Temporary Internet Files

June 25, 2005 9:34:01 AM

I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running a
little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually well
over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble deleting
it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete Files), IE
simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files deleted--and
since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the background, wierd as it
may sound. Now the question:

I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to delete
whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed. Then I
looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer. Somehow, in
the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+ files!
That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at all.
Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff in
Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while deleting
these files?

Joe McGuire
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:31:02 PM

Nasty little buggers, those temp internet files. You can reduce the size of
the cache (as mentioned by David) and that'll help quite a bit. Also, I
rarely use the 'delete files' button on the Internet Tools General tab. I
like to go directly to the folder and delete them. If you are having trouble
deleting them all at once, just delete chunks at the time. Also, when you
are deleting things you won't ever really need again, like temp internet
files, don't just hit 'delete', but hold down 'shift' and press 'delete'.
The shift+delete combo permanently deletes things. This can save several
minutes of sitting there waiting for the items to be copied to the recycled
bin, because when you shift+delete, there's no copying... just
perm-deletions! Hope it helps.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:01:47 PM

Much obliged!

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
>appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running a
>little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
>effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
>Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually
>well over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble
>deleting it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete
>Files), IE simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files
>deleted--and since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the background,
>wierd as it may sound. Now the question:
>
> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to
> delete whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed.
> Then I looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer.
> Somehow, in the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+
> files! That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
> Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
> onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at
> all. Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff
> in Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while
> deleting these files?
>
> Joe McGuire

June 25, 2005 6:48:34 PM

Having wasted more time on this than I ever shokuld have spent, I now
realize that this is essentiallyk not solvable. MS Article 301057 notes
that there can be a huge qualntity of stuff int eh Temporary Internet FOlder
that doeds not actuallyk show up in Win Explorer. However, the workaround
in the paper seems to be pretty much a waste of time. I think I was finally
able to get rid of the Temporary Internet Folder byk moving it in IE to a
detachable hard driv e and then disconnecting it. Presumablky Windows
created a new Temporaryk Internet Folder. I have not done a second's
browsing since then but the new folder already has 9.46mb in it, and
ostensibly 966 files. Only a few dozen, however, actually show up iin Win
Exp. That same paper also explains what to do if the amount of stuff kept
in that file exceeds the setting in IE (I reduced the setting to 5mb to see
what woukld happen, but it seems to have no effect.

One more Microsoft mystery.
"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
>appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running a
>little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
>effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
>Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually
>well over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble
>deleting it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete
>Files), IE simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files
>deleted--and since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the background,
>wierd as it may sound. Now the question:
>
> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to
> delete whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed.
> Then I looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer.
> Somehow, in the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+
> files! That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
> Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
> onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at
> all. Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff
> in Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while
> deleting these files?
>
> Joe McGuire

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:26:46 PM

> Having wasted more time on this than I ever shokuld have spent, I now
> realize that this is essentiallyk not solvable. MS Article 301057 notes
> that there can be a huge qualntity of stuff int eh Temporary Internet
> FOlder that doeds not actuallyk show up in Win Explorer. However, the
> workaround in the paper seems to be pretty much a waste of time. I think
> I was finally able to get rid of the Temporary Internet Folder byk moving
> it in IE to a detachable hard driv e and then disconnecting it.
> Presumablky Windows created a new Temporaryk Internet Folder. I have not
> done a second's browsing since then but the new folder already has 9.46mb
> in it, and ostensibly 966 files. Only a few dozen, however, actually show
> up iin Win Exp. That same paper also explains what to do if the amount of
> stuff kept in that file exceeds the setting in IE (I reduced the setting
> to 5mb to see what woukld happen, but it seems to have no effect.

If you want to actually see all of the files in the Temporary Internet Files
folder (which you don't have to do to delete them as David Candy had pointed
out) you can do this by booting to Safe Mode and going into your default
Administrator account, enabling "show hidden files and folders" in Folder
Options and navigating to the TIF for whatever user account you want to do
this for.
Also, if you want, you can simply delete the TIF (the folder itself - not
just the contents)
while in Safe Mode using the default Administrator account. When you reboot
Windows
will automatically create a new TIF and it will be completely empty with a
fresh,
new index.dat file (32kb). I do this about once a month. If you do this, be
sure you delete
the TIF for the appropiate user account and reboot right away.
I was surprised that the KB article you cited didn't mention this more
straight forward
approach - maybe there's a reason for it.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:26:47 PM

Paste this in Start | Run and click OK.

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

You do not need to be in Safe Mode.

You do not need Show hidden files and folders selected.

You do not need Display the contents of system folders selected.

However, you won't see any desktop.ini file.

MS doesn't think that you should delete...

