Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 upgrade - 0em issue

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 20, 2010 8:30:35 AM

I just tried to upgrade from windows vista 64 ultimate to windows 7 vista ultimate and the upgrade assistant says I cannot upgrade because my vista is oem.
Is there a way around this?
If I uninstall vista - can I then upgrade to windows seven using the upgrade option. Is there any way I can avoid having to uninstall and lose data?
I was so looking forward to upgrading and now this happens!
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2010 8:03:58 PM

"upgrade from windows vista 64 ultimate to windows 7 vista ultimate"
There is no such thing as Windows 7 Vista Ultimate, it's Windows 7 Ultimate.
You are upgrading from Vista Ulitimate 64 bit, what is the version of Windows 7 you are using? is it 32 bit or 64 bit is it an OEM disk or an upgrade disk?
If you have a 32 bit Windows 7, you can't do an inplace upgrade.
Having an OEM version of Vista installed doesn't stop you from upgrading, you may be misinterpreting the cause.
Let us know which Windows 7 version you have and we will try and work out the problem.
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit or 64 bit OEM.
Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade contains both 32 bit and 64 bit disks in the pack.
m
l
July 20, 2010 11:41:28 PM

Jonmor68 said:
"upgrade from windows vista 64 ultimate to windows 7 vista ultimate"
There is no such thing as Windows 7 Vista Ultimate, it's Windows 7 Ultimate.
You are upgrading from Vista Ulitimate 64 bit, what is the version of Windows 7 you are using? is it 32 bit or 64 bit is it an OEM disk or an upgrade disk?
If you have a 32 bit Windows 7, you can't do an inplace upgrade.
Having an OEM version of Vista installed doesn't stop you from upgrading, you may be misinterpreting the cause.
Let us know which Windows 7 version you have and we will try and work out the problem.
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit or 64 bit OEM.
Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade contains both 32 bit and 64 bit disks in the pack.

Thanks - I know - just a typo.
I have vista ultimate 64bit and the upgrade is to 7 ultimate 64bit.
The upgrade advisor just said - oem not compatible with this upgrade.
I don't mind doing a clean install if advised.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2010 1:34:07 AM

You still havn't answered the question, is the disk you are using an OEM disk or is the retail upgrade, there is a difference. You saying the "upgrade is to 7 ultimate 64bit" doesn't tell me which you are using.
I would not expect that message if you were using an Upgrade disk, typically this is a boxed version with both disk included.
m
l
July 21, 2010 10:44:00 AM

Jonmor68 said:
You still havn't answered the question, is the disk you are using an OEM disk or is the retail upgrade, there is a difference. You saying the "upgrade is to 7 ultimate 64bit" doesn't tell me which you are using.
I would not expect that message if you were using an Upgrade disk, typically this is a boxed version with both disk included.

I am not sure! I bought this online from someone who had bought the rights for a bargain. The two disks in covers was all I got. The operating system disk - written on the cover the following: win vista ult to win 7 ult upg fulfill
dell
proof of license
certificate of authenticity
microsoft - product key ---
-----------------------------------------------
On the disk itself it says: for use only as
an upgrade to a qualifying dell(tm) windows 7
upgrade option pc.

-------------------------------------------
I hope this helps. Until my attempted install yesterday I knew nothing
about 0em and retail versions.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2010 9:07:59 PM

Hi shesalright,

If you purchased the Windows 7 disks from someone online, we really have no idea if it is genuine or not (my guess is if you purchased them at a large discount it is not a genuine copy of Windows 7).

If you have a genuine upgrade copy of Windows 7 and you are running an OEM version of Vista, it should not matter. You should be able to upgrade from OEM Vista to Windows 7. You will be able to do an in-place upgrade or a clean installation. Here are guides to help you with the upgrade:

Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 (in-place)- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrad...

Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation) - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrad...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2010 6:53:35 AM

You may have a problem here, first is your PC a Dell which qualifies for the upgrade (there were conditions associated with that type of upgrade).
I think you may have to bite the bullet and write it off, then purchase a genuine Microsoft version.
m
l
!