Last response: in CPUs
July 3, 2007 10:16:31 PM

first off here is my specs...

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/3/2007, 18:09:14
Machine name: JASON
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061
System Model: PN235AA-ABA SR1232OM NA440
BIOS: Rev. 3.10
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 370MB used, 2091MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

The problem im having is if i start to play a online game like WoW or another game that takes alot of cpu i restart right as it loads ....now i know your asking me if my comp is heating up well it was then i cleaned out the fan and heat sink i fixed that but still restarts and when it goes to the windows load screen it keeps restartign like 5-8 times ive even unchecked the box in performace tab to not shut comp down but STILL restarts if i try to play it now i can play The sims online which doesnt take alot of cpu and process speed fine but other games that take alot i cant ...my comp never did this until here recently and ive tryed all the adware and virus scans and cleaned all of the stuff i could find out now my powersuppy doesnt have any drivers cant find out where to find them but it works fine im finally outta options...so idk thats where you guys come in help plz. :cry: 

More about : random restarts plz

July 3, 2007 11:52:24 PM

Restored comp to a earlyer date and now its doing ok on windows loadups but still restarting on game loads.......plz help
July 4, 2007 2:34:46 AM

Check your temps.
Related resources
July 4, 2007 2:49:04 AM

Do us a favor...when you get your answer, delete that book you cut and pasted in your first post. All that info isnt going to help anyway.

Thanx
July 4, 2007 12:27:45 PM

ok now my restarts on windows loading screen have came back as well like 5-10 times....dunno not had alot of comps do this either maybe this s triggering it my System idle process is in the 95-99.......i know thats stuff running in the background but i dont have very many things when i check my windows task on owner processes running and ive ran norton to see if i had a virus and its come up with none....
July 4, 2007 6:52:05 PM

i believe ive found my problem....i cleaned out my fan and heatsink but it kept restarting ...then my final idea to do was do a C drive check to check for errors on drive...and after comp restarted to do the check on C drive and got done now im able to restart and load all games without comp random restarting.... im only good at hardware not software so im asking the TG members could this have been my prob bad sectors that needed repaired??.....
July 4, 2007 9:07:59 PM

I guess that could have been the problem.. who knows what software was damaged? As for the system idle process, that is how much you have left, not what is actually running. Keep checking that harddrive though, mostly bad sectors don't just pop up. Maybe create a backup of your important files before it fails on you..

GL.
July 5, 2007 9:59:01 AM

its weird....at times it runs fine and seems ive found the prob then BAM it comes back and my fan and heatsink ive checked comp it isnt running hot....and only does this when i try to run <Certain> programs like WoW or another high system game but if i run The sims online or some low end grapic game it runs like a charm. :oops:  ...because it started back again today....so idk
July 5, 2007 10:25:23 AM

Check temps and check your PSU rails are OK and wattage is enough
July 5, 2007 11:52:30 AM

Make sure you check the temperatures and voltages while you are doing something intensive. A crash when games are loading, a specific point, sounds less like a temperature issue and more like a memory or power issue.

Check the supply voltages when there is a load and also run memtest to check for RAM errors.
July 5, 2007 12:27:49 PM

thats good info but how would i go about checking the power issues??....any programs out there??...
July 5, 2007 12:49:45 PM

for testing the memory variants of memtest 86 are available

im not sure what tool is best for reporting voltages. speedfan might be able to see them? else i used to use motherboard monitor. not sure if thats still about?
July 5, 2007 1:29:05 PM

I'm also of the belief that its probably a p/s issue. The big companies are prone to give you enough p/s for the system you bought but not much in the way of headroom for expansion. Have you upgraded your video card lately or added any other new hardware? Even the addition of a couple of new fans increases the current draw and could cause shut downs.
July 5, 2007 1:40:45 PM

no i put in a allied power supply which is max to 300W but once i installed that didnt have any disc or install stuff for info or drivers for it but for like 2-3 months it worked find could play all those games like WoW,Dark Ages of Camelot no prob even just recently today run some tests with PC Doctor and ran checks on memory and HD and system passed them all.....even cleaned out as ive said in posts before the Fans and heatsink it was pretty messy but clean now and no heat coming from them ive put my hand on the side of the heatsink to see if its hot and not at all not even considered very warm just normal temp....so im lost drivers for my Nvidia are uptodate so idk...thats why ive come here this all of a sudden happen like some file or something has been removed or a bad trojan but ive checked Nortan and nothing on it.....even done House Call nada. :cry: 
July 5, 2007 1:44:22 PM

i have noticed if ive just ....JUST installed a game it works fine for the first few times can play for hours...but if i start it again BAM right as loggin screen comes up restart comp goes and goes into a Restart fit as window load screen pops up...ive seen it restart on me 10+ times as windows trys to load up...but like i said lowend games like The sims online runs fine....hasnt <restarted> on me even once on them.
July 5, 2007 1:52:51 PM

