Restore Changed Documents properties settings

fritz61

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I had a file that I could not open in order to read (CompositeLabProWindows). I hastily went to properties in change the file to a messenger file. The file that open and I was able to read the file how ever, an order for the file to work properly I should have been left alone and not tampered with. The men how many times I download the program is still opens up in Windows messenger. My problem is that I need to restore it back to the way it was prior, and remove that the fault mechanism that all some unknown files open up the messenger. How can I do this?

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
If you're in Windows XP, you should be able to hold the LEFT SHIFT button and then RIGHT CLICK on the icon. Keep holding left shift, and then click on "Open" in the context menu.

You should then be given a dialog that lets you choose which program to use to open the file, and if you tick the "Always use this . . . " option, it should remember your choice.

fritz61

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Thank You sorry for the poor grammer, and unclear information. It should have read like this:
I had a file that I could not to read. I right clicked went to properties and change properties to open in/with messenger. The file opened however, it was later determined that the properties should have never been changed. Now each time I download the program is still opens up in Windows messenger. How can I stop my pc from reformatting the properties to messenger?