Sign in with
Your question

HDD failing Chk dsks

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2007 8:49:28 PM

just installed a new 300gb IDE drive into my computer.
Transfered aload of music files onto it and it corrupted alot of info.

scheduled chkdsks at start up bom out during step 1 of 3 (then it loads windows normally) when trying run> Chkdsk /f it says

"Cannot Lock Drive
drive in use by another process schedual scan at next boot etc etc"

fails boot chkdsks

Drive is connected on the same IDE cable as my DVD writer (there is only 1 IDE port on my mobo so i cant give it its own cable) with the DVD at the end, HDD has the middle connector on the ribbon.

Jumpers are set to cable select

how can i get it to take a chkdsk?

[EDIT] Drive is a Western Digital

More about : hdd failing chk dsks

July 3, 2007 9:16:54 PM

Quote:
just installed a new 300gb IDE drive into my computer.
Transfered aload of music files onto it and it corrupted alot of info.

scheduled chkdsks at start up bom out during step 1 of 3 (then it loads windows normally) when trying run> Chkdsk /f it says

"Cannot Lock Drive
drive in use by another process schedual scan at next boot etc etc"

fails boot chkdsks

Drive is connected on the same IDE cable as my DVD writer (there is only 1 IDE port on my mobo so i cant give it its own cable) with the DVD at the end, HDD has the middle connector on the ribbon.

Jumpers are set to cable select

how can i get it to take a chkdsk?

On cable select the hdd should be the last,farthest away from the mobo...:) 

[EDIT] Drive is a Western Digital
July 3, 2007 9:26:06 PM

i cant physically put it urthest away unfortunatly due to restrictions with the IDE cable and case, it has to be connected HDD closest and DVD furthest away...

what should i do?
Related resources
July 3, 2007 9:39:20 PM

First, run Memtest86 for a few passes, faulty memory will corrupt data written to HD. Download and run drive manufacturers diagnostic to test drive, it may well be faulty.

Mike.
July 3, 2007 9:43:26 PM

memory is fine.

Its a brand new hard drive from an RMA, the same thing was happening with th eold drive so im thinkning that it cannot be coincidence surely?

its a fking pain in the ass, it has corruped most of my 40 gigs of music i transfered over to it after i installed it.

[EDIT] just installed the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and it doesnt even pick up the hard drives info it says there is a cable problem whats the deal?

is it because i have the jumper set to cable select and its closest to the MOBO?
July 3, 2007 9:52:37 PM

Well, assuming you have verified that your memory is working properly, then it's time to examine what else might possibly cause that behavior. First thing that leaps to my mind would be a dying IDE controller, which is integrated into the chipset on your motherboard, in most cases. Simple way to test would be to remove the drive, hook it up to some other computer, and copy some data over. See if the problem happens again. If not, we can at least eliminate the drive.

You're right, the odds of getting 2 drives in a row with the same fault are pretty slim. I'm betting on the controller, but there could be something else at fault as well.

Good luck.

-J
July 3, 2007 9:58:28 PM

it works fine in an external USB enclosure.

I mean it shows up in my computer fine
withe the Western Digital Tools, the tool detects a drive but is unable to determine the Hard drives size or serial number etc, when running the test anyway it says cable error.

transfered all my music, few tracks are unplayable and for the most part the rest of the tracks are slightly correpted (popping sounds).

could it be down to jumper settings?
if so what should i change them too?
July 3, 2007 10:19:34 PM

Quote:
EDIT] just installed the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and it doesnt even pick up the hard drives info it says there is a cable problem whats the deal?
Duh :!: :!: Could it be ... A faulty CABLE :?: :?: :?: :?:

Try another cable, or disconnect the DVD drive while testing. Are you SURE both devices are on CS AND its an 80wire cable :?: Try putting DVD as master with HD as slave.

Mike.
July 3, 2007 10:26:09 PM

Sounds like the IDE cable to me
July 3, 2007 11:13:59 PM

right:

both on cs: nothing changes
dvd on master hdd as slave: still fails chkdisks and now crashes my computer when trying to open the wd diagnostic tools.

:( 

this is really fking annoying.
July 3, 2007 11:21:53 PM

Put the drive in another computer, not as the boot drive, and run checkdisk from that computer's OS. You said your memory was fine, but did you actually check with memtest or did you just say that because you wanted to skip any questions about your memory? :p 

Also if the drive seems to work fine through USB then it could very well be your disk controller like cmptrdude79 mentioned. Try his suggestion then get back to us. Before anything else though, try a different IDE cable and switch the IDE setup someone else suggested to HDD master and DVD-writer as slave.
July 3, 2007 11:28:30 PM

Run SpinRite by GRC on the drive. It runs off a bootable CD, so it will take windows out of the picture. It will report any problem with the cables, ram and controllers.
July 3, 2007 11:34:30 PM

i ran memtest a while back and everything was fine and stable

im going to fiddle with it in other computers tomorrow.

im thinking i will just buy a SATA drive and sell this one to my bro who can use it, what do you recon?
July 4, 2007 12:02:39 AM

SpinRite is disk utility that works at the controller level. It can find and repair a lot of things.
July 4, 2007 12:05:54 AM

ok ill give that a go, is there an idiots guide of how to use it?
and what jumper settings should i hve the drives on when i do it?
a b G Storage
July 4, 2007 1:15:17 AM

ok IDE rules - The blue connector has to goto the motherboard, the other end of the cable goes to the master device and the middle connector is for slave, Cable Select (CS) has never worked for me so id recomend manually setting the devices to master and slave etc.
July 4, 2007 9:22:50 AM

Ok i was digging around and i found an IDE cable i didnt know i had!
changed the IDE cable and it passed the Chkdsk! and all my files have been restored to normal!

