The Best Gaming Video Cards for the Money: July 2007

Detailed video card specifications and reviews are great - that is, if you have the time to do the research. But at the end of the day, what a gamer needs is the best video card within a certain budget.
41 answers Last reply
More about gaming video cards money july 2007
  1. Woohoo, My first vid card is on the list (7300gt) and the card I replaced it with is also on it (x1950pro). Although the x1950pro still seems really power hungry
  2. Sorry! The Requested Page was not Found!

Dear Visitor. The page you requested couldn't be found :( - If you followed a link from another Website please inform their Webmaster. If you happen to get this message while browsing Tom's Hardware Guide please inform the Webmaster of Tom's Hardware Guide.
  3. thats cause we are in the UK and have to wait.... :lol: :lol: :roll:
  4. yay, the HD2900XT is in there, w00t! - Ps, what is that card in the pik that is always used for best cards for money these days?
  5. Confused so why is it listed if we cant access it.
    And am i missing something or isnt it the World Wide Web any more :lol: :lol: :roll:
  6. Maybe this has been said, but I noticed the X1800XT listed in both Tier 6 and 7. :?
  7. BTW the UK costs you quote are way off, you put the X1950XT in the best £150 cat. when you can get them, in the UK with tax, for £104.99 http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119441
  8. Quote:
    Maybe this has been said, but I noticed the X1800XT listed in both Tier 6 and 7. :?

Tier 6 is the X1800 XT, and tier 7 is the MOBILITY X1800 XT...
  9. Where are they getting uk prices from maybe they are just converting american prices and not checking in uk at all.
    I dont know what the conversion rate is but they have the x1650xt way of also.$165 or £105 i just got one a week or so ago for £74.
  10. What I would like to see benchmarked is say two 8800 GTS cards compared to one 8800 GTX Ultra. The price for the 2 GTS cards seems to be about equal to one 8800 GTX Ultra.
  11. Quote:
    What I would like to see benchmarked is say two 8800 GTS cards compared to one 8800 GTX Ultra. The price for the 2 GTS cards seems to be about equal to one 8800 GTX Ultra.

That's a great idea. I'm going to see if I can make that happen.
  12. The correct words are: Abbra Cadabra:
  13. I'm going to propose that I write a separate version for you UKers.

Your prices are different and you deserve your own tailored 'best gaming cards for the money' article!

What are the cheapest sites to get video cards in the UK so I can do the research?...
  14. Off the top of my head:

www.scan.co.uk
    www.aria.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.ebuyer.co.uk

Those are most of the major ones... Other people may have more but I use Scan myself.

Also... What is that GFX card in the article picture?!
  15. Quote:

What are the cheapest sites to get video cards in the UK so I can do the research?...

www.ebuyer.co.uk are probably the largest UK etailer, and are always close to the best price.

And remember - we all have to pay VAT (sales tax) so include this in the cost you quote
  16. so the prices are best guess prices then heh

so if i could access the US ver of tomshardware web site (that i prefer any way) the prices be in US ?

also you NEED to give the user the Option to use UK/EU or US as you cant completely rely on your web site to work out if i am in the UK or not

Any one on AOL UK or SKY UK boradband in the UK get the US web site but it lets you goto the UK one as well (if you put .co.uk on) cant you change it so we can use the US one as well, or do i have to use TOR or an web proxy to get to it
  17. Just picked up the Sapphire X1650 Pro AGP from newegg a few days ago for the $85 mentioned in the article, but they are also offering a $30 mail-in rebate, bringing the price (after shipping) to only $60! Can't really beat it at that price.
  18. This is not nitpicking, but you forgot to include the newer laptop gems in your chart:

-GeForce 8400M GS
    -GeForce 8600M GS
    -GeForce 8600M GT
    -GeForce 8700M GT

In anticipation of your next question, you can find these in the following notebooks:

HP Pavilion dv9500t
    Dell Inspiron 1720
    Toshiba Satellite X205

When can we see these notebooks benchmarked?
  19. i would also like to see a dual card comparison between 7900GS Sli and 1950Pro crossfire, in comparison to todays high end cards (8800gts, 8800gtx, 2900XT, 8800ultra) to see if they are viable.
  20. I think a 1950gt should have been best for $110.... NOT 8600gt
  21. Quote:
    i would also like to see a dual card comparison between 7900GS Sli and 1950Pro crossfire, in comparison to todays high end cards (8800gts, 8800gtx, 2900XT, 8800ultra) to see if they are viable.

