Will an 8800 work in linux?!

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
hey guys, im gonna build a cousin a new pc, and he is planning on running linux (and xp on a separate HDD) and i need to know if the 8800 will run in linux.
i have heard that linux works better with nivdea cards, (drivers ext.) but since the 8800 is dx10, will it work? also can you post me with some drivers if there are any.
thanks guys

sailer

Splendid
No graphics card will run will run DX10 in Linux at the moment. Maybe sometime someone will crack the code and patch it in, but not yet. I just added that bit of information because the OP mentioned DX10 and I wanted to clarify that even though the 8800 is a DX10 capable card, it will still run DX9 games in Linux. Sorry if I was confusing.

zinaps

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Yo all,

DX10, DX9 in Linux ???
Isn't directx a windows stuff.
As far as i remenber only opengl is available in linux.
Only perhaps with windows emulation software u'll be able to use dx games. I don't even know if hardware acceleration is done by those software. Too long since i checked on those software...

Am i wrong?

sailer

Splendid
Last I read, some of the emulators will run DX pretty well in Linux, but you're right, basically DX is a non issue for Linux and is one reason that Linux has been held back in popularity. Fortunately, a lot of games are ported for GL and do fine with Linux.

So far, at least on my part, I've been referring to DX only to the extent as to whether a DX10 rated card would work in a Linux machine, and it will do that as well as a DX9 rated card would.

bitjix

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I am not an expert, but I don't believe that DirectX runs in Linux (its a Microsoft runtime). Nearly all cards support OpenGL. I would check to see what version of OpenGL is supported and go from there. Also, search the distro's software repository for driver packages that match the graphics card series.