coop_12

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
I am wondering where is the best place for case fans, i currently have a 120 on back, 120 on side and air duct on side. Im thinkin about puttin one in front and should that be intake or outtake. Where else should i put some?

I am wondering where is the best place for case fans, i currently have a 120 on back, 120 on side and air duct on side. Im thinkin about puttin one in front and should that be intake or outtake. Where else should i put some?

Front = Intake (cooling the HDs in addition to intake works very well)

Rear = exhaust (120 mm is more effective than 80mm especially if you have a Zalman 9500/9700 blowing to the back of the case). Use an 80mm to 120mm fan adapter if you have to.

Side = Intake

Top = Exhaust.

You want to get a good air flow front to back with as little stagnant air areas in the center of the case as possible. 120mm fans as opposed to smaller 80mm fans can make as much as 2 to 3 C difference alone in some instances. Having a case with great air flow can help a great deal to cool the MB chipsets and be the difference in having a cool running MB as well. Some cases have a full open mesh front which helps a lot to open up the air flow possibilities front to back. I use these Zalman 92mm fans with adapter when I need extra fans for cooling hot running systems. The adapter will house any size fan, 120mm if you need it. HTH.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118204