E6420 overclocking

PartEleven

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I'm trying to overclock an E6420 to 3.2ghz, but My system blue screens and restarts during Orthos when running at 400 FSB. I've done extensive testing on memtest to check the limits of my RAM, and I know that's not the issue. The temperatures are a bit toasty at 63C because I'm cooling it passively with a Scythe Ninja rev. B. I'm using a P180 case, so there's two 120mm fans near it exhausting hot air out the back and out the top. Does anyone know what's the issue here? I thought an E6420 would hit 3.2ghz easily, and often exceeding that with good cooling. The temps are also higher than what I would like, but then again I am using passive cooling. Anyone know what the overclocking limits are for passive cooling with a Scythe Ninja? I could put a fan on it, but I need the space next to the ninja for my RAM cooler, which I really need. I've also remounted the ninja twice already, so I'm positive it's not poor thermal contact. I think my CPU has a convex IHS. Maybe that's the problem?

System specs:
E6420
Gigabyte 965P-DS3
3GB PC6400 RAM (D9 chips)
Scythe Ninja Rev. B
P180 case

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
What are the settings u have for your OC? Have u turned off many of the accelerators such as virualization technology? What are your voltages? Also, If you can somehow put the fan on I would to try and drop those temps. This could possibly be a PSU problem! Is this a new build you have done or have u had it for a while? What thermal paste are u using?

Best,

3Ball

PartEleven

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
This is my 2nd build ever, and my first build overclocking. I OC'ed using BillParrish's guide over at HardForums. My OC settings are 400 FSB with 1.3 vcore and 2.2V for RAM (according to crucial ballistix specs). No accelerators turned on. I'm pretty sure it's not a PSU problem, as I'm using a Corsair HX520. Unless I've got a lemon. Thermal paste is AS5. I've planned this build out extensively and carefully selected premium components, so I don't know what's up.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
This is my 2nd build ever, and my first build overclocking. I OC'ed using BillParrish's guide over at HardForums. My OC settings are 400 FSB with 1.3 vcore and 2.2V for RAM (according to crucial ballistix specs). No accelerators turned on. I'm pretty sure it's not a PSU problem, as I'm using a Corsair HX520. Unless I've got a lemon. Thermal paste is AS5. I've planned this build out extensively and carefully selected premium components, so I don't know what's up.

Did you press Ctrl+F1 once you entered the BIOS? There are a ton of hidden options in there that need to be tweaked in order to stabilize your machine.

Try 399 MHz FSB and/or 401. I have read that this helps somehow.

Did you apply a thin strip of AS5 down the centre of the IHS and let pressure and heat spread it? This is the recommended method. I believe that there is a guide or tutorial on the vendor's website.

If you haven't already, be sure to disable Virtualization, CPU throttling, EIST etc. in order to achieve a maximum overclock.

Lastly, drop your RAM to 5-5-5-15 regardless of what speed it's running at. You would be surprised how much stability this creates.

I hope that something here helps!

PartEleven

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys. Rushfan, I already checked those, and the weren't the problem. Turns out I needed to bump up the CPU voltage a bit from 1.35 to 1.375 in the BIOS. CPU-Z reports this as 1.328-1.344V at idle and 1.312V at load. I think my problem had something to do with vdrop (not too familiar with this issue) causing my cpu voltage to dip below the stability point. Now I need to figure out a way to rig a fan to my ninja to lower those temps!

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys. Rushfan, I already checked those, and the weren't the problem. Turns out I needed to bump up the CPU voltage a bit from 1.35 to 1.375 in the BIOS. CPU-Z reports this as 1.328-1.344V at idle and 1.312V at load. I think my problem had something to do with vdrop (not too familiar with this issue) causing my cpu voltage to dip below the stability point. Now I need to figure out a way to rig a fan to my ninja to lower those temps!

Voltage was my next guess. My E6400 needs 1.36v to maintain stability at 3.4 GHz. The CPU idles at 45C at that voltage and peaks at 61C during torture testing. I keep my Zalman at ~2100 RPM so that it's not noisy. I could shave another degree or two off by cranking up the fan, but I prefer quiet to cool.

I'm glad that it's working OK. "Even" at 3.2 GHz, that CPU is smokin' fast!

TheRodent

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Something to note here. If you are using a 965 chipset motherboard the 400fsb is important. This is due to northbridge 'straps' or automatic adjustment of its internal clocks. Some reviews have found that memory performance is tweaked for 400mhz fsb therefore 3.2Ghz for the 6400 is an optimum. As a result the chipset can get very hot.

Also i found that prime 95 was a good indicator of system stability. To pass prime i had to raise the voltage to 1.4V also.