Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Options For Dell Inspirion 8600

Last response: in CPUs
July 4, 2007 2:33:04 AM

I have researched it and a pentium M is the only option. I have stock cooling and I simply require better CPU performance. What is the highest mobile CPU I can buy? It seems that the cost of said CPU will be under buying a whole new laptop.

thanks.

KA
July 4, 2007 4:46:55 AM

However, your laptop may not be designed with the cooling, power supply, or BIOS support needed for it; you'll need to check with Dell as to what's the fastest model CPU the laptop will support. It may also be physically difficult to install the CPU.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2007 12:51:05 PM

For the price of the 1.8 Pentium M ( which is what you would need in order to see any improvement) you could buy a new Core 2 Duo laptop with a 1.8 that would blow the 8600 out of the water.
July 4, 2007 1:35:53 PM

I'd suggest you get a Core 2 laptap as well. Much better than upgrading your old one and that will not last long depending on what you use it for.
July 4, 2007 2:00:45 PM

i wouldn't mind that, but all the new ones have vista and i don't want vista.
July 4, 2007 2:59:42 PM

^^ i need it in a laptop though.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2007 3:05:12 PM

And you can have it, use the drop down menu's, change the "Stockroom" box to "Inspiron and XPS Laptops".
July 4, 2007 7:39:45 PM

Quote:
this is what the dell site says:

It also says:
Quote:
Please note that some processors that physically plug into a system may not work depending on core architecture. To ensure compatibility of a processor with your system, we recommend that you use the Service Tag lookup feature in the Parts For Your Dell™ tool. This feature allows us to determine the type/speed of the processor originally shipped with your system and recommend a compatible part.

(excellent advice)

However, since you can buy a brand new Compaq laptop for around $500 with a faster CPU, bigger hard disk, at least as good a display, etc, it doesn't seem very practical to spend $300-500 or more just to upgrade to a slower CPU.
July 4, 2007 8:15:53 PM

Quote:
this is what the dell site says:

It also says:
Quote:
Please note that some processors that physically plug into a system may not work depending on core architecture. To ensure compatibility of a processor with your system, we recommend that you use the Service Tag lookup feature in the Parts For Your Dell™ tool. This feature allows us to determine the type/speed of the processor originally shipped with your system and recommend a compatible part.

(excellent advice)

However, since you can buy a brand new Compaq laptop for around $500 with a faster CPU, bigger hard disk, at least as good a display, etc, it doesn't seem very practical to spend $300-500 or more just to upgrade to a slower CPU.

seconded.
If you want something faster, then buying a new laptop would be the easiest way to speed things up with newer technology. then, you'll have two laptops! one can be set up to run folding@home when not in use.

If you don' t want that laptop anymore, i'll be glad to take it! :) 
February 28, 2009 4:26:41 PM

Upgrading old laptops tends not to be cost effective these days. That said, I think there's a number of people including myself that do. We could debate the 'why' aspect but here's what I've done.

Dell Inspirion 8600
CPU: 1.x -> 2.1 ghz
Memory: 512k -> 2 gb
Video card: 128 mb card -> F3515 ATI pro turbo 128 mb
Hard drive: 4200 -> 5400 -> (7200 or SSD[memory drive] 'to be done')
CD/DVD: CD-RW/DVD-R -> CD-RW/DVD-RWrewriteable lightscribe burner

I've managed to cook a couple motherboards and video cards farting around with this stuff so be careful and take your time. I now use a cooler tray under my laptop to help with cooling even while laying on the sofa. Find one that's not a burden. Most of the stuff I buy is from ebay but you don't have to get it from there but you can find almost anything on ebay and if your patient you can often get a good deal.

I'm happy to say my 8600 can run eve-online with no problems which is what I want it to do. One other point I'd like to make is that you can get uxga 1900x1200 resolution much cheaper with a used laptop. The downside is that if you use it every day, parts can go. The upside is that dell is common and their are lots of parts available often for a decent price.

For me, it was easier to justify smaller dollar amount purchases to my wife to fix and upgrade my laptop computer then to shell out over $1000 for a new laptop. In my view, if I'm going to buy a new laptop I want it to be 'good' so it's going to cost more than a few hundred dollars. Since I originally bought a Dell Inspirion 8500 new, I've upgraded that computer as well in a similar fashion that has become my wife's laptop. She's happy and I'm happy as long as she's not hogging up too much wireless bandwidth! :) 
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2009 1:43:36 AM

I upgraded my Inspiron 8600 to a Latitude E6500. :) 

You can buy some pretty good laptops now for just over $500, and a core2 would provide a big improvement in performance not just because of the increase in operating frequency but also because if you have one thing running the machine will still be usable.
!