Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

command prompt /shell query

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:23:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have come across the following instruction:-
To find out if you have Java installed, and which version it is, you can
open a command prompt / shell and type in:

java -versionCould someone please assume that I know absolutely nothing and
tell me exactly how I accomplish the above instruction.I have tried all the
things that I can think of, but let us not go there....TIABrian Tozer
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:23:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

Type the following from Start>Run

cmd

and hit Enter.

Then at the command prompt type

java -version

And hit Enter. Please note the space between the a and -.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
news:D 9j0p4$se1$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>I have come across the following instruction:-
> To find out if you have Java installed, and which version it is, you can
> open a command prompt / shell and type in:
>
> java -versionCould someone please assume that I know absolutely nothing
> and tell me exactly how I accomplish the above instruction.I have tried
> all the things that I can think of, but let us not go there....TIABrian
> Tozer
>
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:00:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eGUS0mVeFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> Type the following from Start>Run
>
> cmd
>
> and hit Enter.
>
> Then at the command prompt type
>
> java -version
>
> And hit Enter. Please note the space between the a and -.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:D 9j0p4$se1$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>I have come across the following instruction:-
>> To find out if you have Java installed, and which version it is, you can
>> open a command prompt / shell and type in:
>>
>> java -versionCould someone please assume that I know absolutely nothing
>> and tell me exactly how I accomplish the above instruction.I have tried
>> all the things that I can think of, but let us not go there....

Thanks Will.
The response that I get is:-

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

Is this the expected response if I do not have the MS java application
installed?
If so, what should be the response if I do have an alternative (non MS) java
application installed?

Thanks
Brian Tozer
Related resources
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:00:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
news:D 9j2u1$1cg$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>
> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:eGUS0mVeFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> Type the following from Start>Run
>>
>> cmd
>>
>> and hit Enter.
>>
>> Then at the command prompt type
>>
>> java -version
>>
>> And hit Enter. Please note the space between the a and -.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> news:D 9j0p4$se1$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>>I have come across the following instruction:-
>>> To find out if you have Java installed, and which version it is, you can
>>> open a command prompt / shell and type in:
>>>
>>> java -versionCould someone please assume that I know absolutely nothing
>>> and tell me exactly how I accomplish the above instruction.I have tried
>>> all the things that I can think of, but let us not go there....
>
> Thanks Will.
> The response that I get is:-
>
> 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.
>
> Is this the expected response if I do not have the MS java application
> installed?
> If so, what should be the response if I do have an alternative (non MS)
> java application installed?
>
> Thanks
> Brian Tozer

Hi Brian

That command works here OK. Go to the following URL and see if it will
update/install Java for your system:

http://www.java.com/en/

There is also a Manual download of Java available on that page.


--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:16:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks Will for your perfect advice and help.
All fine now.
Brian

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:esztHAWeFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:D 9j2u1$1cg$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>
>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:eGUS0mVeFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:16:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You're welcome Brian - glad your problem is solved.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
news:D 9jeen$p4j$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Thanks Will for your perfect advice and help.
> All fine now.
> Brian
>
> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:esztHAWeFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> news:D 9j2u1$1cg$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>>
>>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> news:eGUS0mVeFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
>
!