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

I, however have no problem deleting it. I believe that this is left over
from having slow internet connections. Having cable, I don't care.

[[Index.dat is the Internet Explorer cache index file. It facilitates the
browser cache mechanism that speeds access to frequently accessed web pages
across different browser processes in the same user context.]]
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];301057

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o %23kn2WeeFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Erronius <Erronius@warmtoast.com> hunted and pecked:
> "Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Having wasted more time on this than I ever shokuld have spent, I now
>> realize that this is essentiallyk not solvable. MS Article 301057 notes
>> that there can be a huge qualntity of stuff int eh Temporary Internet
>> FOlder that doeds not actuallyk show up in Win Explorer. However, the
>> workaround in the paper seems to be pretty much a waste of time. I think
>> I was finally able to get rid of the Temporary Internet Folder byk moving
>> it in IE to a detachable hard driv e and then disconnecting it.
>> Presumablky Windows created a new Temporaryk Internet Folder. I have not
>> done a second's browsing since then but the new folder already has 9.46mb
>> in it, and ostensibly 966 files. Only a few dozen, however, actually
>> show up iin Win Exp. That same paper also explains what to do if the
>> amount of stuff kept in that file exceeds the setting in IE (I reduced
>> the setting to 5mb to see what woukld happen, but it seems to have no
>> effect.
>
> If you want to actually see all of the files in the Temporary Internet
> Files folder (which you don't have to do to delete them as David Candy
> had pointed out) you can do this by booting to Safe Mode and going into
> your default Administrator account, enabling "show hidden files and
> folders" in Folder Options and navigating to the TIF for whatever user
> account you want to do this for.
> Also, if you want, you can simply delete the TIF (the folder itself - not
> just the contents)
> while in Safe Mode using the default Administrator account. When you
> reboot Windows
> will automatically create a new TIF and it will be completely empty with a
> fresh,
> new index.dat file (32kb). I do this about once a month. If you do this,
> be sure you delete
> the TIF for the appropiate user account and reboot right away.
> I was surprised that the KB article you cited didn't mention this more
> straight forward
> approach - maybe there's a reason for it.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:19:00 AM

It wasn't designed for caches as big as yours. Set yours to 20 to 40 MB (and it will use the cache then - it's not using it now - it's full). When empting tick the box Offline Content. Other programs dump files there like OE.

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uqRoJkWeFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
> appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running a
> little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
> effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
> Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually well
> over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble deleting
> it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete Files), IE
> simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files deleted--and
> since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the background, wierd as it
> may sound. Now the question:
>
> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to delete
> whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed. Then I
> looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer. Somehow, in
> the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+ files!
> That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
> Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
> onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at all.
> Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff in
> Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while deleting
> these files?
>
> Joe McGuire

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:19:01 AM

I usually do that. I will reset the size as you suggested. Any idea why
"Properties" reports 88+ MB of stuff when only a few KB of files actuallyk
show up in Win Explorer? (I have set Windows to show hidden files and
extensions, too)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It wasn't designed for caches as big as yours. Set yours to 20 to 40 MB (and
it will use the cache then - it's not using it now - it's full). When
empting tick the box Offline Content. Other programs dump files there like
OE.

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
> appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running
> little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
> effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
> Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually
> well
> over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble deleting
> it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete Files), IE
> simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files deleted--and
> since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the background, wierd as it
> may sound. Now the question:
>
> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to
> delete
> whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed. Then
> looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer. Somehow,
> in
> the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+ files!
> That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
> Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
> onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at
> all.
> Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff in
> Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while deleting
> these files?
>
> Joe McGuire

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:19:02 AM

Smoke and mirrors.

You do not have to *see* the Content.IE5 folder to delete its contents.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
-----

In news:eYe7R$ZeFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Joe McGuire <mcguirejw@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> I usually do that. I will reset the size as you suggested. Any idea why
> "Properties" reports 88+ MB of stuff when only a few KB of files actuallyk
> show up in Win Explorer? (I have set Windows to show hidden files and
> extensions, too)
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> It wasn't designed for caches as big as yours. Set yours to 20 to 40 MB
> (and it will use the cache then - it's not using it now - it's full). When
> empting tick the box Offline Content. Other programs dump files there like
> OE.

