar problem on my Vista machine. I've been running Vista for about 8 months with minimal trouble. This morning, I saw my computer had rebooted because of an update and I proceeded to login. I was greeted with the following message: "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

"Specified domain" made it sound like a network problem, so I unplugged the ethernet cable and rebooted, but I still get the same error when I try to login.

I get the same error when I try to boot up under "Safe Mode". I am able to get to the Windows Repair mode. Automatic repair detects no errors. I have successfully system restored to prior to the windows update, as well as to a "happy state" 5 days ago, but I get the same login problem still, so I don't think it was the update that screwed me over.

I can't do a "real" repair because this is a Dell that had Vista pre-installed, so I only have a Vista reinstallation disc.

Since I can't get past the login, I can't take some of the advice that's already been posted here (like disabling/re-enabling the network card). The only other thing I can think of is that I've been playing with a utility that changes the host name of my computer. The first post suggested that name changes can cause conflicts. Does anyone know how to fix this? Again, the only thing I can access right now is the Windows Repair mode (which does have command prompt access). Would physically taking out the network card help?

Thanks much!