Is the Dell Windows Xp Reinstallation disc also for recovery?

Hi,

My computer has been victim to a malware attack (exactly as described here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-XP-Logs-Then-Immediately-Logs-Off-t15771.html ) and while I have the Windows XP reinstallation disc which was supplied with my laptop, I'm unsure whether this is the same as the recovery disc talked about in the thread. I don't want to reinstall the OS as obviously I can't back up any of my files - does anyone know if the reinstallation CD also contains a recovery option?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about dell windows reinstallation disc recovery
  1. If the CD says Dell Windows XP (Home or Pro) CD, it will get you to the Recovery Console.
  2. Grumpy,
    I have had the same problem with a few differences.
    My computer is a Dell Vostro 400 desktop.

It became infected and I managed to remove the problem using Malware Bytes.
    The system ran okay for a few days but seemed a bit laggy until finally right in the middle of viewing a webpage, the system shut down and would not reboot.

I have run the diagnostic and received the error message "Windows could not start because the followig file is missing or corrupt:
    WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM."

I am not really computer literate so I hesitate to use the reinstallation CD if it means loosing everything on my C drive.

Can you just confirm it is safe to use this disc or do I need to get a copy of the orignal XP disc which I do not have?
    The reinstallation disc reads - Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks for any help.
  3. Thanks Grumpt,
    I'll give it a try when I get home from work this evening.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Data Recovery Dell Windows XP