------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
>> appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running
>> little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
>> effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
>> Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually
>> well
>> over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble deleting
>> it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete Files),
>> IE simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files
>> deleted--and since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the
>> background, wierd as it may sound. Now the question:
>>
>> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to
>> delete
>> whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed. Then
>> looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer. Somehow,
>> in
>> the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+ files!
>> That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
>> Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
>> onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at
>> all.
>> Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff in
>> Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while deleting
>> these files?
>>
>> Joe McGuire
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:48:52 AM

news:o hyi90eeFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Paste this in Start | Run and click OK.
>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Thank you Wes - that's much simpler and a big help - appreciate it.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:37:34 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:06:10 -0400, Joe McGuire wrote:

> I usually do that. I will reset the size as you suggested. Any idea why
> "Properties" reports 88+ MB of stuff when only a few KB of files actuallyk
> show up in Win Explorer? (I have set Windows to show hidden files and
> extensions, too)

I don't do much 'offline" browsing of cached files, so I've adopted the
"empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed" setting. The
setting in Internet Options> Advanced page: towards the bottom in the
Security section.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Explorer is not a file manager. It is a namespace browser. Each folder starts a special program. For user generated folders it loads a file browsing program. For TIF it loads a TIF program that shows what VALID files are in the TIF, for schedule tasks it loads a task scheduler program, control panel isn't a file folder at all but a Control Panel program.

Cookies aren't stored in TIF at all, yest they show in the TIF viewer (they come from the cookies folder).

Tick the box Offline Content to delete the non valid files.

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message news:e74OCabeFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Having wasted more time on this than I ever shokuld have spent, I now
> realize that this is essentiallyk not solvable. MS Article 301057 notes
> that there can be a huge qualntity of stuff int eh Temporary Internet FOlder
> that doeds not actuallyk show up in Win Explorer. However, the workaround
> in the paper seems to be pretty much a waste of time. I think I was finally
> able to get rid of the Temporary Internet Folder byk moving it in IE to a
> detachable hard driv e and then disconnecting it. Presumablky Windows
> created a new Temporaryk Internet Folder. I have not done a second's
> browsing since then but the new folder already has 9.46mb in it, and
> ostensibly 966 files. Only a few dozen, however, actually show up iin Win
> Exp. That same paper also explains what to do if the amount of stuff kept
> in that file exceeds the setting in IE (I reduced the setting to 5mb to see
> what woukld happen, but it seems to have no effect.
>
> One more Microsoft mystery.
> "Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
>>appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running a
>>little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
>>effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
>>Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually
>>well over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble
>>deleting it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete
>>Files), IE simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files
>>deleted--and since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the background,
>>wierd as it may sound. Now the question:
>>
>> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to
>> delete whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed.
>> Then I looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer.
>> Somehow, in the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+
>> files! That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
>> Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
>> onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at
>> all. Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff
>> in Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while
>> deleting these files?
>>
>> Joe McGuire

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:46:00 PM

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
>appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is running a
>little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or something to that
>effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt Temporary Internet
>Files for a long time. Found a million files in there. well, actually
>well over 100mb of what was almost certainly junk. Had some trouble
>deleting it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet Options, General, Delete
>Files), IE simply crashed. Well I got the entire collection of files
>deleted--and since I was mad I deleted everything! That's the background,
>wierd as it may sound. Now the question:
>
> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to
> delete whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it crashed.
> Then I looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win Explorer.
> Somehow, in the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated 88+mb and 2,400+
> files! That's what I found when I right-clicked on the folder and checked
> Properties. However, on the right side f the margin in Win Ex there were
> onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each. This does not add up at
> all. Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show the same amount of stuff
> in Properties. What the heck is happening? Should IE crash while
> deleting these files?
>
> Joe McGuire

Similar problem was solved by using the Disk Cleanup utility. Even though
this reported no TIF's present, clicking View Files opened the TIF
folder,with the 'invisible' files visible. Selecting the files and then
Deleting transferred them to the Recycle Bin.Problem solved!

Envo
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:46:01 PM

Disk Cleanup...
Start | Run | Type: cleanmgr | OK | Highlight Temporary Internet Files |
View Files button

Note: Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) will *not* clean:
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5

I don't know why you can view the Content.IE5 folder with Disk Cleanup but
it won't clean the folder.

Clear the Temporary Internet Files using the Windows XP Disk Cleanup utility
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/clearxptif.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Iczve.56804$G8.16314@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Envo <awne16325@spamgapblueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> "Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I don't know if this is the right place for this question; if not I would
>> appreciate a referral to a more appropriate BB. My XP machine is
>> running a little slow and I got a message about virtual memory or
>> something to that effect. Then I remembered that I had not cleaned oukt
>> Temporary Internet Files for a long time. Found a million files in
>> there. well, actually well over 100mb of what was almost certainly
>> junk. Had some trouble deleting it--If I did so in IE (Tools, Internet
>> Options, General, Delete Files), IE simply crashed. Well I got the
>> entire collection of files deleted--and since I was mad I deleted
>> everything! That's the background, wierd as it may sound. Now the
>> question:
>>
>> I then did some web browsing. At the end of that session I tried to
>> delete whatever was in Temporary Internet Files through IE but it
>> crashed. Then I looked at the Temporary Internet Files folder in Win
>> Explorer. Somehow, in the course of maybe an hour I had accumulated
>> 88+mb and 2,400+ files! That's what I found when I right-clicked on the
>> folder and checked Properties. However, on the right side f the margin
>> in Win Ex there were onlyk 7 files, cookies actually, of 1 kb each.
>> This does not add up at all. Then I deleted the 7 files but I still show
>> the same amount of stuff in Properties. What the heck is happening?
>> Should IE crash while deleting these files?
>>
>> Joe McGuire
>>