THere are a number of comparisons like that. The short answer is that a single high-end card is pretty much always better. Google some reviews to check it out.
  22. Quote:
    I think a 1950gt should have been best for $110.... NOT 8600gt

I can't find an X1950 GT below $130, and for that price it's worth the extra $10 for a PRO.

Remember, we don't consider rebates for the 'best cards for the money' list. But if you can find a good rebate price and are willing to wait for it, go to town...
  23. I'll put in a second request for the 8000 series notebook video cards. I know there are less benchmarks available and you'll probably have to "guesstimate" them somewhat, but it would still be interesting.

I just ordered a killernotebooks laptop with the 8600GS 256mb so that would be interesting to see.
  24. Well, I am not even quite sure what to say here.

It looks to me like every card has its extreme advantages, but, then has a critical disadvantage to go with it.

To name one in particular: The 8800GTS pretty much laughs at any modern game thrown at it; sporting DirectX 10 and the like. Its con is the fact that it runs pretty damn hot (mine is running idle right now at 50 degrees Celsius).

My final say in the matter is buy what you can afford.
  25. Quote:

My final say in the matter is buy what you can afford.

That's the point of the article, mate. :wink:
  26. Quote:

I can't find an X1950 GT below $130, and for that price it's worth the extra $10 for a PRO.

Remember, we don't consider rebates for the 'best cards for the money' list. But if you can find a good rebate price and are willing to wait for it, go to town...

Sure you can after rebates which 8600gt priced are similarly at Newegg as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

$10 difference but 30-50% faster. It's no brainer. :roll:
  27. Quote:

*sigh* :roll:

I repeat:

Remember, we don't consider rebates for the 'best cards for the money' list.
  28. Quote:
    This is not nitpicking, but you forgot to include the newer laptop gems in your chart:
    -GeForce 8700M GT

Not shipping yet.

As for performance, it's still very early and most individual benchmarks are on different platforms (like current SantaRosa T7oddnumberXX versus previous Napa T7evennumberXX and earlier), so a level of consistency needs to be found first for good straight across comparison.

Sofar general consistency from what I've seen;

GF8400M < GFGO7600GS/MRX1700 but much better than the MRX1400 and GFGo7300

GF8600MGS <= GFGO7600GT (which is rare and fast [faster than the GFGO7700]) < MRX1800plain

(I disagree with Cleeve's placement of the GFGO7600GT vs MRX1800, but that's just my experience).

GF8600MGT < GFGO7900GS but faster than the MRX1800plain.

GF8700MGT not sufficiently benched yet just one plus the clock extrapolation, but looks to be equal to or better than the GFGO7900GS.

EDIT: PS Cleeve, I don't think the GFGO6600 deserve any spot above the MRX700 unless it's being awarded something extra for SM3.0, it's got half the vertex shaders and half the ROPs, and in pretty much any head to head test (on equal platforms) of the time the MRX700 came out ahead. Only the greatly overclokced GFGO6600GT was competition which is why it was released afterwards to bring up performance.
  29. Quote:
    GF8700MGT not sufficiently benched yet just one plus the clock extrapolation, but looks to be equal to or better than the GF7900GS.

Always talking about mobility GPUs, right?

Because, basically, the 8700M GT is a downclocked desktop 8600GTS.
    We all know the 8600GTS is (hopefully) equal or (sometimes) worse than the desktop 7900GS.
  30. Yeah I meant GFGO7900GS.

Cleaned it up a bit.
  31. I got my hands on an Acer notebook recently that was equipped with T5250 2GB of RAM and a Geforce 8600M GT. I ran Oblivion on it which ran about as fast as a 7800GT; it wasn't the 8800GTX I usually ran the game with, but for a $1100 laptop the game ran surprisingly well.
  32. Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

$10 difference but 30-50% faster. It's no brainer. :roll:

Ok, so I'm a newbie. But wouldn't it be a better investment to purchase a DX10 capable card instead of a DX9 one, if I'm planning on gaming, even if the other is 30-50% faster? This is assuming I'm not going to buy another video card for a few years.
  33. Quote:

Ok, so I'm a newbie. But wouldn't it be a better investment to purchase a DX10 capable card instead of a DX9 one, if I'm planning on gaming, even if the other is 30-50% faster? This is assuming I'm not going to buy another video card for a few years.

