kamiblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I shutdown my computer and am installing an update(just 1 of 1)and its not shutting down--just keeps switching between the please wait window to not turn it off and its installing update 1 of 1--its been an hour or more already--can I turn it off? or is there any other option?

kamiblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

I had to turn it off--was 'working'--after about 2 hours and a few futile calls to Microsoft--one 'technician' suggested I turn it off even though I had already googled numerous posts that said under no circumstance to do so--Unfortunately, I did. The OS is corrupted, doesnt fully boot into Windows--just get a blank screen after I choose how to start it(ie safe mode, last known good config, regularly, etc) --Luckily, I had a recovery drive which I swapped in-Unluckily, the cloned drive was made early on after a system restore and doesnt include a lot of the recent software I installed...
Does anyone know how I can fix the damage that was done? The drive is currently connected to my computer through a SATA enclosure(in the old Recovery drive's case), so I can access it, but dont know how to remove the incomplete update, since its no longer the C: drive--I have a complete ERUNT registry backup on it, but not sure how to use that if its no longer my primary drive--Any suggestions?
I dont want to do a system restore on it--Have a lot of software, which Id hate to have to reinstall---and of course I just have the OEM and no actual Windows XP MCE disks....

Thanks

I read this in another thread, and works fine for the other users that have problems.

Open "System Recovery Options" on the repair disk, or OS disk.
Open up the Command Prompt.Try typing the following commands in order:

1- bootrec /fixmbr and hit enter
2- bootrec /fixboot and hit enter
3- bootrec /rebuildbdc and hit enter

kamiblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi and Thanks BE YOUR SELF,

But what is the "system Recovery options"? is that something in Vista? or something off the Windows XP disk(which I dont have)--Or is it something I can access from my recovery disks? Also, using the cmd prompt do I need to specify the drive--the old disk is now volume K: and if so, how would I write that cmd prompt?

Thanks again

kamiblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

When I put in Recovery disk 1--I get this prompt:to reinstall drivers or applications, click OK.
To restore you complete system, click Cancel and restart with the disk in the drive.

Would I want to do the latter option or are the 'System Recovery Options" somewhere on the disk?

Thanks much