Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphics Card Upgrades for Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop PC?

Last response: in Windows XP
December 16, 2009 11:16:41 PM

I would like to upgrade my Dell 8400's graphic card. I am not a gamer. I just purchased a 21" HP widescreen monitor that is capable of 1920x1080 to replace the original (4:3 aspect ratio) Dell monitor that came with the computer. I just want a good quality, reliable, name-brand card that will provide the 1920x1080 resolution for the new monitor. The card that came with the computer is not capable of that resolution. My operating system is Windows XP. Does anyone have any suggestions?

More about : graphics card upgrades dell dimension 8400 desktop

December 17, 2009 1:32:25 AM

Thanks for the information. I went to the newegg site at your suggestion, and it looks like the vast majority rate the ATI 4770 as excellent. I was hoping to keep it under $100, but it's pretty close. Actually it sounds like this card is even more than I need, since I don't really game at all. I mostly do photo editing and some streaming and watch an occasional dvd, but I don't want to get a card that is cheap quality that will only last a few months either. My main desire is to have the 1920x1080 resolution ability. One usually gets what one pays for. I'm willing to pay for quality and reliability. Any other thoughts?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2009 1:46:03 AM

This is in your budget range, and is still a quality budget video card. It should do nicely for you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 17, 2009 2:25:08 AM

Thanks once again. I checked this site out as well. Looks great! However, my Dell 8400 only has a 350 watt power supply unit, but a 400w psu is recommended for the 4670 (http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0...). Do you think the card will work OK with the 350 nonetheless, or am I pushing it?
m
l
December 17, 2009 2:30:34 AM

PS: The Dell 8400 also only has a single core P4 processor. Looks like a duo core is recommended for the 4670. I am open to any suggestions you might have.
m
l
December 17, 2009 11:35:48 PM

Thank you so much for your expertise! You don't know how much I appreciate this! I have been looking into the 4670 at your suggestion, and it sounds like a winner. However, apparently there are two versions of this card now. One uses a fan and the other is an "Ultimate" Edition with a wrap around heatsink with "heatpipe" technology (no fan). Do you have a preference? Also the memory in my computer is DDR2 technology while the memory on the card is DD3R. Does this make a difference? (I am really showing my lack of knowledge here).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2009 11:52:59 PM

I don't think it makes much difference with a fan or heatpipes. The only brand that I know of that uses heatpipes is HIS. I've always liked Sapphire, so I guess that's where my preference would be.

The graphics memory is different than your RAM. The difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is the bandwidth. DDR3 can transfer data much faster than DDR2. It's perfectly fine that they aren't the same.

m
l
December 18, 2009 12:13:14 AM

So sorry. One more question. Can I put the PCIe 2.0 x 16 into my unit's PCIe x 16 slot? (In other words, is the 2.0 backwards compatible?).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 18, 2009 12:26:36 AM

Yes, it's backwards compatible. Though, it will affect the performance to a degree.
m
l
!