Xp crashes before login

I used Process Monitor to monitor system operation and because I have been having problems with Firefox using too many CPU cycles and memory I was going through and killing processes that I did not need. This is a new app for me. At one point when killing a process, I received an advice notice asking for confirmation. I am familiar with these kinds of notices appearing in Task Manager so I didn't pay much attention.

I'm not sure killing processes caused my inititial crash or not, but now when trying to boot I cannot get to the login screen, as soon as windows starts to load it crashes.

I have tried Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration. Neither works to solve the problem. I have a drive recovery utility from Iolo System Mechanic which ran two drive checks without reporting problems. I don't think the CPU is overheating because it took some time for the drive recovery checks to complete.

Apparently someting in Windows got corrupted, but I am not sure how to fix it. Any help is appreciated. I live in Mexico and that complicates getting the machine repaired, although I have had an HP dealer here in town fix this computer in the past when the MOBO failed.
2 answers Last reply
More about crashes login
  1. You need to hit F8 when Windows is booting and disable automatic restarts. You should be able to then see the error causing Windows to reboot.
  2. Just tried and I get the same results. As soon as the Windows splash screen appears a few seconds transpire and computer crashes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Monitors Windows XP