Need Help Installing Core 2 Extreme

Inabil1ty

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I have a 3-year-old Pentium 4 and I'm interested in upgrading to the Core 2 Extreme QX6700 (after the price drops later this month). I understand that to upgrade to that processor, I'll need a new motherboard and RAM as well. I don't have the know-how to attempt such major surgery on my own, but having Alienware install the upgraded components (which I would have to buy from them at marked-up prices) would cost an arm and a leg. My preference would be to buy the individual components for the best price I can find on the Web, then take my system to a skilled computer technician for the installation. Are there places that will do this sort of thing? Geek Squad doesn't appear to be equipped to handle a major overhaul like this. Where can I find a place that will install computer parts purchased elsewhere? I would also need advice with purchasing the components, to make sure everything's compatible.

schneimj

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
That looks like a nice guide, and a good starting point. I think alot of people are intimidated when it comes to building rigs because of the misconception of how "complex" it can be, when it really is very simple.

You seem to have some smarts by knowing not to trust Geek Squad with anything. I'm not sure where you're from but there are a few small computer shops still around, I would check out the local white pages to see if you can find anything in your area, generally they do good jobs and hopefully won't charge you a ton.

I would try to make an attempt yourself with installing the new hardware, there are a ton of people around here who can help you out in the process if you have questions. Afterall, you have two weeks to do some research before the pricecuts. Then if you get stuck take it to a shop. When I first started putting my rigs togeather many years ago I got stuck so I took it into a small computer shop and a guy helped me finish putting it togeather, no charge. I was also 14 at the time so maybe he just felt sorry for me, not sure. The only reasonably difficult step, which is also the most critical, is installing the CPU.

Good luck.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
LOL... you were 14 at that time and they felt sorry for you? These days, don't expect any store to help you on computer without any $. Your best way to install everything correctly is to read the manual that comes with the parts. I'm sure it will explain how to install the device better than anybody can in this forum.

I'm 14 right now and i've built 5+ computers over the course of 3 years. I never needed help and did all the steps perfectly without any help. All i did was to read the manual and i'm perfect to go. Most product are built for dummies who don't know what they're doing and claims that they know everything. So products are built to withstand brutal punishment from those people. I'm sure you're smarter than those dummies and i know you can build your own computer if you just skim through the manual.

BtW, watch some dummies do some handy work or watching them drive. Watch these shows called Canada's worst handyman or Canada's worst driver, or the US edition of US's worst handyman or US's worst driver. You'll laugh at those stupid people when you see them on TV.

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
10 years ago, I built an MMX200 and a DX2-66 set up. A lot of my buds back then thought the P60/90/100 stuff was junk, and they(much younger than me) were quite right. MMX 133/166/200/233 with 64Meg PC133, a 2Gb HDD, 4Meg Vid, and a 12xCD-ROM, and you were golden waiting for W98. The cost of such an MMX system was quite ridiculous pre-built, easily 2G's: DIY and save $400!

The only time I got stuck was when I built the Athlon 700 (SlotA dbl fan). POS fan connector for the CPU had a bum wire with intermittent signal. What a hassle...lol... finding the source of the problem. Thought for sure it was heat but just a bad fan header. MANY reboots out of the clear blue sky. That one is still in use today as a web surf dialup toy (not by me) in the Maine woods.

f61