Help picking out a SATA RAID controler

G3rain1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I'm cant seem to find a card that meats my requirements.

I'm building a NAS box out of spare parts. I have everything,Ordered 2 500GB Segates. But the thing the MB's on board SATA controller only SATA1 and the drives are SATA2. The MB is a Asus A7N8X-D. Is the RAID on its controller software or hardware?

What card should I get, there's a lot of confusing info out there. I would be looking for something that is full hardware RAID 1 support, regular PCI interface, SATA II with a minimum of 2 internal ports. And can configure the array from the cards BIOS.

Would it even be beneficial to buy an add in controller, or go with the on board controler?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If your network runs at 100Mb/s that is less than 10MB/s(MBytes/s), so SATAI SATAII doesn't matter. In fact, RAID0 will be a waste of time, and just make loss of data more likely. Just build it as is and see how fast you can transfer data.

Mike.

G3rain1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I want RAID1 not RAID0.

If I build it with the on-board controller and then decide its insufficient would it be possible to migrate the array to a new controller and preserve the data?

G3rain1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
> I would be looking for something that is full hardware RAID 1 support, regular PCI interface, SATA II with a minimum of 2 internal ports. And can configure the array from the cards BIOS.

We had good luck installing a Promise TX4310
on a PGA-478 machine we built as a birthday gift
for a friend. That RAID controller appears
to satisfy your needs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102080

Some of the reviewers report that this is not true hardware RAID. Is there any hard and fast way to tell if a card is hardware RAID or not. The manufactures never seem too forthcoming with that information.