> Similar problem was solved by using the Disk Cleanup utility. Even though
> this reported no TIF's present, clicking View Files opened the TIF
> folder,with the 'invisible' files visible. Selecting the files and then
> Deleting transferred them to the Recycle Bin.Problem solved!
>

> Envo
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:47:12 PM

You can also...

Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | OK |

You will probably have to click the Folders button on the Tool Bar.
Click: [+] Temporary Internet Files
Click: [+] Content.IE5
Click: Random named folders

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uJGfvEfeFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Erronius <Erronius@warmtoast.com> hunted and pecked:
> news:o hyi90eeFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Paste this in Start | Run and click OK.
>>
>> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> Thank you Wes - that's much simpler and a big help - appreciate it.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:01:08 PM

I have a Temp IE Files question that may have been answered already here ,
but I don't think so.

In Win95 and Win98SE, I used to copy/paste files out of my
C:\Windows>Temporary Internet Files>Content IE5 folder when I wanted to save
certain files, like SWF files and embedded JPG's that couldn't be copied
using the right-click>Save Picture As method.

I just bought a Dell with Win-XP and thought I would copy a humorous Flash
cartoon from Albinoblacksheep.com , but when I opened up my Content IE6 ,
there were no files in any of the 4 subfolders there except the HTML pages.
I even checked the properties of the main Temp Int. Files folder, and it said
only 86kb . The SWF file was 598kb in size. I even did a file search for a
file of 598kb and a search for the Flash files name, but turned up no
results.

I guess what I'm asking is : Where does Win-XP store the graphics files when
you're using I-E 6 to surf the web. Even when I had the Win95 and there were
hidden graphic files stored in the Content IE5 folder, usually I could use my
search or my IrfanView program to browse the Content IE5 folder and see the
files.

I really don't want to, but will I have to remove the IE6 and reinstall IE5
on the new machine to accomplish this? I would hate to have to . Thanks ahead
of time !
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 3:51:35 PM

Sometimes here...

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

As opposed to here...

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

You have to make sure you open

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

before you close IE if you have Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed selected, IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
tab

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:175F3241-089A-4662-8886-F4BFE568A636@microsoft.com,
BigWayne <BigWayne@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have a Temp IE Files question that may have been answered already here ,
> but I don't think so.
>
> In Win95 and Win98SE, I used to copy/paste files out of my
> C:\Windows>Temporary Internet Files>Content IE5 folder when I wanted to
> save certain files, like SWF files and embedded JPG's that couldn't be
> copied using the right-click>Save Picture As method.
>
> I just bought a Dell with Win-XP and thought I would copy a humorous Flash
> cartoon from Albinoblacksheep.com , but when I opened up my Content IE6 ,
> there were no files in any of the 4 subfolders there except the HTML
> pages. I even checked the properties of the main Temp Int. Files folder,
> and it said only 86kb . The SWF file was 598kb in size. I even did a file
> search for a file of 598kb and a search for the Flash files name, but
> turned up no results.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is : Where does Win-XP store the graphics files
> when you're using I-E 6 to surf the web. Even when I had the Win95 and
> there were hidden graphic files stored in the Content IE5 folder, usually
> I could use my search or my IrfanView program to browse the Content IE5
> folder and see the files.
>
> I really don't want to, but will I have to remove the IE6 and reinstall
> IE5 on the new machine to accomplish this? I would hate to have to .
> Thanks ahead of time !
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:08:02 AM

Thanks Wesley !! That did the trick.

I had to uncheck the "Hidden" properties of that Temp Internet Files folder
in my Local Settings folder to see it to access it. I made a shortcut on the
Desktop to pull it up faster.

I copied the embedded Flash and Quicktime files, dragged them into their
appropriate players, and they played just fine !!

Kudo's to you for your help on this . If they allowed smileys here, I
would post the one I have that has the smiley waving his arms like saying
"We're not worthy....." ! ^__^

-BigWayne-
"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Sometimes here...
>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
>
> As opposed to here...
>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> You have to make sure you open
>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
>
> before you close IE if you have Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
> when browser is closed selected, IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
> tab
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:19:24 PM

BigWayne,

I did fail to mention that Local Settings is a Hidden folder. Sorry about
that.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes