Sign in with
Your question

Help My HDD has disappeared

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2007 8:40:56 PM

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help please

I have two sata HDD in my PC (not in Raid). The C: drive is my main drive and has all programs on. The second is my media drive and is where I store music and movies etc. I have XP Home.

Both HDD have been in and working fine since November 06.
I turned my PC on today and the 2nd HDD has disappeared. I tried a restart but that didnt work. It doesnt show up in device manager at all.

Over the last few days it has been a bit sluggish in responding and the pc crashed a few times when accessing the 2nd drive.

Does anyone have any ideas as I have no clue.

Please and Thank you.

More about : hdd disappeared

July 3, 2007 9:27:37 PM

Reseat drive data cable at both ends, or try a different cable! Rest a screwdriver blade against the drive, put your ear to other end to hear if drive spins up. If not, it's a doorstop! Use the system you posted with to download drive manufacturers diagnostic software and run it on the faulty drive. See what result.

Mike.
July 3, 2007 9:29:54 PM

Quote:
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help please

I have two sata HDD in my PC (not in Raid). The C: drive is my main drive and has all programs on. The second is my media drive and is where I store music and movies etc. I have XP Home.

Both HDD have been in and working fine since November 06.
I turned my PC on today and the 2nd HDD has disappeared. I tried a restart but that didnt work. It doesnt show up in device manager at all.

Over the last few days it has been a bit sluggish in responding and the pc crashed a few times when accessing the 2nd drive.

Does anyone have any ideas as I have no clue.

Please and Thank you.

You may have a dead hdd,does it show up in the bios,,at all??.if so do you have/can get a ME floppy with scandisk?? you may ?? just have bad blocks
also try to boot to dos with a floppy and see if the hdd shows up at all Nov 06 does not seem long enough to absolutely kill any modern hdd btw,,check all your hdd's connections,I have had several hdd's go south due to ide cable not in all the way...:) 
!