Quote:
no i put in a allied power supply which is max to 300W but once i installed that didnt have any disc or install stuff for info or drivers for it but for like 2-3 months it worked find could play all those games like WoW,Dark Ages of Camelot no prob even just recently today run some tests with PC Doctor and ran checks on memory and HD and system passed them all.....even cleaned out as ive said in posts before the Fans and heatsink it was pretty messy but clean now and no heat coming from them ive put my hand on the side of the heatsink to see if its hot and not at all not even considered very warm just normal temp....so im lost drivers for my Nvidia are uptodate so idk...thats why ive come here this all of a sudden happen like some file or something has been removed or a bad trojan but ive checked Nortan and nothing on it.....even done House Call nada. :cry: 
OK, a 300 watt power supply isnt much. Youve yet to say what kind of graphics card you have or anything else you may have on your rig. If youve been running a 300 watt psu for awhile, its probly just now giving out. Capacitors age, heat eats em up. Give us a lil more on your system please or we cant help you, but personally, I think its your psu, aging and slowly going
July 5, 2007 1:58:27 PM

I agree 300W is not much. You need to post the voltages under highest CPU load that does not crash it - try speedfan to find them and run the sims or whatever you said it was. Also if it is not the power supply and turns out to be memory or HDD corruption PC Doctor isnt going to tell you anything at all. You need memtest86 to exhaustively test the system memory and a suitable tool to scan the hard drive.
July 5, 2007 2:30:03 PM

Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256mb
Temp 1 37C
temp 2 with Sims online running in background as im doing this 48C
HD0: 35C
if i load and unload The sims online it shows Temp 2 getting pretty high to 50C....
and VCORE 1.60V
+3.3V 3.26V
+5V 5.11V
+12V 11.43V
-12V 1.54V
July 5, 2007 3:23:29 PM

Your 12v one looks a bit low, anyone else agree?

300W isn't much but I used to run a GeForce 6600 offof one?

Any suggestions ppl?
July 5, 2007 3:57:10 PM

You didn't state what your graphics card was.

I had a similar random crash-restart problem with my rig when I first built it and was installing the OS. Finally after trying to load the OS several times with no luck I suspected the problem was a duff hard drive. Swapped it with the second drive from my other computer and everything installed and worked fine so a bad sector on the drive would cause the problems you are describing.
July 5, 2007 4:00:56 PM

I would suggest you get a new hard drive before the one you've got packs up entirely. Once you get past 3 years old you're on borrowed time with most HD's
July 5, 2007 4:06:32 PM

And you can run WoW with an FX5200?

My "old computer" circa 2002 Cicero P4 2GHz has an FX5200 (PCI not PCIE) in it and is not up to playing anything much more than Need for Speed programs of that era. It would not play Halo at anything past 800x600 without extreme choppiness and I wouldn't like to even try running FarCry or Half Life on it.

If you're getting into WoW type games would suggest a total rig upgrade as soon as you can afford it.
July 5, 2007 6:52:06 PM

ya thanks for info guys.....ya the Nvidia 5200 runs WoW like a dream accually lol with grapics turned up....prob just buy a whole new comp soon as i can afford it dunno if i want a prebuilt or not looking at ACers and Dells ....any suggestions between those two the ACers using Nvidia Grapics cards and duel-core
July 5, 2007 7:18:36 PM

A few words

Build
It
Yourself
If
You
Are
Vaguley
Competant

:D 
July 6, 2007 12:06:52 AM

well now i believe it ....is getting hot but all my fans are working...so idk what i can do to fix its heating issues it feels cool but ive noticed with more then one program it will shut off comp and restart temp 1 atm is at 53c which on Speedfan is recording its getting hot but on other fan is recording 31c so idk would a house fan cool it off with side caseing off???
July 6, 2007 11:44:37 PM

Try re-applying some thermal grease, artic silver 5 maybe.
!