Ultra 120 Extreme or Tuniq Tower for my Q6600?

deerhunter716

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Getting a new rig and want to clock it to 3.0 GHz and no higher. Which of these are better? I have heard them both mentioned and curious if anyone has any real-world details with the Q6600 using one of these and the results.

Will it keep my temps under 65 Celsius? Also, I do not want to put in any extra work. I want to buy a cooling kit and put it right on; no sanding it, etc. Or if you recommend another air cooler then by all means post it as well.

If it helps my case will be the Coolermaster Stacker 830, 4 x 1GB RAM, 8800GTX.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Tuniq tower 120 is better than Ultra 120 extreme if you get cheap fans.
Tuniq tower is 10% cheaper than Ultra 120 extreme without fan. If you buy a good fan like Scythe SFlex, then it cost you another 20$. Also, Ultra 120 Extreme is pretty tall, so do some research on its height requirement before buying. Tuniq Tower comes with fan concontroller, thermal compound, fan, and the heatsink itself. If you buy Ultra 120 extreme, you'll have to get a Fan, thermal compound, fan controller if you need one,

In conclusion, if you only want a quick easy solution for a cheaper price, get Tuniq tower 120. If you want a better and a lot more expensive heatsink, get Ultra Extreme 120 ( it's only better than Tuniq tower buy 1-2 degrees,).
I would suggest you buy Tuniq Tower 120 because it comes with everything you need all in one package and is also cheaper. It's better to buy it because some computer case doesn't fit Ultra Extreme 120.

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Tuniq tower 120 is better than Ultra 120 extreme if you get cheap fans.
Tuniq tower is 10% cheaper than Ultra 120 extreme without fan. If you buy a good fan like Scythe SFlex, then it cost you another 20$. Also, Ultra 120 Extreme is pretty tall, so do some research on its height requirement before buying. Tuniq Tower comes with fan concontroller, thermal compound, fan, and the heatsink itself. If you buy Ultra 120 extreme, you'll have to get a Fan, thermal compound, fan controller if you need one,

In conclusion, if you only want a quick easy solution for a cheaper price, get Tuniq tower 120. If you want a better and a lot more expensive heatsink, get Ultra Extreme 120 ( it's only better than Tuniq tower buy 1-2 degrees,).
I would suggest you buy Tuniq Tower 120 because it comes with everything you need all in one package and is also cheaper. It's better to buy it because some computer case doesn't fit Ultra Extreme 120.

1-2 celius you sure about that lol

I was planing on getting 120 extreme but i need good fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705004

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
First off what MB are you using? I have owned both coolers and more. If you happen to own an EVGA 680i board then for both of the coolers you will need to modify the backplate. And by modify i mean you will have to drill a hole into it so that the backplate can sit level on the MB. If you do not own that particular kind or any NVIDIA 680i reference board then pay no attention to my ramble. I have owned both of these coolers and in my system I got 2c lower Idle temps along with 5c load temps. For me I don't think the Thermalright ultra-120 extreme was that big of a deal. Both of these coolers got beat out my by my Vigor Monsoon II. Both are easy to install good instructions. The Thermalright Ultra 120 Ex. will def. cost you more in the long run. But if money is not a big issue i would go for the Ultra 120 extreme it gives a little more room in the case to work with and such but this is IMO. I have read of other people getting HUGE temp decreases when using this Heatsink compared to there older Tuniq Tower. I can't completely talk bad about this heatsink until my new case fans come in this week when i will see what this baby can do.

deerhunter716

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I am getting the exact same Evga motherboard. So it sounds like a pain to install those. was looking at the Monsoon Lite also; but how loud is that one?

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
It doesn't even fit on this MB. The backplate would require a huge amount of modifying to get it on. The backplate is a lot bigger then both the Tuniq Tower's and Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. It hits a lot of solider points on the back of the board that allow it to not sit level on the back of the board.

deerhunter716

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Oh okay, thanks a ton. Was it easy to drill the hole so it would fit and something I would be able to handle with ease (would be my first time doing this ever).

