Wireless PC keyboard and mouse suddenly stop working

Birdbrain2

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
MS Wireless Mouse and Keyboard freeze after log-in screen accepts my "enter" command from keyboard to start up XP which boots to my desktop. Mouse doesn't respond before or after login.

Keyboard doesn't respond after login to desktop is complete, so I have desktop screen on monitor, but no access. Remote sensor for keyboard and mouse, and "connects" or stops searching on the number "1" on sensor, but it used to stop on only the letter "F." Wires from sensor to computer-- has PS/2 plug (for keyboard?)and USB plug (for mouse?),

and so, how can I perform anything, see devices, do tests, searches, etc., when both imput devices are not working? The only way to shut down computer is to hold the Power On button for many seconds. Does this sound like a virus? Any Suggestions?

Birdbrain2

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
new batteries, close to sensor, everything's the same as before they both stopped.

Now, after pulling all power cords, unplugging and reattaching the ps/2 and usb cords, and vacuuming the inside of my tower, it's started working again. Thanks for your response.

Birdbrain2

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

I'm not hearing beeps, and get no black BIOS screen. I believe I have a problem with ASUS A8N-SLI chipset, a small bright metal fan, called "chioset fan," made noise until six months ago, then no noise, and I didn't check back then whether fan had died or not...I just learned it's dead, probably for a long time with some heavy game use too.

So I fear that the MOBO chipset might also have failed without proper cooling. Don't know how to check this to be sure, as a few days ago it was an intermittent problem, first the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work after login, then it progressed quickly to the current, won't boot, no signal getting to monitor, situation. Next step ... I'm unsure what to do...

Ok, that means you aren't successfully POSTing. Try removing the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard next to the case. Leave the CPU and fan connected. Connect the PSU, 1 stick of RAM, and power switch. Everything else can be unplugged. Try booting with only those devices. If you get a beep, then plug in the video card. If you still get a beep, and see the BIOS screen, connect the hard drive.

Continue adding 1 piece of hardware at a time, until it fails to POST. Then you'll know what is faulty.

Birdbrain2

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks for the help, no POST audio coming from speaker, so after all tests, I bought a replacement MOBO on Amazon and hope I'm in better shape soon.

Birdbrain2

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

The new (used only available) arrived, and upon a visual inspection, it has one problem that you might be able to answer. The MOBO comes with two PCI slots for dual cards; the top one is blue, the bottom one is black. I have one GeForce 6x series video card, which is attached to the top, blue slot on my original MOBO. Both the blue and the black slots have at the rear end a plastic arm/support that hooks onto and supports the weight of the video card.

On the used MOBO I just purchased, the blue PCI slot's rear video card support is broken, the attaching part has been broken in half and is missing. My Question: if I am using only one video card, must it install into the BLUE PCI video slot on the MOBO only, or can I instead install it in the lower, black PCI slot, that has the complete card support mechanism in place? I'd like to do this if possible.

Or, if I have to use the blue slot if installing only one video card, do I need to support the weight of the card with something between it and the MOBO? Does anyone know if I can easily remove, or pull off this good mechanism from the dead MOBO and re-install it on the end of the blue PCI slot?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS