Need help! Cant install windows XP.

Hey all,

My wife has somehow managed to infect her computer to the brim with viruses. I have tried multiple programs (Avast, AVG, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware) to clean it up, but they keep popping up, so I figured I would just do a clean install. Well I have account with the Microsoft academic alliance so I downloaded the Iso for Win XP Pro. I burnt the img to a disc and started the process of reinstalling windows.

Its all is smooth until I get to a screen that has me pick the partition to install the new OS to. But for some reason C: is not showing up. Only F:. Now I am stuck as what to do. Why is my C drive not showing up so I can install the new OS? Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch for your help.
Jeryn
1 answer Last reply
More about need help install windows
  1. Go into your BIOS and check your SATA settings. It could be at AHCI Mode right now. Change that to another option - sometimes there are settings like IDE, Enhanced, Compatible, depending on your motherboard.

Or alternatively, download the floppy driver for your controller from the manufacturer/motherboard website and press F6 during the initial screen to install the driver for your controller. This method only supports floppies though.

The BIOS option is probably easiest. Cheers.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP