command prompt /shell query

I have come across the following instruction:-
To find out if you have Java installed, and which version it is, you can
open a command prompt / shell and type in:

java -versionCould someone please assume that I know absolutely nothing and
tell me exactly how I accomplish the above instruction.I have tried all the
things that I can think of, but let us not go there....TIABrian Tozer
5 answers Last reply
More about command prompt shell query

    Hi

    Type the following from Start>Run

    cmd

    and hit Enter.

    Then at the command prompt type

    java -version

    And hit Enter. Please note the space between the a and -.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    > Hi
    >
    > Type the following from Start>Run
    >
    > cmd
    >
    > and hit Enter.
    >
    > Then at the command prompt type
    >
    > java -version
    >
    > And hit Enter. Please note the space between the a and -.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>I have come across the following instruction:-
    >> To find out if you have Java installed, and which version it is, you can
    >> open a command prompt / shell and type in:
    >>
    >> java -versionCould someone please assume that I know absolutely nothing
    >> and tell me exactly how I accomplish the above instruction.I have tried
    >> all the things that I can think of, but let us not go there....

    Thanks Will.
    The response that I get is:-

    'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    program or batch file.

    Is this the expected response if I do not have the MS java application
    installed?
    If so, what should be the response if I do have an alternative (non MS) java
    application installed?

    Thanks
    Brian Tozer

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Type the following from Start>Run
    >>
    >> cmd
    >>
    >> and hit Enter.
    >>
    >> Then at the command prompt type
    >>
    >> java -version
    >>
    >> And hit Enter. Please note the space between the a and -.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>>I have come across the following instruction:-
    >>> To find out if you have Java installed, and which version it is, you can
    >>> open a command prompt / shell and type in:
    >>>
    >>> java -versionCould someone please assume that I know absolutely nothing
    >>> and tell me exactly how I accomplish the above instruction.I have tried
    >>> all the things that I can think of, but let us not go there....
    >
    > Thanks Will.
    > The response that I get is:-
    >
    > 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    > program or batch file.
    >
    > Is this the expected response if I do not have the MS java application
    > installed?
    > If so, what should be the response if I do have an alternative (non MS)
    > java application installed?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brian Tozer

    Hi Brian

    That command works here OK. Go to the following URL and see if it will
    update/install Java for your system:

    http://www.java.com/en/

    There is also a Manual download of Java available on that page.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    Thanks Will for your perfect advice and help.
    All fine now.
    Brian

    > "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    You're welcome Brian - glad your problem is solved.

    --

    > Thanks Will for your perfect advice and help.
    > All fine now.
    > Brian

    >> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message