what if?! intel has problems with shrink/yields at 45nm?

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
i gotta start threads like this!

but seriously! what if intel is having problems with shrinking the c2d line?

I mean there are several steps along the way they could develop problems with an immature process. What if the yields of the higher bin 45nm line are super low?

Granted they could start making 45watt 45nm c2d's, but its very likely they could be having problems getting them above 3ghz. Which would allow AMD to take the lead if they EVER release k10!!

leave you post glaze all over my topic!!

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
The C2D and C2Q line will still be in the lead, Fan. from AMD will not sell because the C2Q line is so cheap compare to it. Only AMD fan will buy it. Normal people who care about performance:price will buy C2Q or C2D instead of buying Fan. or x2s .

Furious5k

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Assuming that was an honest question and not a fanboy trying to find a improbable possibility (Could be, I suppose), I'd be only happy for pressure being put on Intel to release better stuff or lower their prices more.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
lol,"fan".

I love people who wish bad things to happen rather than wish their favorite companies could actually get their $hit together and build a competing product, if Intel fails then AMD will be the best!

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Seems that they'll do the same thing they are planning with the 65nm to 45nm transition. AMD may transition from 45nm to 32nm within a year in order to stay, step to step with Intels Pace. Hardly a possibility that 45nm Core 2 Duo/Quad's won't rock at least as much(if not more) as they already do.

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
what if AMD is dead by then?

what if IBM comes up with this amazing new powerpc architecture which runs circles around intel and AMD grabbing 95% of the processor market share?

what if the world gets destroyed by global warming/nuclear holocaust/new virus by then? :twisted:

:lol:

If Intel hits some serious difficulties in moving to 45 nm I'll bet that AMD hits them too. Considering that Intel has a good advance and a lot more cash for R&D, I'd say such difficulties would delay Intel less than AMD and Intel's lead would increase, not decrease. If you're rooting for AMD and I just destroyed your last hope please accept my apologies :p

What if there's a new Ice Age and we didn't do enough global warming to prevent it? Or maybe locusts eat everything and we all starve to death. OK, this topic is fun, but should it really be on the CPU forum :lol: :lol:

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
what if all the world is a stage just or my benefit and i get run over by a truck thereby causing the universe to stop existing? :twisted:

ok ok i gotta stop! :D

nop

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
but seriously! what if intel is having problems with shrinking the c2d line?

I mean there are several steps along the way they could develop problems with an immature process. What if the yields of the higher bin 45nm line are super low?

Look; of course they have problems getting to 45 nm. That's clear. If they didn't, they'd be releasing smaller and therefore more profitable 45 nm parts now.

What they have got is also a plan, a roadmap, to deal with the problems that they know of now. There will be teams of people dealing with the problems with the intention of making them all go away by the time of production release. Right this minute, there will probably be engineers tearing their hair out at some of the problems, but that's what they are paid for. Maybe some unanticipated problems will come up. Maybe the problems will be easier to solve than anticipated and they allow some of the engineers out in the hours of daylight.

If history is any guide, what Intel will also do is prepare a position whereby they can sell initial parts, which may well have a frighteningly low yield, at high prices so that they can afford it. And they have the kind of bank balance that allows them to take a long term decision if strategy means that they have to over-ride the short term profitability, particularly for a low volume, high performance part.

While being far from an Intel fanboy, I have to comment that Intel probably has the industry's best record at getting the introduction of this kind of technology step right, so I don't see why you should be suggesting that there is a 'show stopper' unless you have some evidence.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
wtf?
1) Intel has already demonstrated 45nm processors working at 3.33ghz. Doesn't sound like any major problems with the 45nm process to me!
2) Intel is building, as fast as it can, two new 45nm fabs, to join the one existing. You can't produce something in quantity without the equipment to do it. And you can't make 45nm products on equipment designed for 65 nm.
Once the new fabs are online, you'll start seeing the 45nm processors in short order.

Intels says:

Intel's 45nm Manufacturing
Intel is currently developing its 45nm process on 300mm wafers in Hillsboro, Oregon, in D1D ... two new 300mm fabs are being built for the coming 45nm ramp: Fab 32 in Ocotillo, Arizona (production due to start in the second half of 2007) and Fab 28 in Israel (production to start in the first half of 2008).