No, here's why:

1. What good is a DirectX 10 feature if the card itself is not fast enough to play games?

2. Just as modern DirectX 9 games support DirectX 8 - and sometimes even DirectX 7 class cards, DirectX 10 games will support DirectX 8 and 9 class cards for a long time into the future.

If a game developer ignored a massive installed Dx9 user base and made a Dx10-only game, they'd limit their market to a fraction of the gamers out there and cut their own throat. Not going to happen.

3. The end-user difference between Dx10 and 9 is more hype than anything. Just like you probably wouldn't notice any quality difference if you played Half-Life 2 on a DirectX 9 card instead of a directX 8 card...
  34. Thanks for the great replies, guys!
  35. Quote:
    Luscious wrote:
    This is not nitpicking, but you forgot to include the newer laptop gems in your chart:
    -GeForce 8700M GT

Not shipping yet.

Actually, it is!

Link

Read my previous post!
  36. I stand corrected.

Just last week it was a pre-order part when I looked back at it (since I first saw it on NotebookReviews).

They just launched them last week after they first appeared on the site as pre-orders;
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3796

My apologies. :oops:

Funny thing is there's next to no reviews of them sofar. So I hadn't seen the change from Pre-order to 2 weeks shipping.
  37. What about 2xATI2900XTX vs. 2xG8800GTX.
    Prices and TOM benchmarks

at this link:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2147064,00.asp

I've read 3dmark06 of 16.660 vs. 12267 at 1280x1024
    and 11.054 vs.7.360 at 2.560x1.600

Best crossfire beating best SLI, and for Prey an company of heroes better for ATI as higher is the resolution.

But perhaps we would need 120 Hz at 2560x1600 monitors, and a 1080p@120Hz test for this cards, becouse is the best we can find with a good price.
  38. Quote:
    :cry: this article may come in more handy than i had hoped since one of my x1900's is playing up. bugger that, if i can't sort this i might have to use a 8800gtx as stop gap till the decent dx10 cards come out.

Bummer on the crapping out of that card man. I assume you were hoping to keep that dually for a while yet right?

I am still just hanging on a single. Nothing I see yet that makes me want to jump higher. (I am waiting until I see what UT3 and Crysis are really going to do)
  39. I have a question - I'm looking into new video cards to replace my dinosaur 5200FX, which can't play a thing obviously.

The issue is that my motherboard will only support PCI express 4X, so I'd like to know which of the following is a better choice for me. On paper, the PCI express looks superior, but I have to consider the motherboard's limitations as well.

I like the look of both:

EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail
    Core clock 500MHz
    PixelPipelines 20
    Memory
    Memory Clock 1380 MHz (effective)
    Memory Size 256MB
    Memory Interface 256-bit
    Memory Type GDDR3

EVGA 256-A8-N506-AX GeForce 7800GS 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X CO Video Card - Retail
    Core clock 430MHz
    PixelPipelines 16
    Memory
    Memory Clock 1300MHz(effective)
    Memory Size 256MB
    Memory Interface 256-bit
    Memory Type GDDR3

Thanks for any feedback.
  40. the 7900GS would do you better. Even at 4X pci-e (8X bothways), the 7900GS is not the sorta card that will moan much.

There was a review done a month or so back that compared the various pci-e rates between the 8800 cards and the 1950 card. The 1950 performance was almost the same down to 4X pci-e. The 8800 cards on the other hand are a different story :).

So my question is...why the 7900GS? why not a x1950pro? the 1950 pro does do better in oblivion by a good margine (if you play this game)

also.....you may have been better of making a new thread....but then again, someone has already asked a similar question before.

Edit: here ya go, pci-e scaling tests

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/27/pci_express_scaling_analysis_uk/
  41. Are there any benchmarks out there yet for the HD 2900 XT from Diamond (the $499 version w/ 1GB of DDR4)??? Anyone know when to expect to see some? Diamond says this is "The World's Fastest Graphics Card" and I was told by Maingear that the 1GB version of this card is much faster than even the Nvidia 8800 Ultra, at a fraction of the cost.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Reviews Gaming Graphics Product