IRQL_not_less_or_equal...

madhatter81

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hi, im new to the site but got a problem that I just cant figure out.

ok, was installing some codecs through win media player for a vid I pulled from the net. this codec contained a virus I believe was called alureon something or other.

during the installation my machine (winxp home) shut down like someone had hit a switch, and now everytime I try to load xp back up it goes into the splash screen and starts to load but quickly (1 or 2 bars into loading) and just restarts itself.

no safe mode, no last good configuration, when I tell it to disable auto restart on system failure I get the bsod error saying: irql not less or equal 0x0000000A.

this is not a ram or other hardware issue I am certian as this machine contains 3 OS's on 3 different hdd's.

I did go into win7 and scan the drive from there in order to remove the trojan, and it was succesful. I now am just looking for a way to get back into xp. i'd be thankful for any help at all here on how to fix the boot error, thanx.

madhatter81

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
already scanned my entire system, all viruses that I can remove have been, im trying to figure out a way to get into my main xp instalation.

I did have vlc media player, the player played this particular file, but it did so in a manner that was blurred beyond recognition.. all files involved have since been deleted and all drives are showing as clean.. that does not however change the fact that the damage done by the virus is still affecting the system, I was hoping someone knew of a way to help me change my regestry perhaps, or could reccomend a way to go about fixing this issue through the recovery console.. I tried fixboot, fixmbr, and every F8 option offered, none of it will get xp to load.

madhatter81

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
aye, thats looking like my only option, was definitelly trying to avoid that because it's my big game hdd and re-installing all those is going to just suck a fat one. I may wait untill I get my new mb and not even bother, unless I can find a fix.

madhatter81

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
hmm, ok.. for some reason I thought last time I did that I had to reinstall most of my games and progs but if thats the case then i'll go ahead and do that and all should be good. thanx.

madhatter81

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
yeah, windows defender took the virus off it seems and just doing a repair install from the xp disc has fixed my boot. pc is running good and all my stuff is where I left it.

thanx for the tip. now I know.