pkowalkoski

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Newcomer here, sorry if this is a repeat thread, I couldn't find an answer that helped, or that i understood. again, I apologize. I am experiencing (misspelled) the BSoD for the first time on my dell 8250 desktop. I have tried everything (including restoring factory settings) Nothing worked. Any ideas? or should I break down and take it to the local repair shop?

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Take note of the bluescreen message and do a quick google search. I'd start there.
The bluescreen most of the time provides some direction as to why.

If recent drivers were updated, you could choose to boot with "last known good configuration" to see if you are about to get your system back up and running. You can also force this bootup menu by pressing F8 just before the Windows XP loading screen.

Start with that, if you post your bluescreen message here, there will be tons of people on here that can point you to the right direction (or to the local computer store :p)

pkowalkoski

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
that's the problem, no blue screen message, just tech info: stop: 0x0000007e and then some codes in paranthesis. tried googling pretty general info, from hardware to software, i'm not real sure but i think that covers the entire pc, so not alot of help

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The full message will also help. (ie IRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQAUL or KERNAL_MODE etc)

As mentioned this could be a driver / software issue. What was the most recent item you updated or installed?

Have you tried safe mode and last known good configuration yet?

If these steps are beyond your abilities, I do suggest taking it to the shop :)