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Yes it was very easy for my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme it took 15mins TOTAL. Let me refer you to the EVGA site where I originally started a post about mounting this cooler. This is the website just check it out. It should give you everything you need to do this. If you have any problems or more questions just shot me a PM and I will do my best to answer it.

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=65083&mpage=1&key=&#68557

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Yes it was very easy for my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme it took 15mins TOTAL. Let me refer you to the EVGA site where I originally started a post about mounting this cooler. This is the website just check it out. It should give you everything you need to do this. If you have any problems or more questions just shot me a PM and I will do my best to answer it.

what]http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=65083&mpage=1&key=&#68557
what about GIGABYTE P35 PS3R boards do you need drill the hole for thermalright extreme or tuniq tower?

deerhunter716

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Thanks Fate!!! Can you PM me your e-mail addy? I do not have 50 posts and cannot PM yet, lol If you do not mind. I just a minor question for ya.

Also, has the Ultra 120 extreme been the best cooler for you vs. Tuniq and the Monsoon?

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
NO problem at all Deerhunter glad I could help some at least. Yea the Monsoon II was a GREAT cooler but since the backplate would not fit (well you prolly could make it fit but it would take some heavy modifying to get it to fit correctly and then there wouldn't be much of a backplate left). Comparing all 3 of them the Monsoon idled a little cooler about 3c cooler but the Thermalright runs cooler at load about 6-7c cooler. Which is a significant difference. I would recommend for you to get the Thermalright other then drilling the hole the installation is very easy. You will need to buy a fan also with it because the Heatsink does not come with one. I would HIGHLY recommend the fan in my sig for it (same one I am running) it will cost you over $15 but it is suppose to be the BEST fan to run with this heatsink. Total shipping and everything it cost me $93 from newegg. Now CrazyPC has it alot cheaper now get it all through there.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120_extreme-50983.html

And just add the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan from that screen and you are set and make sure to get good thermal compound Arctic Silver 5 or better. I will shot you a PM with my E-mail address later tonight I have to run right now. I hope this helps you somewhat.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705004

That Rexus WILL sound like a jet engine. Go with the SFlex, it was plenty of airflow.

aydterracer2005

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Does anybody know if the Tuniq Tower will fit in a NZXT Apollo case with a Gigabyte P35-DSR and a 8800 series GPU? I have never overclocked before and this is my going to be my first build so I would like to try. Also, the Apollo case comes with 2 fans would this be good enough or would I need to get one of the Scythe fans recommended above. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Here is the case:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811146025

PS Im getting a Q6600 as well :lol:

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Deerhunter, I just realized what case you were putting the thermalright extreme in. You will prolly have to go down to 3 fans on the side of the case to fit it in there, but that is no biggie. Hopefully you won't have to do any modifing to the plastic 4 fan holder on the side. If you do just use a dremel.

How do you like that case by the way man? I am thinking about giving up the Silverstone TJ09 to get one.

freakz28

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
whats up i have both coolers and the TRUE extreme 120 does infact have a big advantage over the tuniq tower if done properly i believe both coolers STOCK right out of the box AS IS i belive would perform the same if not off by 1 - 2c MAX at load

test machine
ud3p q9550 @ 4.0ghz fine tuned @ 1.23 volts at full load w/ line pack IBT

tuniq tower 120 lapped w/ washer mod
at load with intel burn test 72c 72c 71c 71c ambient room temp 74F with case antec 900 case fans on high and the side panel open and the heat sink fan at 2000 - 2100 rpms

true extreme 120 lapped w/ washer mod
at load with intel burn test 68c 68c 66c 66c room ambient temps 74F with case antec 900 case fans on LOW and the side panel CLOSED and the heat sink fan at 1900 - 2000 rpms.

as a owner to both coolers i love the tuniq tower its half the price of the true extreme and preforms very closely to its big brother but numbers dont lie

=) hope this reply helps somebody there are infact alot of tuniq owners that belive they can out preform a true i beilve a washer modded tuniq tower / lapped CAN and will out preform a STOCK True out of the box :sol: