MSI P6N Diamond, which memory should I get?

FlyingDutchman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I'm in the process of putting together my next computer and I've decided on the P6N Diamond motherboard (680i chipset...) I'm going to put an E6750 CPU in there. I know I'm going to run Vista 64bit with 4Gb of ram, but I can't figure out which ram to get.

Should I get 4 sticks of 1 Gb or 2 of 2Gb (so maybe I can put in more later, though I don't think I'll ever need it...) Should I get 8500 or 6400?

I'm only going to do a very mild overclock, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer on which memory will provide the better performance....

Can anybody help me out?

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Well........ with only a mild overclock the PC6400 will be perfectly adequate. You could get the 8500 and run it with the 680i's unlinked divider, but the performance increase would not be worth the hassle in my opinion. C2D chips do prefer higher frequency memory rather than tighter timings, but as stated, the difference between 400MHz and 533 will not be worth it in terms of gaming performance, unless you have a very good GFX card, and want to squeeze every ounce of performance from your system. Some boards have issues with 4 sticks of RAM, so it would be safer getting 2.