Sapphire X1950XT 'blinking' problem.

carlw

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
I seem to be having this problem (ie blinking display) even though the over-clocking facility is not even un-locked. Starts after about 3 mins of game-play. Could it be a lack-of-air-flow problem or something? I ask only because I note that the the card temp also reaches nearly 100degC at the same time.

If so, what's a cheap solution?

New card; fresh OS and drivers install. Very latest drivers too.

Thanks all.

Edited to add:
Another thought has just occured. It happes sometimes ;)

The basic/idle temperature of my card is around 70degC. Surely this is way too high? Could I have a faulty board, or just inadequate ventilation? :(

May be the card. My case has just ok airflow, and my 1900xt runs 57c idle, 80 load. Youre running hot, even at idle. Somthings wrong. Check your case for dust, also any wires or obstructions, keep it as open as possible for airflot thru your case, front to back

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
as hot as 70 may sound at idel, it wont damage the card. The card should be able to run fine upto 100-110.

my initial thoughts were more towards your power supply. Can you let us know what make and model the supply is, and also how many amps it has on the various rails ( you will find this info on one side of the psu)

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
It's probably an air flow issue. Make sure that the area is clear in front of the card in the front of the case, so the card can bing in fresh air and make sure nothing is obstructing the card in the back of the case at the second port that the card takes up, that's were it expels the hot air. (It's actually pretty common issue for people to forget to clear the metal piece out of the second bay.)

carlw

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
..(It's actually pretty common issue for people to forget to clear the metal piece out of the second bay.)
No? Really? How could anyone make that simple mistake! :oops::D

HOLY CRAP! I don't believe it. Simply taking that one little bit of metal out has cured the problem! Card now 'idle' at a lower 55degC.

That really is amazing! I feel more than a little stupid :oops:

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
hahaha :lol:

by the way i saw your psu, before u edited the post :p so i got a bone to pick with you :twisted: .

just a word of advice really. Next time dont go cheap on your psu. a £17 500watt psu is not the way to go. Psu's are pretty darn important parts of your pc, and a well made recognised 400 watt psu would do better than a 600 watt unknown psu in most cases.

If your psu is not well made, you have no idea how long it would last. for all you know it could pack it in tomorrow and take half your pc with it. Its not a common thing, but the risk is there.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
..(It's actually pretty common issue for people to forget to clear the metal piece out of the second bay.)
No? Really? How could anyone make that simple mistake! :oops::D

HOLY CRAP! I don't believe it. Simply taking that one little bit of metal out has cured the problem! Card now 'idle' at a lower 55degC.

That really is amazing! I feel more than a little stupid :oops:

No worries. I did research on this card before I bought it, and that's how I knew about the second bay thing, so I knew before hand to make sure that was open. 8)

carlw

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Well yeah, but I suppose it is kinda obvious. Then again, the hard stuff I can do, it's usually the easy stuff I miss! Well, that's my excuse anyway :p;)

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Well yeah, but I suppose it is kinda obvious. Then again, the hard stuff I can do, it's usually the easy stuff I miss! Well, that's my excuse anyway :p;)

The first time I built the computer in the sig, I forgot to plug in the 4 pin connector to my mobo. Thank god the Mobo is designed to not turn on if there are power issues. :)

carlw

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
The good thing about this new PSU is that it has the power connector for the GFX card built-in. Wondered what it was for when I first saw it. I knew my old one didn't have it :)

Incidently, is there anything like a SysTray monitor for the ATI cards; to save me having to load the CCC to keep an eye on the cards temperature. (Yes, I am now paranoid about it :))

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I like the ATItool It gives you all the information like the amps being pulled, the temp of the GPU, RAM, and general temp of the card (I think), and the fan speed. Plus you can modify the fan speeds, and change the clock speeds of the GPU and RAM, plus you can turn off the ATI 2d/3d speed stepping, just in case you want to run the GPU version of Fold@Home. There are several options too, but I haven't played with them, yet.

Edit: Does anyone know if there are instability issues when Overclocking the x1950xt with the CCC, Like if there are speeds that both the GPU and RAM need to be at so both can work fluidly together? I used the auto Overclock utility on the CCC and tried out the new speed in Oblivion (I saw a slight improvement), and after about 3 or 4 minutes in the same area, the program froze and started crashing. After the freeze it was like the program minimized, but I could still see the frozen picture, and then I was able to find it in the tray and it came back on, but my key board stopped responding, so I had to close the program out with the task manager.