Sign in with
Your question
Solved

::: Weird Spam/what is it??::

Last response: in Windows XP
December 20, 2009 1:35:28 AM

Hello,

I am baffled what this thing is... Let me explain:
When I launch Internet Explorer 8 on my XP Pro machine, some crap starts loading, I see on the bottom of IE various sites (also clicking noise gives that away...)
The funny thing is, nothing pops up, does not re-direct.. And this is weird but all the sudden some gibberish sounds start playing... Sounds like multiple audio into one...
I am in IT business, so I tried finding the source in Task manager, fully scanned for worms/trojans, you name it, and nothing was found!!This issue also locks up my IE, and I need to kill it... What the hell is it?? How do you troubleshoot something that only comes out from PC speakers??

More about : weird spam

a b 8 Security
December 20, 2009 5:32:53 AM

You may just have some interference on the frequency your speakers are using.

To rule out a virus, boot into safe mode with networking (f8 on startup). Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

FYI, IE8 has been pretty flaky since it came out. You may want to roll back to IE7 or switch to Firefox or some other browser.
m
l
December 20, 2009 1:49:52 PM

aford, Thanks for advise! I rule out interference, this ccurs the instant I start surfing on the net with IE8. IE is my backup browser since it reads sites in the right manner, some browsers are limited. I dont have this issue with pther browsers, just this. Happy Holidays!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 20, 2009 7:00:43 PM

Maybe try resetting IE8 completely. When the first run wizard comes up disable all the options like accelerators and download options. My experience with IE8 is horrible, but it seems more tolerable if I disable all those fancy features.

But then again, why use IE8 then right haha. I'd just uninstall and rollback to IE7 like aford said :) 
December 21, 2009 10:42:19 AM

Exactly!! IE 8 hasnt improved, MS lives in their own little world!
m
l
a b 8 Security
December 21, 2009 10:50:14 AM

Personally, I like Firefox.
m
l
December 21, 2009 3:45:14 PM

A bit out of topic of this thread, but I use Chrome myself with Windows 7 (which comes with IE8). My IE8 crashes and hangs all the time. Chrome is lightning fast :) 

I am also a big fan of FireFox as well.
m
l
December 21, 2009 3:57:17 PM

What is your home page? Pages like MSN that have a ton of material usually pull from a variety of domains to load everything, especially if its a customized start page. Its not necessarily malware, could be legit accelerators or add-ons that are acting up.
m
l
!