Thnk Fk..

However The DVD drive is now not plugged in because the cable wont reach
(same type of cable as before except the middle IDE connector is in a different place)

1) is there any way to extend the IDE cable?
2) what are the jumper settings i will need to have it set in this configuration?

mobo > HDD > DVD (as i said earlier it has to be in this order :/ )

the HDD is a 300gb storage drive as i said earlier.
does the hdd need to be the master on the cable?
July 4, 2007 9:47:31 AM

Just buy a new IDE cable they are cheap, with shipping probably even cheaper from a local store.
Quote:
ok IDE rules - The blue connector has to goto the motherboard, the other end of the cable goes to the master device and the middle connector is for slave, Cable Select (CS) has never worked for me so id recomend manually setting the devices to master and slave etc.

If you want to strap master/slave then look on the drive for strap information or go to the manufacturers website.
July 4, 2007 10:08:58 AM

There is something else to consider. When you are accessing the DVD/CD drive on the same cable as your HDD then the HDD read/write will be much slower. So you will probably want to consider getting the SATA drive down the road. If you do get a SATA drive, then you should get a drive with perpendicular magnetic recording, such as a Seagate 7200.10. There are others with PMR as well. Check the THG HDD charts.
July 4, 2007 10:35:53 AM

thnx for all input guys!

Zorg: i dont think i will be accessing DVD and writing to HDD at same time so i dont think that will be a problem

what do you mean by straping?
its a Western DIgital 300gb SE Caviar and a Liteon cd/dvd combo

WD Diagnostic tools still does not recognise the drive.
July 4, 2007 11:29:07 AM

Quote:
what do you mean by straping?
its a Western DIgital 300gb SE Caviar and a Liteon cd/dvd combo

WD Diagnostic tools still does not recognise the drive.
Strapping is the same as jumpering. Here is a link to the WD jumper settings. The HDD should be jumpered as slave and the DVD should be jumpered as master. I will let you search liteon for the jumper setting. You may be able to find it on the drive itself. Quick question, can you see the drive in BIOS?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...
July 4, 2007 12:14:26 PM

The drive appears in Bios.

i have hooked up a spare drive at the moment for testing (as the cable doesnt reach my normal DVD drive)

Both set to CS and it appeard HDD slave DVD master.
HDD working fine was able to chkdsk it and am playing music from it now.

however if i open the WD diagnostic tool my computer will crash (with both drives connected and set to CS.

i have just bought a 5.25 - 3.5 converter bracket online nice and cheap.

i guess my questions now refer to why the WD tools are not picking the drive up and causing my pc to crash
July 4, 2007 12:32:22 PM

Get a new ide 80 wire cable set the hard drive to master and the cd drive to slave.
Connect to the motherbaord ide slot 1.

Run the WD tools.

If no luck, try on ide 2 and do the above.

If still no luck rma the drive.
a b G Storage
July 4, 2007 12:44:45 PM

Try the new hard drive WITHOUT the DVD drive connected at all. Set the HD to 'single' with a jumper. See what happens. I'm not entirely sure you have ruled out some sort of master/slave type problem. Sorry in advance if you have already tried this.
July 4, 2007 6:02:19 PM

You are booting from the DVD/CD to life guard? If you have floppy you could boot to a floppy. Usually it doesn't matter if the HDD is slave or master, but that mobo might have the Jmicron controller which is crap IMO.
Step1 set jumpers from cable select to master - DVD and slave - HDD. If this doesn't work go into hardware manager and make sure that both drives are running in DMA mode. IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller -> primary IDE Channel ->advanced settings. If this doesn't work as a last ditch put the HDD on the end on the cable and the DVD in the middle and strap the HDD as master and the DVD as slave. If that doesn't work get a SATA drive and sell your brother the PATA.
July 4, 2007 7:35:06 PM

IDE rules:

Blue connector connects to the motherboard. If Asus cable check the labels on the IDE cable.

Master allways on the connector end of the IDE cable, Slave on the middle connector.

If HDD and optical on same IDE cable set HDD as Master on the connector at the end of the cable and the optical drive as Slave on the middle connector.

Do not use jumper settings CSEL (Cable Select) on optical drives and do not mix jumper settings CSEL and Master/Slave on the same IDE cable.

If the standard 60cm cable is too short try find a 80cm or a longer -shielded- cable.
!