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What if we get hit by a meteor and all life on the planet is extinguished :?:

No really, what if people would cease starting ridiculous BS threads on the forums :?:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
If Intel hits some serious difficulties in moving to 45 nm I'll bet that AMD hits them too. Considering that Intel has a good advance and a lot more cash for R&D, I'd say such difficulties would delay Intel less than AMD and Intel's lead would increase, not decrease. If you're rooting for AMD and I just destroyed your last hope please accept my apologies :p

Well remember, it appears AMD has already been having problems at 65nm. Theyre highest clock @65nm will be the 2.7GHz 5600---when it gets released which was supposed to be sometime last month. Intel has been @ 2.93Ghz with the 6800 since C2D was released. The AMD 90 nms are getting around 3.0~3.2 OCs on air, while the highest Ive seen with AMDs 65nm on air are around 3Ghz(if anybody has any recent AMD 65nm OC reviews, could you post a link please....I havent seen one in awhile), while the Intels have been been pressing up to 3.9GHz on air, and even over 4 with the ESs from last year.

Someone mentioned in another thread it may be in AMDs best interest to skip ahead to 45nm as quickly as possible, and that may be a good stratedgy for them as their 65nm process hasnt seemed to be working all that well relative to the competitions. With 45nm AMD will to go to a new process, and it appears that is just the thing they need to do.

javimars

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
What if there's a new Ice Age and we didn't do enough global warming to prevent it? Or maybe locusts eat everything and we all starve to death. OK, this topic is fun, but should it really be on the CPU forum :lol: :lol:
i would sit my pc outdifr opened case and oc it and mel the icebergs. i would get 400ghz? ^_^

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Yep thats right folks the core2duos will beat AMD's brand new products. They are that thick that they aren't going to improve theirs at all.

So many people seriously over-rate core2duos.. yes they are good, but not that good...

AMD's Agena X4 wont be as cheap as core2quad by any means but it should walk all over it.

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Yep thats right folks the core2duos will beat AMD's brand new products. They are that thick that they aren't going to improve theirs at all.
So many people seriously over-rate core2duos.. yes they are good, but not that good...
AMD's Agena X4 wont be as cheap as core2quad by any means but it should walk all over it.
---------------------------------------------
Na na na na na na na na HATMAN!
Na na na na na na na na Twat Man.

I know it’s juvenile but Fan boys wind me up.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
---------------------------------------------
Na na na na na na na na HATMAN!
Na na na na na na na na Twat Man.

I know it’s juvenile but Fan boys wind me up.

So you're saying I'm a twat because I think AMD isn't stupid enough to make a whole new product that doesn't match an older product? You're calling me a fanboy because I think AMD might have a desent product coming out?

Their quad core SHOULD perform better than the core2quad as long as it has half desent frequencies.

I think I've got pretty good reasoning behind my point.. you haven't its just an insult. And a bad one.

Grow up.

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
So you're saying I'm a twat because I think AMD isn't stupid enough to make a whole new product that doesn't match an older product? You're calling me a fanboy because I think AMD might have a desent product coming out?
Their quad core SHOULD perform better than the core2quad as long as it has half desent frequencies.
I think I've got pretty good reasoning behind my point.. Grow up.
I called you a twat because your post stunk of the smell of a fanboy and contained nothing but meaningless vagaries. When I read your signature it confirmed my suspicion and my infantile nature took over and I couldn’t help but respond in a puerile and immature way.
I apologise, I’m too old to be insulting teenagers; have a nice day.

P.S. I’m pretty confident that Phenom is a good architecture, but whether they can produce it at high enough clocks with a good enough yield in a timely manner is looking very touch and go right now. If so I might well pop one in my current main rig.

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Really, quite right.
Now if the OP had asked about Intel's migration to DISCREET 32nm cores in the Nehalem series, we'd have more room for idle speculation. But Intel probably won't have much trouble after it "sees the Barcy", and figures out what NOT to do. Oh yeah, make it smaller, so the yields go up.

Keeping it reasonably cool will be the real test IMHO. However, as H2O cooling becomes more acceptable, the desire for heat reduction diminishes... air cooled processors ruled out b/4 4thQ 2009.

f61

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
We'll see what the INTEL shrink yields us when it comes out. Same for AMD.

Until then, we can play games as long as we want. This thread should be closed unless someone actually found an article on Intel facing shrinking problems.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
So you're saying I'm a twat because I think AMD isn't stupid enough to make a whole new product that doesn't match an older product?

2400 Pro, 2600Pro/XT, 2900XT... :wink: :lol:

To be fair AMD probably came along too late to do anything much to the R600 series cards, but the point still stands.

For what its worth, I do believe a 2GHz Barcelona would be slower than the fastest Clovertown, and I do believe Phenom would be slower than a Penryn unless it scales exceptionally well, which seems unlikely at this point. It may match Conroe, but that won't be what AMD is competing against by the time it comes out.