Your question

Trying to set up FTP server on home computer

Tags:
  • FTP
  • Computers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 12, 2004 8:16:29 AM

Ok I have been trying to set up a web server on my home computer for quite a while now. Im using IIS at the moment because I cant be bothered to use apache, the FTP site i have created can be accessed via my network by typing ftp://192.168.0.19

The problem is that I cannot access the FTP site from accross the internet. Which kinda defeats the object. Im using a netgear DG814 router, I have a static IP address for my internet connection and the computer I plan to use for the server has been set up with the static address 192.168.0.19

Im using port forwarding on port 21 at the moment, and I have tried putting my computer on a DMZ, but I still cannot access my FTP site externally from my network.

Any ideas anyone? Any help would be appreciated.

[Insert witty comment here]

More about : set ftp server home computer

February 12, 2004 12:11:45 PM

any chance your ISP is blocking port 21?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
February 12, 2004 1:26:47 PM

I have no idea, but ive also tried a HTTP site aswell and I get the same problem. How would I go about finding out if port 21 is being blocked?

Related resources
February 12, 2004 1:44:12 PM

actaully there's probably a pretty small chance that it's being blocked. Usually the only port an ISP will block is 80.

Can your router allow WAN administration? If so, turn it on
for a moment and then try to access that from a remote site (I'm assuming a friend is testing this for you or smoething). If you can't get to the router than you know it's not your LAN config that's the problem. If you can get to it, then something is definitely wrong with your LAN config. Possibly something like a reboot is needed and you haven't yet done that? Remember to turn off remote (WAN) admin after the test.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
February 12, 2004 5:46:54 PM

theres a bunch of options in the security section, allow outside requests and stuff like that. enable all of them and see what happens.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
February 12, 2004 8:05:39 PM

Cheers for all your help guys, I fiddled with a load of stuff and it seems to work now...even though I not sure what I did. Neway thanx for taking the time to post tis appreciated.

!